VAR

VAR was absolute shite last night. The ref was as well. You shouldn't need VAR to award pens for all in wrestling.
The refs general performance was poor, allowing encroachment at free kicks, blatant time wasting and diving to go unpunished, his performance in relation to the pens was frankly embarrassing. thankfully it didn't prevent England getting a deserved 3 points.

I've talked about this on here before and I don't think it'll be another assistant in an office. It'll be the linesman wearing some kind of augmented reality glasses so they can see an indication at all times any players that are onside or offside since the last few ball touches and it will update in real time. The linesman just needs to make the call then whether they a player is active or passive before raising their flag or keeping it down.

If they can resolve the sensor issue then this is one of the rules that can actually be handed over to technology without slowing the game for a moment. However, I think the technology still has a long way to go.
' Augmented reality glasses ' for the Linesman !!......I nearly choked on my mouthful of crunchy Dorset cereal flakes! You cannot be serio....you are arn't you!
Technology stops here in Kirsikkas post....my nomination for the Nobel Prize for Offside Solutions!
Actually...... In Real Time of course it could just be the answer unless someone else can get a bit more Augmentative!
I'm dunno if I'm in Real Time or not ..my Seiko watch has just packed up on me after 25 years of use- need to get one with a VARTime app.!

Last edited:
VAR was absent last night and I think England should be asking for an official explanation. I wasn't sure what Clattenburg was on about either, I thought the VAR team could contact the referee in a split second to flag up something obvious he's missed?
The first problem was that the referee was looking directly both times Kane was rugby tackled to the floor, they were not difficult decisions to make. But as he's failed to implement the laws of the game, why are the VAR panel not pressing their buzzers or talking to the referee immediately?? I'm actually pretty sure the commentary team last night mentioned the first foul on Kane had been flagged up at the time?
VAR is there to correct a clear and obvious decision and both were, so are they going to use it properly or just when it suits?

FIFA told all the teams, managers, and press corps before the tournament started, that during this tournament the officials would specifically be looking for fouls in the box regarding grappling and pushing, at corners and set pieces.

Last night that singularly failed to be adhered to by the officials, both on pitch x4 and video.

England should be asking for an explanation. Other nations should also be interested, as everyone needs to know where the line is.

FIFA told all the teams, managers, and press corps before the tournament started, that during this tournament the officials would specifically be looking for fouls in the box regarding grappling and pushing, at corners and set pieces.

Last night that singularly failed to be adhered to by the officials, both on pitch x4 and video.

England should be asking for an explanation. Other nations should also be interested, as everyone needs to know where the line is.

And thats the absolute crux of the issue. Whether its referees, lines people, VAR or augmented reality, the ARs (Anal Retentives) will bang on and on and on ad nauseam arguing about every decision that that they don't perceive as 'right'. "We demand an explanation blah blah blah".

Stick to Playstation if you want perfection.

Thing is though....VAR is being brought in to help the officials make the correct decisions, based on the laws of the game. Last night was not the first time in this tournament [ across only four days of matches ], where VAR has failed to give us the right decision, based on the laws of the game. And the referee actually was looking straight at the fouls on Kane, the second one especially! So questions should be asked, as to how the referee and the VAR panel could all fail to implement the laws of football.

Thing is though....VAR is being brought in to help the officials make the correct decisions, based on the laws of the game. Last night was not the first time in this tournament [ across only four days of matches ], where VAR has failed to give us the right decision, based on the laws of the game. And the referee actually was looking straight at the fouls on Kane, the second one especially! So questions should be asked, as to how the referee and the VAR panel could all fail to implement the laws of football.
How many more humans would you like so we can iron out inconsistencies?

I don't think it's perfection that folk want, it's consistency...

If you can award a pen for Walker's arm, then you HAVE to award a pen for any one of Kane's rugby tackles...

It's that simple...
Except it wasn't. Good to see we've now regressed to the word 'consistency' which I take it you mean getting it right absolutely every single time?

Like shooting fish in a barrel.

And thats the absolute crux of the issue. Whether its referees, lines people, VAR or augmented reality, the ARs (Anal Retentives) will bang on and on and on ad nauseam arguing about every decision that that they don't perceive as 'right'. "We demand an explanation blah blah blah".

Stick to Playstation if you want perfection.

No one (not me anyway) is asking for perfection but giving decisions for the bleedin obvious is surely not too much to ask - especially when it happens 3 times in one game.

There will never be consistency when humans are involved in decision making. This system at best will mean that the number of wrong decisions goes down slightly but it will also introduce new issues with people complaining when it is and isn't implemented - like last night.

Where does that actually get us? Nowhere that's worth ruining the spectacle of the game for.

Rob, I thought the whole point of VAR was to make sure the black and white decisions in a game were given. To help the officials out if they didn't spot something or to correct them if it was shown they'd got it wrong. Last night, VAR failed to work. It has happened in some of the other games too. To be honest, I'd rather go back to just relying on the officials and the risk of human error live on the pitch, than have a VAR panel of five or six also still fail to implement the laws of the game.
They either need to get VAR watertight or just not bother at all.

In the earlier game when South Korea were attacking and the referee blew up to go back and look at the VAR as he had received a message to do so, after reviewing he awarded Sweden a penalty.

Think the VAR referee for our game last night was from Mexico, he would have seen the Kane incident/s and could have contacted the Colombian referee to go and check on the VAR at the match. He either didn’t receive a message or decided to ignore it.

All the managers, players and fans want is consistency using the VAR and decisions by the referees who are either in charge of the VAR for a particular game or in charge of a game.

Piece here about this referee.

The Colombian official has a habit of making the headlines with his controversial calls, and did so again in the Three Lions' narrow victory

http://www.goal.com/en/news/who-is-...-of-the-tunisia-vs/1leet4rhfwoi01mafseklpvlyh

There will always a national lens on decisions in a game that go against you. For example, Brazil have complained to FIFA about incidents in their game with Switzerland:

https://in.reuters.com/article/socc...-over-non-use-of-var-technology-idINKBN1JF15V

Meanwhile, I was watching the English tv coverage of the match yesterday and they were all over the Kane incident throughout the halftime analysis. I was chatting on messenger with a Finnish friend and at half time in their coverage it was barely even mentioned.

I'm sure that's repeated in a similar way for every team and their coverage in their own press.

Of course I think it's a blatant foul on Kane. However, I guess if I was watching another team I might say 'you see that every game and it isn't given'.

There will always a national lens on decisions in a game that go against you. For example, Brazil have complained to FIFA about incidents in their game with Switzerland:

https://in.reuters.com/article/socc...-over-non-use-of-var-technology-idINKBN1JF15V

Meanwhile, I was watching the English tv coverage of the match yesterday and they were all over the Kane incident throughout the halftime analysis. I was chatting on messenger with a Finnish friend and at half time in their coverage it was barely even mentioned.

I'm sure that's repeated in a similar way for every team and their coverage in their own press.

Of course I think it's a blatant foul on Kane. However, I guess if I was watching another team I might say 'you see that every game and it isn't given'.
Is VAR is supposed to make the game fairer and spot these blatant fouls in the penalty area?

Brazil have aright to complain as it was a push on the CB?

VAR should be there to spot what a referee might have missed or been unsighted to see it?

;