VAR

Just taken 3 minutes and 20 seconds to disallow a Sheffield United goal for offside.

Both presenters for Sky thought it was a goal. “What has happened to the game” shouts Jeff Stelling.

My brother is a Tottenham season ticket holder - and he thought it was onside!!

Just out of interest are there any fans still in favour of VAR? How do you do one of those poll things?
The basic premise of using some video to assist some black and white situations, I'm not totally lost on that just yet.
The current situation is an absolute dogs dinner though, we basically have a sport where the rule book changes every week. A random decision generator like a magic 8 ball, would be a more reliable and consistent system. It seems pretty clear that it's usage and margins for decision making differ depending on the game and the teams involved, which is ridiculous. It's no less inconsistent, opaque, or infuriating than the previous setup. Definitely back to the drawing board.

Reactions: drd
It's almost funny how bad it is now tbh. I was always against it purely for the impact it would have on the flow of the game- but they've cocked it up far more spectacularly than I ever thought they would.

I really can't believe how many supposedly objective decisions they've gotten wrong so far; we sort of keep track of them with this thread but I'd love to see a proper list of the number of errors made so far.

Have always been against it because you just knew its implementation would be a complete f... up and the ones that would suffer most would be the fans who pay their money at the ground. My fears have been well founded. In fact it's an even bigger f... up than I feared.
Just scrap it. Tell linesman to give any benefit of the doubt to the attacking side. Put the handball rule back to where it was (same for defence as attack ffs), use retrospective video evidence to punish offenders that should have been red carded, yellow card divers feigners of injury and time wasters and hold refs to account when they don't punish them, and finally give penalties consistently for holding in the area.
There, thats it all sorted...............................:)

The ref didn't give a penalty to Man City and VAR upheld his decision. If he had given the penalty, you can guarantee that VAR would not have overturned it, which begs the question- what is the point of VAR?

Manchester City's last minute winner against Tottenham was ruled out after VAR noted that the ball hit the hand of one of their players.
Yesterday the ball hit the hand of one of their players - but this wasn't taken into account in the penalty decision, when it then hit the hand of a Liverpool player - but still wasn't given.

Could we have some consistency please?

Well I read views from 3 retired officials who said different things .

One said it was a pen, another thought not and the last thought it wasn't but the Premier league gave the wrong reasons.

Just about sums it all up !

The fact that people who did want VAR, or still want VAR in some format, hate it almost as much as those who have never wanted it, is such a big indication of how big a failure the implementation has been.

I know this forum is pretty much one way traffic on this subject but in case anyone wants to read the other side of the story on some of the decisions someone posted this link today and I found it quite interesting.

https://twitter.com/dalejohnsonespn?lang=en

I'm not saying I agree with everything he says but at least he's communicating things a little clearer than many of those officially in charge.

I also thought the statements that the offside law is judged on the point of contact not the point of release quite interesting. I'll be honest, I thought it was the latter and have seen people post on here complaining how they can possible judge exactly when the ball has left the foot before.

Last edited:
Just out of interest are there any fans still in favour of VAR? How do you do one of those poll things?

I've only been able to watch a few matches live this season as other things are getting in the way and it probably continue to be like that until after Xmas. So I haven't really seen much of the chaos, just bits and pieces when I've managed to watch one of our games or, here and there, another match. I'll reserve full judgement until then.

My initial point that I made when it was first mooted was that as soon as they started talking about it then it was inevitable it was coming and so I'd rather the focus be in implementing the best system possible. From the feedback it's clear the PL have ballsed up that aspect.

However, it will be changed and refined over time. Anyone that thinks it's going to be scrapped... forget it. It's still about getting the best possible system in place. I know some won't accept that but that's how it is and will be.

From the little I've seen I think that without VAR in place, Martial would have been given a penalty against us for Man Utd. Not because it was a penalty but because that was a safer decision for a ref in terms of media grief post match as we've seen over previous seasons. Anything remotely 50-50 in a game changing situation was always given for the top six club. This time, he could not give the pen because that's what he thought and let VAR fix it if he got it wrong. So the Man Utd fans ire was instead aimed in that direction.

Last season, the ref gives the pen. Shearer would then later on say there was contact so he had a right to go down. Others debate and say they can see why it was given even if it was soft. Man Utd get given another advantage on the pitch and we maybe don't get that win.

I know this forum is pretty much one way traffic on this subject but in case anyone wants to read the other side of the story on some of the decisions someone posted this link today and I found it quite interesting.

https://twitter.com/dalejohnsonespn?lang=en

I'm not saying I agree with everything he says but at least he's communicating things a little clearer than many of those officially in charge.

I also though the statements that the offside law is judged on the point of contact not the point of release quite interesting. I'll be honest, I thought it was the latter and have seen people post on here complaining how they can possible judge exactly when the ball has left the foot before.

Good explanation even though I completely disagree with the whole concept.

I didn't know it was point of contact either. Is that new? Probably wasn't a thing before millimetres came into it.

Point of contact, point of release its all bullsh.t based on a microsecond. In any event the same argument applies. How can you tell the exact point of contact or release - you can't with the technology that is employed.

;