VAR

Whilst I wouldn't be sad to see the back of VAR... We need to realise VAR isn't necessarily the issue in the PL... It's how we've decided to implement it.

Used correctly and with even the smallest bit of common sense, it 'could' be a very good thing...

Football is the only body of sport that seems to think they know best and don't need to learn from all the other sports that seem to have got technology right...
I disagree. I feel VAR has ruined the game, and this was entirely forseeable.

I disagree. I feel VAR has ruined the game, and this was entirely forseeable.
I hear what you’re saying Rob, and as I said, I wouldn’t be bothered one bit if it got scrapped, but I do believe the main reason behind it being so poorly received is the way the PL have decided to use it...

It could be used with good effect if it was limited in its implementation... change the focus of when it’s used and who controls its use... Put the decision making emphasis on the actual ref, and not the VAR... Hit a reset button and start afresh with the occasions it can be used... Maybe even give managers the control on when they want it used... Like tennis, offer 2 VAR appeals a half for example, other than that it doesn’t get used... Give VARs 30 secs to look, or look at every angle once, and if no decision can be reached then the on-field decision stands...

I'm not saying these are the solutions, I’m just trying to highlight that there are plenty of ways to include VAR into football that doesn’t involve the huge hold ups, the ridiculous off sides, the drawings, the constant rule changes to accommodate tech...

It just takes some common sense and not trying to solve every issue with tech...

Last edited:
I hear what you’re saying Rob, and as I said, I wouldn’t be bothered one bit if it got scrapped, but I do believe the main reason behind it being so poorly received is the way the PL have decided to use it...

It could be used with good effect if it was limited in its implementation... change the focus of when it’s used and who controls its use... Put the decision making emphasis on the actual ref, and not the VAR... Hit a reset button and start afresh with the occasions it can be used... Maybe even give managers the control on when they want it used... Like tennis, offer 2 VAR appeals a half for example, other than that it doesn’t get used... Give VARs 30 secs to look, or look at every angle once, and I f no decision can be reached then the onfield decision stands...

Im. It saying these are the solutions, I’m just trying to highlight that there are plenty of ways to include VAR into football that doesn’t involve the huge hold ups, the ridiculous off sides, the drawings, the constant rule changes to accommodate tech...

It just takes some common sense and not trying to solve every issue with tech...

I get what you saying, but unfortunately it just doesn't work in reality.

Football was fine before VAR, the most popular spectator sport on the planet. Football shouldn't be learning from other sports, other sports should be learning from football...

If it ain't broke don't try and fix it.

I get what you saying, but unfortunately it just doesn't work in reality.

Football was fine before VAR, the most popular spectator sport on the planet. Football shouldn't be learning from other sports, other sports should be learning from football...

If it ain't broke don't try and fix it.

Yep, I get it... The last two seasons have highlighted that how we’ve used VAR has resulted in it being a huge flop... No one can argue that... I don’t think it’s going anywhere anytime soon tho, so I still think a reset on how it’s used now is needed...

It’s a shame fans can’t unite en masse against VAR like they did for the ESL

...oh well might as well make all football a bit more rubbish and VAR certainly makes the game less enjoable and takes away so much from games...

If the fans can use their might to protest against VAR then something would be done I feel sure..

Goal line technology (when it works) all for it.

The way VAR has been implemented, especially for offsides, is a disaster. Couple of things I would suggest.

1) Replays are in real time for possible red card decisions, e.g recklesss challenges, violent conduct, even the handbags that players get into
2) For offsides, the onfield decision stands if it is so close that a toenail is the difference between a goal and not a goal
3) Fix the handball law to make VAR a better decision maker.
4) perhaps a 1 min time limit to review any decision?

Var would be ok if it was used properly.
Clearly offside, not millimeters. real handball.
I get your point, KC, but if you're going to use it to assess "clearly offside", you have to set a marker as to what "clear" is. It's a very subjective word, so you need to put a measurement on it, so this means that an arm hair behind the last defender is offside.

That is completely shit and I hate it (except when a goal's ruled out against us), mainly because they are measuring the offside in billimetres and yet they can't see the exact microsecond the ball leaves the passer's toe.

If you're going to have it, I'd rather see it set up that there needs to be daylight between an attacker and the last defender to be offside. That way you're giving the attacking team a foot or so's advantage, so even though you're still measuring in billimetres you're ruling out less goals.

I get your point, KC, but if you're going to use it to assess "clearly offside", you have to set a marker as to what "clear" is. It's a very subjective word, so you need to put a measurement on it, so this means that an arm hair behind the last defender is offside.

That is completely shit and I hate it (except when a goal's ruled out against us), mainly because they are measuring the offside in billimetres and yet they can't see the exact microsecond the ball leaves the passer's toe.

If you're going to have it, I'd rather see it set up that there needs to be daylight between an attacker and the last defender to be offside. That way you're giving the attacking team a foot or so's advantage, so even though you're still measuring in billimetres you're ruling out less goals.
I was thinking more of about 12 inches. based on the boot not the body.

It’s too subjective for football compared to other sports.

Rugby and cricket have it for it is a try of wicket or not?

So generally fairly simple but even then you get debate.

Not was the player offside /did he mean to handle it etc.

Basically we have ended up with 2 officials giving their own view point on something rather than just one making a an honest real time split second decision.

Then you get all the confusing rules and different interpretations from week to week almost .

They will say the offside rule is working as its consistent has anyone really cared about a toe nail or finger nail being offside ?

Probably not even someone like Neil Warnock!

Last edited:
With VAR there will never be a ruling for things like offside that are not met with some form of debate... You have to measure 'something' and that 'something' will always throw up debate and subjectivity...

You move it from what it is, to clear daylight (which seems to be the favoured proposal), but then where and how are you measuring clear daylight...? The lines will still be out only this time instead of being in front of the forward, they will be behind the forward to see where the heal or trailing fingernails are in relation to the defenders hairy armpits or **************** crack...

Just stop drawing lines... stop trying to use it for everything that results in a goal... It's almost like they really really know it isn't working but are too proud to admit it...

Reactions: drd
With VAR there will never be a ruling for things like offside that are not met with some form of debate... You have to measure 'something' and that 'something' will always throw up debate and subjectivity...

You move it from what it is, to clear daylight (which seems to be the favoured proposal), but then where and how are you measuring clear daylight...? The lines will still be out only this time instead of being in front of the forward, they will be behind the forward to see where the heal or trailing fingernails are in relation to the defenders hairy armpits or **************** crack...

Just stop drawing lines... stop trying to use it for everything that results in a goal... It's almost like they really really know it isn't working but are too proud to admit it...

I'd be happy to get rid of VAR. However, if they are too proud to back-track then I still believe the answer is to give someone in the studio a small amount of time to assess the decision by eye. That way, if it is a howler of a decision, Lampard's goal against Germany springs to mind, or someone is clearly offside (say a metre or so for this example) then it gets sorted, otherwise the officials decisions stays. It would mean that the majority of decisions are on-field and you couldn't really complain if the decision was reversed.

To clarify, I'm not pro-VAR, but if we are saddled with it, we should be trying to get something that works better and is less of an enjoyment killer.

Scroll back to the start of this thread and I was against goal line technology. I was against it on a couple of principle the first that ideologically I’d like the game to be the same at all levels. But I was also against it because it was obviously the start of more and more technology to be introduced into the game.

If we can take one step backwards I’d take just going back to goal line technology. At least it’s instant, at least as supporters you still have that instant rush of emotion.

That doesn’t return with any form of VAR, be it the way it is now, limited reviews etc. The lino’s don’t put their flag up until the ball is out of play. The whole game is played entirely differently.

Scroll back to the start of this thread and I was against goal line technology. I was against it on a couple of principle the first that ideologically I’d like the game to be the same at all levels. But I was also against it because it was obviously the start of more and more technology to be introduced into the game.

If we can take one step backwards I’d take just going back to goal line technology. At least it’s instant, at least as supporters you still have that instant rush of emotion.

That doesn’t return with any form of VAR, be it the way it is now, limited reviews etc. The lino’s don’t put their flag up until the ball is out of play. The whole game is played entirely differently.

If there was a way that offsides could be operated in a similar way to goal line technology, i.e. Instant accurate decision then I'd be all for it. If that is possible it seems a long way off.

I've said before the only VAR I could live with is that I think red cards could be reviewed as the game continues by a video ref who makes a decision on cards that the on field ref communicates to the players. He could give a soft signal when asking for a review.

Agree completely. I was surprised that the goal-line technology worked so well, but not surprised in the slightest that VAR has been, to use your trademarked quote, a 'shambles'. ;-)

VAR, quite simply the worst thing that has happened to football ever. Turned a fast flowing exciting sport into a stop start farce that still comes up with wrong decisions. The most important person in a game now is not a Mo Salah or a Harry Kane but a faceless person in a studio a hundred miles away.o

VAR, quite simply the worst thing that has happened to football ever. Turned a fast flowing exciting sport into a stop start farce that still comes up with wrong decisions. The most important person in a game now is not a Mo Salah or a Harry Kane or a Patrick Bamford but a faceless person in a studio a hundred miles away.o

Fixed for you

I'd be happy to get rid of VAR. However, if they are too proud to back-track then I still believe the answer is to give someone in the studio a small amount of time to assess the decision by eye. That way, if it is a howler of a decision, Lampard's goal against Germany springs to mind, or someone is clearly offside (say a metre or so for this example) then it gets sorted, otherwise the officials decisions stays. It would mean that the majority of decisions are on-field and you couldn't really complain if the decision was reversed.

To clarify, I'm not pro-VAR, but if we are saddled with it, we should be trying to get something that works better and is less of an enjoyment killer.

What really got up my nose is Lampards disallowed goal and nothing was done by FIFA/UEFA.
Then in a later tournament another team (Croatia maybe ??) had a legitimate goal disallowed ,and that spurred the football authorities to bring in goal line technology.
Was this proof that those same organisations had a certain agenda against England?, maybe not ,but to me and friends it certainly felt like it.

;