VAR

I think you need to pop your glasses on before looking again at the photograph? Maguire appears to be receiving a rather friendly bear hug!

It'll be interesting to see how defenders mark Kane at corners in our next game or two, and how physical they get.

Perhaps your coloured blindness is getting worse because I am sure that I can see Maguire hanging round the other bloke's neck, or is that allowed now? (Yes I can see the hug - 50-50?).

So much of this goes on, in all forms of football now, - even afcb players do it - that I can understand why referees ignore it. Both side are doing it (and pulling shirts) at every corner or freekick into the area, so who do you give the free kick to?

This is not to say I like it, I don't, but until there is a major change in the laws it will continue.

Iran correctly disallowed a goal for offside after VAR review. BUT... for what was pretty obvious it took way too long. Should have been given in seconds and must have taken close to a minute. They absolutely have to cut delays like that out, especially when it's so clear.

Watching the game. Shouldn’t the. referee go and watch the VAR on the side of the pitch? Surely he makes the final decision and those in studio referees only advise.

Iran correctly disallowed a goal for offside after VAR review. BUT... for what was pretty obvious it took way too long. Should have been given in seconds and must have taken close to a minute. They absolutely have to cut delays like that out, especially when it's so clear.

Linesman also gave offside instantly.

Referee waves play on and then a bit later stops play on advice from the American VAR referee, result penalty to Australia to make it 1-1.

lovely technique for danish goal. var penalty...... no comment!

That comes under the 'see them given' category, it's highly debatable and IMO probably not a pen. It's a usage of VAR that drifts away from or goes against the stated criteria of clear / obvious, I think. Because you could look at that one 10 times and struggle to make your mind up firmly.

for me, var here has just highlighted the fact that the handball rules could be made a bit clearer. I just checked the rules myself, and fail to see how that can be a pen.

What would have happened if the referee had let the game continue and South Korea scored? Then went and checked the video and found it was a clear cut penalty for Sweden, 1-1 or take away the SK goal?

The South Korea goal wouldn't count.

We've had that farcical scenario already.

Interesting VAR instance yesterday in the Dutch league, something I think DJ has posed before as a 'what if' and it's probably as bad as he feared!:

A penalty shout that should have been given wasn't, and defending team having got away with it swiftly goes up the other end of the pitch and scores. Being the first chance the ref got with the game stopped, he then went over to check the video of the penalty shout, and then gave it. Ruling the subsequent goal out. Footage below:

Surely what should have happened here is the VAR takes a bit of imitative and looks at the controversial incident immediately, as Sky would. And then the VAR can have a word in the refs ear as the game is proceeding up the other end of the pitch? Getting the ref to wait for the game to stop, in this instance a 'goal' being scored, before he can jog over to see a TV on the sideline, then taking a fair time about making his mind up, it seems rather clumsy.

The best usage of VAR so far at the World Cup.
Brazil given a penalty, ref checks it, and overturns his decision, because Neymar is a diving jessie.
All done fairly quickly, play resumed shortly after.
Spot on referee.

Brazilians rattled now, Neymar booked. And Countinho.

Right but a bit slow again. It was obvious immediately it had to be reviewed so don't understand the delay.

Any ideas how to quicken it up?
Without the on field ref reviewing it, I suppose those in the studio could signal it, but that would deem the appointed ref powerless.

;