VAR - Yes or no

Should VAR stay?

• Yes

Votes: 14 12.2%
  • No

Votes: 101 87.8%

• Total voters
Not the most popular opinion on this forum I know, but I think the best way to implement VAR (apart from the already-mentioned offsides and goal-line tech) is to allow some form of in-game appeals from managers, with disincentives for frivolous appeals.
You can't rely on the VAR to notify the referee.

I don't see how this helps.

Take the first goal on Saturday. Brentford were convinced it was handball so would have used an appeal. AI was absolutely adamant that under the current handball law (let's not go there...) it should have stood. Whichever way they rule there's still a massive debate about it. Read around about the decision outside of the AFCB and Brentford bubbles and it's about 60-40 that the goal should have stood.

So with the Brenford appeal, you still would have had all the delays that people find annoying and still would have ended up with a decision where there is no right answer. Whichever way it goes, one set of supporter will feel cheated.

Or Arsenal the week before. We absolutely would have used an appeal on the penalty and the disallowed goal/non-given penalty. The ref would still come down on the side of Arsenal, it happened before VAR and hasn't changed with it, so again same delays but no change to the outcomes are far more favourable to a small group of clubs.

Interestingly, again outside the bubble, I'd say opinions on the Arsenal penalty were about a 70-30 shouldn't have been given and 80-20 that the Semenyo goal should have stood. We're still left with no decision given against Arsenal.

You, like me, are not "real" fans
Luckily, in my past excursions back to the home country I’ve been lucky in getting to one or two of our games (home & away). I’m hoping to get lucky when I visit in September so I can tick the, “I’m a real fan” box. Just to add to the hundreds I attended when living within a mile of Dean Court / Fitness First / Vitality.

Scrap it for penalties (fouls or handballs).

Keep goal line technology (which is instant).

Only keep it for offsides if semi-automated and a LOT faster.

Potentially keep for violent conduct where not spotted by the referee (but not to review fouls already seen by the Ref).

Worst thing to happen to the game for years. It's been implemented terribly.

Luckily, in my past excursions back to the home country I’ve been lucky in getting to one or two of our games (home & away). I’m hoping to get lucky when I visit in September so I can tick the, “I’m a real fan” box. Just to add to the hundreds I attended when living within a mile of Dean Court / Fitness First / Vitality.
You will only be a “real” fan for that matchweek. Then you will return to an unreal fan that loves VAR. It’s the rules apparently.

Football didn't have it for more than a hundred years.... And there were far less controversies each season than there are now.
Surely referees are fitter now and can keep pace with the faster speed of the players...so what's the big problem ..and the need for VAR ?
Introduce a system of 'no contact' between players and Referee, as a strict Rule ..only the Captains can consult with the Ref...like they have in Rugby..and many of the controversies will no longer occur !

Mentioned it a few times, but it was only brought in to placate the likes of Ferguson, Wenger and Mourinho, who'd kick up a merry fuss when they felt they'd been wronged, but became all, "I did not see it" when they benefited from a dodgy decision.

Get rid. And only bring it back if managers start complaining when the opposition gets screwed over by a refereeing error.

Owners will vote in the interest of their businesses and it'll stay. If they voted in the interest of their supporters, it would be 20/20 get rid.

I don't see how this helps.

Take the first goal on Saturday. Brentford were convinced it was handball so would have used an appeal. AI was absolutely adamant that under the current handball law (let's not go there...) it should have stood. Whichever way they rule there's still a massive debate about it. Read around about the decision outside of the AFCB and Brentford bubbles and it's about 60-40 that the goal should have stood.

So with the Brenford appeal, you still would have had all the delays that people find annoying and still would have ended up with a decision where there is no right answer. Whichever way it goes, one set of supporter will feel cheated.

And that’s assuming the it has played out as it was and the referee hadn’t just awarded the hand ball on the half way line regardless.

The second goal again the ref had just blown so there’s no room for an appeal there either.

Just to show my ignorance.
This semi automated offside that’s coming in next season.
Does that run along side var or is it separate and so therefore can still be used?
As we’ve been told, it’s a lot better than the current system. :rolleyes:

Just to show my ignorance.
This semi automated offside that’s coming in next season.
Does that run along side var or is it separate and so therefore can still be used?
As we’ve been told, it’s a lot better than the current system. :rolleyes:

It runs alongside VAR in UEFA and FIFA competitions but I’m sure it could run independently of it. Obviously “someone” needs to run it.

Was meant to create a more level playing field with the bigger clubs deemed to get the more favourable decisions pre-VAR. A massive fail in that respect. Whilst we have sub standard officials on the pitch and then behind the screens it will not improve. Also too much tinkering with the rules . The root of VAR evil starts with the PGMOL and that's where the most improvement is needed. The PGMOL needs to be more open and stricter on poor officials performances.

Was meant to create a more level playing field with the bigger clubs deemed to get the more favourable decisions pre-VAR. A massive fail in that respect. Whilst we have sub standard officials on the pitch and then behind the screens it will not improve. Also too much tinkering with the rules . The root of VAR evil starts with the PGMOL and that's where the most improvement is needed. The PGMOL needs to be more open and stricter on poor officials performances.
I do agree that the main issue is the lack of oversight and consequences when a ref has a shocker or shows big club bias.

We could easily live without VAR and accept the odd terrible decision, if at least as a consequence the referees would be held back for a bit, educated with regard to their recent failings and return as better referees.

More oversight, more review and where necessary assistance to improve their performances, perhaps along with a simplification of the most contentious rules, would most likely result in a higher standard of refereeing over time.

If the PGMOL can't handle it, maybe somebody else should have a go.

Whilst I'm sure we all want each and every decision to be correct, the current system is sucking all the joy out of the game with its forensic analysis down to the last pixel, and still getting things wrong. If a method could be deployed more akin to the cricket review system, whereby if there's an element of doubt, then the on-pitch referee's decision stands, I feel it would be a massive step forwards. The VAR is only called in by the team who feel they've been wronged, with a limit to the number of appeals (or reviews) they can request.

Last edited:
Sky say Liverpool and an another club are certainly for it.

Wolves are against it.

Correct decisions have supposedly risen from 82 to 96% correct. How they measure that when so much is down to interpretation I have no idea.

According to Sky Sports News with their feedback this morning via Twitter “the vast majority want to get rid”.

I think fans need to take responsibility for their role in this mess also. The demand for VAR comes from the ridiculous level of scrutiny over every single decision. Fans and others need to accept the authority of the ref and that the 'right' answer is the decision he/she gives live.

A good example is the Arsenal penalty. Keeper rushes out and there is contact that the ref thought was a foul so he gives it. That's the end of it, it's a penalty no matter what the slowed down footage shows. You have to accept this if you want VAR scrapped.

I think fans need to take responsibility for their role in this mess also. The demand for VAR comes from the ridiculous level of scrutiny over every single decision. Fans and others need to accept the authority of the ref and that the 'right' answer is the decision he/she gives live.

A good example is the Arsenal penalty. Keeper rushes out and there is contact that the ref thought was a foul so he gives it. That's the end of it, it's a penalty no matter what the slowed down footage shows. You have to accept this if you want VAR scrapped.

good luck with that! (I totally agree btw)

;