VAR

Going down the rugby route of even if anything is accidental there has to be punishment.

But they have the fall back of the sin bin rather than straight red cards.

The more Premiere league football I watch the more I think to myself, ‘Can I really bear another year of watching this every week.’ VAR really did soften the blow of being relegated, completely killing the game at the top level imo.
The thing is, though, whilst the VAR official made the initial mistake, the on field ref somehow still thought that was a red even after seeing the replay. Utter incompetence from the referee

The thing is, though, whilst the VAR official made the initial mistake, the on field ref somehow still thought that was a red even after seeing the replay. Utter incompetence from the referee
This is true. I feel as though the moment the referees are asked to view the monitor then the decision has been made tbh, very rarely do they stick with the initial decision upon viewing the monitor.
Re VAR it is the offside decisions that I really can’t bear, spending 5 minutes to try to work out if a players arm pit is offside is beyond farcical and just completely destroys the game for the fans in the ground. Part of me likes the idea of watching championship football when we are allowed back into the grounds.

So we have had VAR for pretty much 2 full seasons.
1. Has it improved the game. as a viewing spectacle.
2. Has it improved the standard of refereeing and decision making.
3. Has the use of VAR improved as we have progressed through the 2 seasons.
For me the answers are NO, No and NO.

1. The PL has been lucky this season, with no fans at grounds to vent their disapproval. It is an utter shambles, interminable delays to come to baffling and sometimes legally wrong decisions. Supporters have shown their muscle with the super league, I wish they would do the same with VAR. I can honestly say that I enjoy football far more in the Championship without VAR. Football is an instantaneous, passionate, full blooded sport with decisions being made in the moment. VAR stops that.

2. Has the standard of refereeing improved. I say no, because they have abdicated responsibility for decision making to someone 100 miles away. Look at that WHU sending off. Have you ever seen such a wrong decision in all your life, what idiot referee in a studio could even consider that a sending off, and what even more idiotic referee could confirm it on the pitch side monitor. I was speechless after seeing that on TV. But what gets done to correct it - nothing apart from a post match appeal which will overturn it but the damage on the field has been done and cannot be undone.

3. Laws are continually being tinkered with solely to accomodate VAR which just proves how inept it is. How many times has the handball interpretation been changed, who would have thought that defenders have a different handball law to forwards. Look at Callum Wilsons handball yesterday, a rebound from the goalkeeper from a distance of 2 feet hits his upper arm that is as tight as could be to his body, how is that handball ? Now I realise that with Wilson it is not strictly VAR but the law (that has been changed to accomodate such situations) that is so wrong. Offsides - so remind me which part of the body can be offside, and still no one can tell exactly when the ball left the passers foot.

VAR is quite simply the worst thing that has happened to football since it started as a professional sport. The WHU sending off and Wilsons handball are just 2 more in an endless line of evidence.

The offside and handball stuff is more down to the rules I think then they get told to follow it to the letter rather than use any common sense.

But no idea why the West Ham red card came about - almost as if the VAR official told the on pitch ref off for making a mistake and that he must change his mind?

Reactions: drd
The offside and handball stuff is more down to the rules I think then they get told to follow it to the letter rather than use any common sense.

But no idea why the West Ham red card came about - almost as if the VAR official told the on pitch ref off for making a mistake and that he must change his mind?
I saw it this morning. In a whole list of laughably bad VAR decisions, that has to be number1

So we have had VAR for pretty much 2 full seasons.
1. Has it improved the game. as a viewing spectacle.
2. Has it improved the standard of refereeing and decision making.
3. Has the use of VAR improved as we have progressed through the 2 seasons.
For me the answers are NO, No and NO.

1. The PL has been lucky this season, with no fans at grounds to vent their disapproval. It is an utter shambles, interminable delays to come to baffling and sometimes legally wrong decisions. Supporters have shown their muscle with the super league, I wish they would do the same with VAR. I can honestly say that I enjoy football far more in the Championship without VAR. Football is an instantaneous, passionate, full blooded sport with decisions being made in the moment. VAR stops that.

2. Has the standard of refereeing improved. I say no, because they have abdicated responsibility for decision making to someone 100 miles away. Look at that WHU sending off. Have you ever seen such a wrong decision in all your life, what idiot referee in a studio could even consider that a sending off, and what even more idiotic referee could confirm it on the pitch side monitor. I was speechless after seeing that on TV. But what gets done to correct it - nothing apart from a post match appeal which will overturn it but the damage on the field has been done and cannot be undone.

3. Laws are continually being tinkered with solely to accomodate VAR which just proves how inept it is. How many times has the handball interpretation been changed, who would have thought that defenders have a different handball law to forwards. Look at Callum Wilsons handball yesterday, a rebound from the goalkeeper from a distance of 2 feet hits his upper arm that is as tight as could be to his body, how is that handball ? Now I realise that with Wilson it is not strictly VAR but the law (that has been changed to accomodate such situations) that is so wrong. Offsides - so remind me which part of the body can be offside, and still no one can tell exactly when the ball left the passers foot.

VAR is quite simply the worst thing that has happened to football since it started as a professional sport. The WHU sending off and Wilsons handball are just 2 more in an endless line of evidence.

What a cracking post! Absolutely summed up what most Attendee supporters think of VAR. Surely this is not football from now on?

I saw it this morning. In a whole list of laughably bad VAR decisions, that has to be number1
Perhaps MOTD could add a "VAR Debacle of the Month" competition to the "Goal of the Month" competition ? There would be plenty to choose from.

Reactions: drd
What's the difference between VAT and VAR?
VAT adds 20% to the cost of nearly everything
VAR removes at least 20% of the enjoyment of nearly every game it's used for.

Whilst I wouldn't be sad to see the back of VAR... We need to realise VAR isn't necessarily the issue in the PL... It's how we've decided to implement it.

Used correctly and with even the smallest bit of common sense, it 'could' be a very good thing...

Football is the only body of sport that seems to think they know best and don't need to learn from all the other sports that seem to have got technology right...

Whilst I wouldn't be sad to see the back of VAR... We need to realise VAR isn't necessarily the issue in the PL... It's how we've decided to implement it.

Used correctly and with even the smallest bit of common sense, it 'could' be a very good thing...

Football is the only body of sport that seems to think they know best and don't need to learn from all the other sports that seem to have got technology right...
Depends on the sport. Cricket and tennis are games with natural pauses in play and with cricket in particular, the DRS allows more time queuing for beer or expelling it. Have to say I'm not a fan in rugby (union, don't watch league). Lots of pauses and lots of tries disallowed as no convincing grounding as defenders know to pile on top to obscure camera angles

Depends on the sport. Cricket and tennis are games with natural pauses in play and with cricket in particular, the DRS allows more time queuing for beer or expelling it. Have to say I'm not a fan in rugby (union, don't watch league). Lots of pauses and lots of tries disallowed as no convincing grounding as defenders know to pile on top to obscure camera angles

Is as bad in rugby as it is in football.

;