VAR - Yes or no

Should VAR stay?

• Yes

Votes: 14 12.2%
  • No

Votes: 101 87.8%

• Total voters
Not the most popular opinion on this forum I know, but I think the best way to implement VAR (apart from the already-mentioned offsides and goal-line tech) is to allow some form of in-game appeals from managers, with disincentives for frivolous appeals.
You can't rely on the VAR to notify the referee.
Love it- two lawyers allowed in the technical area per team. Sign me up!

Not too bad, you? :)
Very.

My point was that Sky loves VAR because it 'enhances' their programmes and they then have spin-off shows where they talk about the decisions. If VAR was as accurate as they claim then they wouldn't need these things.

For fans in the stadium, we don't have a clue whats going on. And as has been said many times before, it kills the spontaneity.

So nothing to do with 'real' or 'plastic' fans. I'll save that for another thread ;-)

Very.

My point was that Sky loves VAR because it 'enhances' their programmes and they then have spin-off shows where they talk about the decisions. If VAR was as accurate as they claim then they wouldn't need these things.

For fans in the stadium, we don't have a clue whats going on. And as has been said many times before, it kills the spontaneity.

So nothing to do with 'real' or 'plastic' fans. I'll save that for another thread ;-)
I was responding to this comment
This is it. It’s there to enrich the enjoyment of armchair supporters while pissing off real fans.

In my opinion VAR should only be used for offsides. Everything else is just a matter of opinion, VAR just provides more opinions. Let the official just referee the game. For years we accepted that human error exists and that that is the same for all teams.

Just give the teams some recourse, should they feel that an injustice has been done.

However, the current interpretation of VAR has shown that even when the refs watch the video from multiple angles at different speeds, they still somehow manage to come to the wrong decision. I can't see that ever changing, so we might as well scrap the whole video review thing and let the game flow.
I think that IF the official is asked to review a very specific question, he will feel forced to take it more seriously than otherwise.
Take our 'goal' v Brentford. Ref blows his whistle and calls a foul on Solanke. Iraola says "please check for a shirt pull on Phillip".

Now that ref has only one thing to check: did Phil Bill's shirt get pulled or not? He can't hide behind vague bromides like 'didn't see any clear and obvious errors' - he just has to answer the question. If he watches that footage and comes out saying "no, Phillip's shirt was not pulled", then he looks like a complete idiot.

No for me.
It's definitely affected my enjoyment of the game, I've let my Sky subscription run out as I've stopped watching as many neutral games now. Even celebrating goals at Dean Court is half hearted now, always second guessing it.

This was a pretty yawn worthy list concocted when we all know the real reason they've raised it is because of the decisions that didn't go their way. I mean, be honest. Narry a squeak from them about most of these issues in the past.

Yawn worthy that is until the final point.

They have one publicly confirmed ally on this. One. And they've burned them with the final item. Genuinely hilarious.

Take that Notts. Even your allies think you're insane.

Glorious.

Just to show my ignorance.
This semi automated offside that’s coming in next season.
Does that run along side var or is it separate and so therefore can still be used?
As we’ve been told, it’s a lot better than the current system. :rolleyes:
It's the "semi" part of the "semi-automated" that is a concern. A VAR2 type nightmare?

I think that IF the official is asked to review a very specific question, he will feel forced to take it more seriously than otherwise.
Take our 'goal' v Brentford. Ref blows his whistle and calls a foul on Solanke. Iraola says "please check for a shirt pull on Phillip".

Now that ref has only one thing to check: did Phil Bill's shirt get pulled or not? He can't hide behind vague bromides like 'didn't see any clear and obvious errors' - he just has to answer the question. If he watches that footage and comes out saying "no, Phillip's shirt was not pulled", then he looks like a complete idiot.
....but the problem will be, "shirt pulled but not enough to distract him". It will be fiddled with just like everything else.

No for me.
It's definitely affected my enjoyment of the game, I've let my Sky subscription run out as I've stopped watching as many neutral games now. Even celebrating goals at Dean Court is half hearted now, always second guessing it.
I get that.

I’m probably in the minority but my interest in football is solely based on watching AFCB live. I very rarely watch other games and don’t think I’ve even watched us back on motd this season. Football with VAR just doesn’t work for me.

In my opinion VAR should only be used for offsides. Everything else is just a matter of opinion, VAR just provides more opinions. Let the official just referee the game. For years we accepted that human error exists and that that is the same for all teams.
Quite .

The fans never asked for it .

Was the likes of Wenger and Warnock when a decision went against their team .

I don’t think appeals would work in football unfortunately.

Teams would want 2 then 3 then 4 etc and won’t accept losing a review because the ref goes against them .

;