VAR

Point of contact, point of release its all bullsh.t based on a microsecond. In any event the same argument applies. How can you tell the exact point of contact or release - you can't with the technology that is employed.
Well said. They havent got a clue so they're just making it up as they go along.

My brother is a Tottenham season ticket holder - and he thought it was onside!!

I'm not surprised!

VAR drew a line right over the Tottenham player's head to get the Sheff Utd player's toe offside!

Absolutely disgraceful IMO!

Scrap VAR!

If you accept that we are all human and that players, refs and linesman all make mistakes then let's go back to the way it was pre VAR!

The ball hits the net, the ref doesn't give a foul, you look at the linesman - the flag is not up and you can freely celebrate! (assuming that WE have scored that is!).

The interpretation of video evidence by humans (who make mistakes) have pretty much killed the game from a fans point of view.

Is the stopping of freeze frames and the drawing of lines across the pitch always 100% accurate?

SCRAP VAR!

I'm fairly sure I read that they use 50 frames a second, but even then the margin for error on when the ball is played is a few inches. Any decision overturned for offside by less then that is clearly a guess.

It could therefore be easy to pick a frame that gives the VAR decision you want in some cases, but fortunately our officials are completely impartial.

I'm fairly sure I read that they use 50 frames a second, but even then the margin for error on when the ball is played is a few inches. Any decision overturned for offside by less then that is clearly a guess.
It's more than a few inches TMFC. A ball moving at 60mph will travel 1.76 feet (21 inches or 536 millimetres) in one fiftieth of a second. Declaring a player offside by a few millimetres in this context is just plain ridiculous even if the ball is only travelling at half that speed, particularly as the kicker and receiver will nearly always be captured by two separate cameras at the moment the ball is kicked, and the player is on the move as well as the ball.

Well well well. We are led to believe that it's Mike Riley and PGMOL who are against referees using the pitch-side monitors.

At Thursdays meeting between the EPL chairmen and Mr Riley it appears that the club chairmen are against it as well.

These are David Golds comments in Friday's Metro.

West Ham co-chairman David Gold said VAR was 'alive and kicking' and admitted he 'could not support' the idea of using pitch-side monitors more regularly.

'We're going to have a referee who's been running around for an hour who has got to run all the way over to the pitch-side to watch events - that's not right'

So we have managers, players, commentators, tv pundits, the press and fans pushing for the pitch-side monitors to at least be used and we have the club chairmen putting a block on it.

So increased use of monitors by refs is a step too VAR!

The Premier League issued a statement, 'The core principles of VAR were reiterated. These are minimum interference for maximum benefit, maintaining the pace and tempo of Premier League football and correcting clear and obvious on field errors.

All that will change going forward is increased information on screen like instead of Checking Penalty-Checking Penalty-Possible Handball.

My suggestion is to authorise the fourth official to be in charge of the pitch-side monitor. Why not. In a three day cycle an individual ref could be in charge of a game on day one, the next day making VAR decisions at Stockley Park and the next day in charge of the substitutions board. If he can be VAR ref then there is no reason why he couldn't be Pitch-side monitor VAR person in addition to controlling substitutions.

So we have managers, players, commentators, tv pundits, the press and fans pushing for the pitch-side monitors to at least be used

No we don’t. The pro VAR people will continue to clutch at straws.

I don’t see many fans pushing for more interference and more delay to use an inadequate technology that is ruining our game.

Well well well. We are led to believe that it's Mike Riley and PGMOL who are against referees using the pitch-side monitors.

At Thursdays meeting between the EPL chairmen and Mr Riley it appears that the club chairmen are against it as well.

These are David Golds comments in Friday's Metro.

West Ham co-chairman David Gold said VAR was 'alive and kicking' and admitted he 'could not support' the idea of using pitch-side monitors more regularly.

'We're going to have a referee who's been running around for an hour who has got to run all the way over to the pitch-side to watch events - that's not right'

So we have managers, players, commentators, tv pundits, the press and fans pushing for the pitch-side monitors to at least be used and we have the club chairmen putting a block on it.

So increased use of monitors by refs is a step too VAR!

The Premier League issued a statement, 'The core principles of VAR were reiterated. These are minimum interference for maximum benefit, maintaining the pace and tempo of Premier League football and correcting clear and obvious on field errors.

All that will change going forward is increased information on screen like instead of Checking Penalty-Checking Penalty-Possible Handball.

My suggestion is to authorise the fourth official to be in charge of the pitch-side monitor. Why not. In a three day cycle an individual ref could be in charge of a game on day one, the next day making VAR decisions at Stockley Park and the next day in charge of the substitutions board. If he can be VAR ref then there is no reason why he couldn't be Pitch-side monitor VAR person in addition to controlling substitutions.
What a pile of horse sh.t.
taking the PL statement
'The core principles of VAR were reiterated. These are minimum interference for maximum benefit, maintaining the pace and tempo of Premier League football and correcting clear and obvious on field errors."
3 core principles and VAR is categorically failing on all 3. But yes lets carry on shall we.
And as for David Gold saying we shouldn't use pitch side monitors as the poor little ref may have to jog 50 pards to view it. Well thats a f....ing sight better than the ref standing there for 3 minutes with his finger in his ear looking a right dickhead while he waits for another dick head 100 miles away to tell him what he is seeing on his monitor. Jeez, makes my blood boil.

Reactions: drd
Interesting this VAR discussion for or against it etc.

Just watching Charlton v Cardiff on Sky.

There was an incident where the Cardiff player went went down in the box but the referee ruled out a penalty, the TV replays show it probably was a penalty as there was contact with player.

The referee has only one look at it and not any technical help so has to make a decision, seems the wrong one this time.

So if the Championship had VAR the score would be 1-1 and not 1-0 as it is at the moment.

;