VAR

1st ruled out goal was another one of those you probably wouldn’t complain about if it had stood but the 2nd was a more clear cut offside .

It did annoy me how the commentators kept saying it was a let off for Bournemouth. No, it's a let off for the officials having cocked up.

And yet took about two minutes and two camera angles to prove.

They kept checking for handball, when ultimately they didn't need to. Could have been sorted in seconds had they checked the offside first.

Listening to people talk down the technology reminds me of grandparents shouting at a 'useless' laptop because it takes them too long to work out how to get the weather.

Listening to people talk down the technology reminds me of grandparents shouting at a 'useless' laptop because it takes them too long to work out how to get the weather.
Still after perfection then? I see you avoided the point about fallible strikers etc

Still after perfection then? I see you avoided the point about fallible strikers etc

It's weird when Beckham worked out of hours on his set pieces and Ronaldo hit the gym big time I doubt there where queues of people mockingly asking if they were "still after perfection".

Listen to any any professional player about their development and none of them say "well as long as I give it a try it doesn't really matter if we win".

A player since the 70's will use:
a different ball
different boots
different shin pads
a different diet
all kinds of tap straps and compression
video reviews
statistical feedback
GPS tracking
heart rate monitors
VO Max testing
plus a million other things

A striker attempts to score goals using a plethora of science and technology and failure to do so results in loss of earnings. A referee buggers up and they fine clubs

The two important attributes you've assigned to officials is that they need to be in control and they need to try. Why don't you care about performance?

Why don't you care about performance?

Apologies to Rob for jumping in, but I don’t think at any point of this entire thread that anyone has said the standard of refereeing doesn’t need to improve.

But for all the advances in technology that you refer to that a player has in his armoury. One of them isn’t, pressing pause on the game and having a look at what the best decision is my zooming in on a microbe and taking a minute to decide.

Plus the referring decisions are just one aspect of why VAR is absolutely hideously ruining the game, as has been mentioned numerous times.

Probably takes them a minute or two to draw the lines up to check if the finger nail was offside or not.

I think that is the frustration - would anyone care if such a goal was given ?

Must be able to have a bit more leeway when making such decisions.

Bit like with handballs which as we all know is a lottery anyway .

And it’s just encourages more cheating to win penalties or players to have a screaming contest whilst the dissent towards officials has probably got worse as players demand they use VAR.

Last edited:
It's weird when Beckham worked out of hours on his set pieces and Ronaldo hit the gym big time I doubt there where queues of people mockingly asking if they were "still after perfection".

Listen to any any professional player about their development and none of them say "well as long as I give it a try it doesn't really matter if we win".

A player since the 70's will use:
a different ball
different boots
different shin pads
a different diet
all kinds of tap straps and compression
video reviews
statistical feedback
GPS tracking
heart rate monitors
VO Max testing
plus a million other things

A striker attempts to score goals using a plethora of science and technology and failure to do so results in loss of earnings. A referee buggers up and they fine clubs

The two important attributes you've assigned to officials is that they need to be in control and they need to try. Why don't you care about performance?
Theres a complete difference between aiming for perfection and achieving it during a game.

All of those quoted above help to improve performance but during the game it is down to the player, and none of them are used to slow down the game and change decisions. I do think the "million other things" suggest there weren't many others!

To answer your question, I want to see a player being as good as they can be. Refs can use all of those during training. I like watching a game that isn't ruined by technology.

How many games this season have been ruined for you by NOT having VAR?

Theres a complete difference between aiming for perfection and achieving it during a game.

All of those quoted above help to improve performance but during the game it is down to the player, and none of them are used to slow down the game and change decisions. I do think the "million other things" suggest there weren't many others!

To answer your question, I want to see a player being as good as they can be. Refs can use all of those during training. I like watching a game that isn't ruined by technology.

How many games this season have been ruined for you by NOT having VAR?

So the original reason for not replying would be because the argument would shift from improvement to delays, then I'd dig up the stats that show it doesn't have much impact on delays but can definitely be improved.

Then you'll pick one moment in one game of hundreds and say look at this one and I'll say that because you pick one in hundreds it's a minimal impact.

Eventually we'll haggle over the minutiae untill we get bored or angry with eachother.

To half answer your question (I don't want to be accused of that twice. It would've been nice if VAR verified the goal line incident at Villa Sheffield United.

This season there's nothing realistically to play for and I feel like I'm watching 46 friendlies and there hasn't been must enjoyment to be ruined.

Apologies to Rob for jumping in, but I don’t think at any point of this entire thread that anyone has said the standard of refereeing doesn’t need to improve.

But for all the advances in technology that you refer to that a player has in his armoury. One of them isn’t, pressing pause on the game and having a look at what the best decision is my zooming in on a microbe and taking a minute to decide.

Plus the referring decisions are just one aspect of why VAR is absolutely hideously ruining the game, as has been mentioned numerous times.

VAR checks are done either in the background while the game is being played or during a break a play so the analogy doesn't really work.

Players do take tactical breaks where the coach will give them information to take advantage off. It's become common for 'keeers to get instructions before a penalty for example.

well, I've worked in IT for over 35 years.... but I'm not enjoying its use in football. it does kind of work in cricket tho, altho I'm sure the purists disagree!

VAR checks are done either in the background while the game is being played or during a break a play so the analogy doesn't really work.

So there were no delays in the game yesterday then? The two goals that were disallowed didn't take up any additional time?!

It's by the by anyway, the time it takes to get to the decision isn't the main problem its the feeling and knowledge of not knowing what your watching, not knowing if you can live in the moment, not knowing if what you've seen has really happened.

Instead of celebrating a goal you're usually watching either a bald or grey haired bloke holding his finger to his ear...wait and wait and wait...

So there were no delays in the game yesterday then? The two goals that were disallowed didn't take up any additional time?!

It's by the by anyway, the time it takes to get to the decision isn't the main problem its the feeling and knowledge of not knowing what your watching, not knowing if you can live in the moment, not knowing if what you've seen has really happened.

Instead of celebrating a goal you're usually watching either a bald or grey haired bloke holding his finger to his ear...wait and wait and wait...

When did I say there was no delay?

You're attacking an imaginary statement.

"VAR checks are done either in the background while the game is being played or during a break a play so the analogy doesn't really work:.

Which is how I interpreted it too.

Players do take tactical breaks where the coach will give them information to take advantage off. It's become common for 'keeers to get instructions before a penalty for example.

:shrug::unsure:

You described VAR like a player tucking a ball under his arm and halting play to get tactical advice.

I explained that VAR doesn't work like that. There's not a potential offside the while is blown and the officials take a minute to decide. Play continues and the offside is awarded if necessary.

But by all means continue to imagine I said something different if it makes you feel better :shrug:

Was listening to the game yesterday and the chap in charge of VAR was the same one who used it against us in another game.

Coote’s name rang a bell with him giving a controversial decision against us, anyone remember the game?

Yesterday both decisions were in our favour, not we took advantage of it in the end.

You described VAR like a player tucking a ball under his arm and halting play to get tactical advice.

I explained that VAR doesn't work like that. There's not a potential offside the while is blown and the officials take a minute to decide. Play continues and the offside is awarded if necessary.

But by all means continue to imagine I said something different if it makes you feel better :shrug:

It doesn't make me feel better at all, I don't really understand the point of making it personal. If I misunderstood the point you believed you were making I misunderstood your point, it hardly matters.

;