VAR

I think the system came in about 2012 and first used in a major tournament in the 2014 World Cup.

There was this famous incident when the BBC's Johnathan Pearce got in a right muddle over it in a France group game.

What really got up my nose is Lampards disallowed goal and nothing was done by FIFA/UEFA.
Then in a later tournament another team (Croatia maybe ??) had a legitimate goal disallowed ,and that spurred the football authorities to bring in goal line technology.
Was this proof that those same organisations had a certain agenda against England?, maybe not ,but to me and friends it certainly felt like it.

Not really. Blatter apologised and they started looking at it. Lampard's goal one of the reasons.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2010/jun/29/world-cup-2010-sepp-blatter-technology

I would prefer to accept that the linesman got it wrong and the game contnues uninterrupted, rather than holding up play for five minutes while they agonise over half an inch - and still get it wrong.

It would be interesting to see final tables for the VAR seasons if that thicker line had been used from the start. But yeah other than that mild interest I have, it is a shambles and should be scrapped.

What a half-arsed "solution" that is. For crying out loud ! They may as well not bother if that is the best they can come up with. Totally missing the point. The rule itself needs to be redefined in such a way that VAR can then be used to judge offside correctly. IMO body parts other than feet should simply be ignored.
Just applying the offside rule to the players' feet would be a major step in the right direction IMO. At least the VAR bods would only have to look at feet and not fingernails and eyelashes before making a decision !

What a half-arsed "solution" that is. For crying out loud ! They may as well not bother if that is the best they can come up with. Totally missing the point. The rule itself needs to be redefined in such a way that VAR can then be used to judge offside correctly. IMO body parts other than feet should simply be ignored.
Just applying the offside rule to the players' feet would be a major step in the right direction IMO. At least the VAR bods would only have to look at feet and not fingernails and eyelashes before making a decision !

I agree with this but you're still talking about lines and millimetres for offside decisions... Possible solutions
  1. All VARs get to see every angle once at full or half speed... If still inconclusive, the on-field decision stands...
  2. All VARs has 30 seconds to review... If still inconclusive, the on-field decision stands...
  3. Each VAR has a buzzer/button... All 3 need to push it for a decision to be reviewed/looked at (then refer to either point 1 or 2), otherwise the game rolls on
There are a million simpler options than what's in place... It's too damed complicated atm...

I still think that refs should be made to look at a pitch side monitor of the incident at a slow motion rate and a still frame of when the ball was kicked. No lines drawn, no minute backwards and forwards of a couple of frames. The ref has 30 seconds to makes the decision.

Still get the same old issues of offsides being given for hairline toe nails and elbows I suspect.

How much thicker will the lines be ?

A day late but a dollar more.

I think the plan would effectively be to make only the line on the defender thicker, so that if the attackers line is still 'offside' applying this thicker margin of error means that there is a bigger benefit of the doubt in favour the attacker, so it's not distances the official can't see, but pick up mistakes that should have been seen.

Add that to the introduction of the automatic VAR for offsides, which would give a beep in the assistants ear (much like goal line technology) then this would remove the delays that annoy people and take away the unacceptable randomness of bad decisions. With so many games decided by a single goal, the impact of offside mistakes is disproportionately important on the outcome and justifies VAR where the stakes are so more important. I am sure most of Wales agrees tonight.

I agree simplifying the parts of the body would help, in fact players boots could be 'tagged' to increase ease of technology. Any rule change though needs to be workable for non-VAR games in lower leagues and amateur. Feet only, seems workable, and serves the original purpose of preventing goal hanging.

;