VAR

So for DJ its all about the technology. You dont care about the technology you just want quick decisions whether they are right or wrong?

Both are valid reasons for not liking it. I want there to be the closest to a correct decision as possible and dont mind the impact to the flow of the game.

But then I also think that we should a 60 min time for matches and its stopped when the ball is not in play. So Im obviously looking at it from a completely different position.

I think the flow of the game is all important. The game for supporters is (to me) about the instant euphoria/heartbreak of the goal. VAR might not ruin every goal but it will ruin enough of them and there's not all that many in football.

If VAR got every decision right I still reckon I wouldn't like it. It doesn't even do that and never will. I can almost get in board with it's use for pens as there's already a natural break in the game at that point.

Funnily enough I'd like to see the 60 min game trialled. I think it would solve a lot of timewasting issues.

I think the flow of the game is all important. The game for supporters is (to me) about the instant euphoria/heartbreak of the goal. VAR might not ruin every goal but it will ruin enough of them and there's not all that many in football.

If VAR got every decision right I still reckon I wouldn't like it. It doesn't even do that and never will. I can almost get in board with it's use for pens as there's already a natural break in the game at that point.

Funnily enough I'd like to see the 60 min game trialled. I think it would solve a lot of timewasting issues.

"Funnily enough I'd like to see the 60 min game trialled. I think it would solve a lot of timewasting issues. "
Throw ins and goal kicks could take even longer if the clock is stopped.
Water breaks would also be used.
A 3 hour game just to watch 60 mins of football. No thanks.

Reactions: DJ
I do think ideally all four main divisions should have this in place, with all the money in the game, it should be achieved. So it happens in every match, every weekend, every Cup competition. Same with goal line decisions.

As for last night, no doubt that without VAR, Man City would be in the semi final, so I do have an issue with those who say the game is better without VAR in place. It was always intended to make sure the biggest decisions are right and it did so.

We have had games earlier this season where VAR would have corrected black and white decisions, as we all know. We would be several points better off. So I am all for VAR next season and just pray the authorities don't mess it up for us all!

I do think ideally all four main divisions should have this in place, with all the money in the game, it should be achieved. So it happens in every match, every weekend, every Cup competition. Same with goal line decisions.

As for last night, no doubt that without VAR, Man City would be in the semi final, so I do have an issue with those who say the game is better without VAR in place. It was always intended to make sure the biggest decisions are right and it did so.

We have had games earlier this season where VAR would have corrected black and white decisions, as we all know. We would be several points better off. So I am all for VAR next season and just pray the authorities don't mess it up for us all!

Is it beyond doubt that man city would be in the semis - haven't linos been told not to flag for tight decisions and to let VAR sort it?

Is it beyond doubt that man city would be in the semis - haven't linos been told not to flag for tight decisions and to let VAR sort it?

From what I know of the decisions, both were called correctly. I had heard the linesmen were meant to let VAR sort things, yes. Must be hard to do though if you see something in front of you!

Football was the Working mans Sanctuary...not a f##king testing ground for techno- freaks...nerds.......!
Blaming referees was a way to find release when your team lost a crucial game !
A player can make many mistakes......we lay into them!
Referees will make mistakes or make questionable decisions
with VAR too!
Mistakes are part of life! Buying a season ticket at St Marys perhaps the most severe !
VAR is the tip of the Iceberg in the Ruination of Football !
We need to go backwards.....as far back as Pigs Bladder across Purbeck if necessary.......anythings better than the sh#t coming forth now!

From what I know of the decisions, both were called correctly. I had heard the linesmen were meant to let VAR sort things, yes. Must be hard to do though if you see something in front of you!
Wrong, the Spurs goal was handball, look at his muscle movement above his elbow before the ball hit his thigh. The ref wasn't given this camera shot.

Both were called correctly. Some people will argue about anything but it's silly in this case.

Wrong, the Spurs goal was handball, look at his muscle movement above his elbow before the ball hit his thigh. The ref wasn't given this camera shot.

Not handball. If it did hit his arm it clearly wasn't deliberate and his arm wasn't placed or moved to an unnatural position in order to block or deflect the ball. His thigh scored the goal, any contact on his arm was incidental.

Missing the point.

50% of the fans supporting the 2 teams have it ruined for them either way, at least this way was the correct decision. Yes it could be miles faster and better, but justice was done yesterday and the correct 50% got to celebrate.

"Evens out over a season" how does it even out for Spurs if they missed out on their first ever CL semi final due to an offside goal?

As for TV, it was bloody brilliant.

50% of the fans supporting the 2 teams have it ruined for them either way, at least this way was the correct decision. Yes it could be miles faster and better, but justice was done yesterday and the correct 50% got to celebrate.

"Evens out over a season" how does it even out for Spurs if they missed out on their first ever CL semi final due to an offside goal?

As for TV, it was bloody brilliant.

I honestly think this depends on people's personality. Life isn't fair, sports aren't fair, VAR might marginally improve fairness but it won't make it fair because so many decisions are marginal or subjective. All football fans have been on the rough side of decisions and they still will be with VAR.

Look at it the other way - the upshot of VAR is next time man city fans score a last minute winner in a game with VAR their celebration will be half-assed because this experience will be in the back of their minds. Imagine Aguero's winner against QPR stopped and reviewed for five minutes whilst everyone bites their nails. Not worth losing that euphoria for the sake of precise to-the-millimetre precision on offside decisions.

Just make a live decision and we can live with it - we've lived with it up until now. VAR adds nothing and takes key elements of the enjoyment away.

I think the rules could be clarified properly before VAR would actually help. Also teaching players, pundits, and even some commentators the rules of the game would be a good start. Maybe if they all had to pass a refs exam every season there'd be more reasoned debate. Less of the 'contact so no dive' rubbish, and more actual intelligent debate of the rules on telly where IFAB would have to take notice

The game is alreadfy refereed by telly too often, yo uonly have to look at Mings/Zlatan to see that. If that game wasn't televised live then nothing would have happened

"Not worth losing that euphoria for the sake of precise to-the-millimetre precision on offside decisions. Just make a live decision and we can live with it - we've lived with it up until now. VAR adds nothing and takes key elements of the enjoyment away."

Yeah see,,,,I pretty much disagree with the whole of that bit! VAR adds plenty....including making sure the absolute major decisions are right. When it means one team misses a semi final of the CL. Look at the images of the Tottenham players and the reaction of the fans and the wider football community. Looks pretty euphoric to me.

Say VAR hadn't been used....Spurs miss out...the officials get hounded [ to say the least ]...

'We've lived it until now'.....and?? We've lived with lots of things until technology has come along to improve how its done!

;