VAR

VAR has the ability to decide who wins competitions.
Any corrupt organisation could make the choice of winners by this alone.

Luckily FIFA is as clean as a whistle now!

See you in Russia 2..Sorry, Qatar, in 4 1/2 years time.

VAR is dreadful and doesn't get close to sorting out the issues it claims to. I'm dead against it so can hardly offer an objective view but if I was to try and see positives I'd say it didn't impact as negatively on the enjoyment of games as I thought it would. The flip side of that is that it didn't reduce errors much and one could argue that it was pointless. If they really wanted to make it popular they should have used it to book Neymar for being a ****************.

Reactions: drd
I despise everything about it. But it's coming in, and will very soon be used for all sorts of crud.

One thing to consider, is the time taken to make a decision. If we are going down this route, surely the game clock should be stopped while a decision is made?

Personally don't like it, but the ref takes minutes to make a decision, players complain, is this really going to be added as injury time?

Reactions: drd
Looked again - doesn’t look deliberate to me, natural hand movement downwards.

Awful awful decision - VAR is arguably the worst thing to happen to the laws of the game ever imho.
Surely having penalty kicks is worse.
One thing to consider, is the time taken to make a decision. If we are going down this route, surely the game clock should be stopped while a decision is made?

Personally don't like it, but the ref takes minutes to make a decision, players complain, is this really going to be added as injury time?
I believe its called stoppage time. I agree a big clock would help, like they have in other time based sports.

I have been suggesting that for a while. Why not have - displayed for all to see - a secondary "stoppage time" clock which would be cumulative throughout the half - injuries, substitutions, goal celebrations - all extra-play stops - so that we have a definitive and "scrutinizable" number going in to extra time. And, keep doing it even in extra time. This would defuse some of the ambiguity - i.e. Man City last season, Stirling goal in 97th minute. It's certainly doable - DJ just demonstrated that above.

We had a discussion here a while back about someone saying a 60 minute match, 30 minute halves but you stop the clock when there's the ball is not in play. Went down well as you can imagine ;)

king great...

At least it won't be used this time

"However, the decisions made by the officials will not be used on the pitch. There will be no contact between the officials in the VAR base and those on the field"

Discuss......!

Interesting that it was tested at the Leicester game.

Video Assistant Referee (VAR) technology will be used for the first time in AFC Bournemouth's Carabao Cup tie with Norwich City.
For the club's fourth round tie with the Canaries on Tuesday October 30th, a multi-camera network will be installed to assist Hawkeye in providing feeds for the VAR process.
VAR was previously trialled at a number of matches in round two of the Carabao Cup this season, with further games selected for VAR use in the upcoming round of fixtures.
The technology was previously tested at Vitality Stadium, but not used, for the Cherries' Premier League game with Leicester City last month.

Last edited:
Be interesting to see how it works.

On another innovative issue, I see them up the road are investigating safe standing. I wonder what Eddies opinion is on this.

It was used at 5 PL games when we played Leicester, they wanted to load test it with realistically as many PL games as there ever really is on at once.

Discuss......!

Interesting that it was tested at the Leicester game.

Video Assistant Referee (VAR) technology will be used for the first time in AFC Bournemouth's Carabao Cup tie with Norwich City.
For the club's fourth round tie with the Canaries on Tuesday October 30th, a multi-camera network will be installed to assist Hawkeye in providing feeds for the VAR process.
VAR was previously trialled at a number of matches in round two of the Carabao Cup this season, with further games selected for VAR use in the upcoming round of fixtures.
The technology was previously tested at Vitality Stadium, but not used, for the Cherries' Premier League game with Leicester City last month.

Lets hope they put the game on tv then so everybody can see the game.

;