VAR - Yes or no

Should VAR stay?

• Yes

Votes: 14 12.2%
  • No

Votes: 101 87.8%

• Total voters
Obviously we would all moan about it but decisions like that are a small price to pay in my view.

Discussing it afterwards is all part of the game. Especially one-eyed Cherry tinted viewing.

The injustice in the ground when you believe something has gone against you adds to the atmosphere. It builds, it’s alive, it becomes part of the game.

All of that’s been lost.

We've debated this a lot in the pub and my stance is this:

VAR has its place but not in its current guise.
Offside is too granular
It affects celebrating goals which in turn affects enjoyment

My suggestion would be that that VAR is not automatically used apart from potential Red Card offences, not even for offside.

Each team then gets 2 VAR calls per game. If deemed correct, it doesn't get deducted. If its wrong, then you lose that call. 2 wrong calls, then you lose the ability to use VAR

This hands the control to the teams and they get to make that call if they feel there is a chance a foul has occurred and it removes the controversial ones like Semenyo's handball.

If used for offside, then the lines used should be thicker, drawn from the torso or feet whichever is furthest from goal and there must be clear daylight between them. Having an elbow, ear or half a foot is not offside in my opinion.

This in my opinion would improve the game immeasurably.

I think fans need to take responsibility for their role in this mess also. The demand for VAR comes from the ridiculous level of scrutiny over every single decision. Fans and others need to accept the authority of the ref and that the 'right' answer is the decision he/she gives live.

A good example is the Arsenal penalty. Keeper rushes out and there is contact that the ref thought was a foul so he gives it. That's the end of it, it's a penalty no matter what the slowed down footage shows. You have to accept this if you want VAR scrapped.
One of the biggest drivers for VAR was and is TV. The likes of Lineker and co have a lot to answer for. Their incessant demands for VAR were key in bringing it in. Gives them something to talk about each week thereby justifying their jobs. TV introduced the level of scrutiny and undermining of on field decisions before VAR came in, fans have obviously picked up on that and demand it is corrected.

Offside is too granular

My suggestion would be that that VAR is not automatically used apart from potential Red Card offences, not even for offside.

Each team then gets 2 VAR calls per game. If deemed correct, it doesn't get deducted. If its wrong, then you lose that call. 2 wrong calls, then you lose the ability to use VAR

This hands the control to the teams and they get to make that call if they feel there is a chance a foul has occurred and it removes the controversial ones like Semenyo's handball.

I don’t think it would work. The opening goal of any game is always so important that it will always be reviewed. The context of the use of a referral then means the officials are looking for a reason to disallow so anything that can be interpreted as such would be disallowed. The review then remains so the cycle for every goal continues.

Basically it wouldn’t make a jot of difference until the game was basically dead and buried anyway.
If used for offside, then the lines used should be thicker, drawn from the torso or feet whichever is furthest from goal and there must be clear daylight between them. Having an elbow, ear or half a foot is not offside in my opinion.

Thicker lines would certainly work with the current VAR. Give a margin of error or an “umpires call” scenario like with cricket.

The technology advancement with automated offside is however important as it speeds the process up (theoretically).

Offside is too granular

I've always been in favour of this interpretation myself.

Just give the teams some recourse, should they feel that an injustice has been done.

However, the current interpretation of VAR has shown that even when the refs watch the video from multiple angles at different speeds, they still somehow manage to come to the wrong decision. I can't see that ever changing, so we might as well scrap the whole video review thing and let the game flow.

Let's get back to letting the on field ref make all of the the mistakes. At least we'll know who to blame.

Let's get back to telling him that he is visually impaired, has a slightly niche sexual orientation and has a side hustle which involves bending over with his trousers down ! I think this is the way forward even if it is a backward step.

I don’t think it would work. The opening goal of any game is always so important that it will always be reviewed. The context of the use of a referral then means the officials are looking for a reason to disallow so anything that can be interpreted as such would be disallowed. The review then remains so the cycle for every goal continues.

Basically it wouldn’t make a jot of difference until the game was basically dead and buried anyway.

Thicker lines would certainly work with the current VAR. Give a margin of error or an “umpires call” scenario like with cricket.

The technology advancement with automated offside is however important as it speeds the process up (theoretically).
Why would it be reviewed? I'm confused.

If you mean the team that conceded ask for a VAR review then that is their prerogative but they would have to say where they felt it was a foul, they couldn't just ask willy nilly.

It would be a big risk asking for a review and risk losing the ability to use VAR later on in the game.

One of the biggest drivers for VAR was and is TV. The likes of Lineker and co have a lot to answer for. Their incessant demands for VAR were key in bringing it in. Gives them something to talk about each week thereby justifying their jobs. TV introduced the level of scrutiny and undermining of on field decisions before VAR came in, fans have obviously picked up on that and demand it is corrected.

That's true but they did that because the fans absolutely lapped it up.

That's true but they did that because the fans absolutely lapped it up.
They did, started almost as a novelty with different camera angles, slow motion etc. Till we reach today when the major talking point each week is ref decisions and VAR. I hardly ever watch MOTD, haven't got SKY, just fed up with the relentless picking over an offside or a penalty for handball.
I don't want us to get relegated but my god it was so much more enjoyable in the C'ship when you could celebrate a goal.

Fine, let's get rid of it but realise that in today's 100 mile an hour game that refs and lino's will make human errors.
What needs to stop is Lineker and his cohorts sitting in a warm studio, watching slow mo's over and over and broadcasting to the nation that they were right and the officials wrong. The game has finished they are not going to change the result so why do it?
Let's also have clear daylight with offside and not someone's toenail.

Not against scrapping, wouldn't shed tears for it, if the vote goes that way.

Would like to think a stripped back implementation could be feasible though. Stop over-thinking it and constantly fudging rules for it.

The issues underlying all this are human and cultural, and I don't think scrapping VAR alone will fix those.

In my opinion it should be scrapped for offside until such a time that the technology allows for accurate and instant decisions. I don't know if this will ever be possible though because you can't imagine technology would be able to sort out a decision like Dom's goal at West Ham this season, i.e. one where the player is in an offside position but the ball is played to him by the defender.

Interesting debate on TS about VAR now... I've voted to keep VAR as I stand by the fact that it is not VAR that is the issue, it's how we implement it and those that are implementing it are not good enough.

The two issues are speed of decisions and spontaneity of the game and celebrations... If VAR is made better to include sensors in shirts and the balls to make the offside issues semi-automated and instant, then you get your spontaneity and we can again celebrate goals without having to worry about it being ruled out, and waiting 5 minutes to find out..

If VAR decisions are then streamlined and we look at changing how it is used, giving responsibility back to the on-field ref making the decisions, and calling for VAR if needed, it could make the fans' experience of VAR a lot better.

Essentially, if there is subjectivity involved, it's the on field decision that stands... and before anyone says how do you establish subjectivity, you take the VARs and if not all agree on something having seen it back quickly... it's subjective and we move on...

VAR should be used for factual stuff only, and that can only be done using sensors etc.

There's just no point in it.......a tool is only as good as the person using it......refs shouldn't be allowed anywhere near Var....it should be completely independent.
Expecting refs to call out other refs errors is never going to work.......the clear and obvious rule was an absolute con.
This is it.

We've watched monkeys cutting down trees with sharp rocks, given them chainsaws and wondered why there's chaos.

;