VAR

All var has done so far is rule out goals. We don’t need it and we don’t want it.
True, it has only ruled out goals, part of that is because of the stupid handball rule but also the directive of the lino's only putting their flag up if they're sure of an offside.
Brooks' goal against Arsenal last season, would that have been allowed due to VAR, or never disallowed because the lino wouldn't have put his flag up?

I love Referees....every single damn one of them going back through history...they make mistakes.....AS DO players, managers, chairmen, fans et al.....that is part of football entertainment....blaming a ref is a great comfort, for example, if he gives three dodgy offside goals against Afcb during a 7-1 defeat by Colchester or Truro City ....or a dodgy pen against us v Real Madrid in the Euro Cup Final....you can bawl out a ref....then go home feeling good about yourself...have your tea, read your match programme and forget it till the next game!

and bring on Female Refs..."you Rancid Bitch....
..you' ve sent us down...hope your babies die "
Entertainment!

Last edited:
I love Referees....every single damn one of them going back through history...they make mistakes.....AS DO players, managers, chairmen, fans et al.....that is part of football entertainment....blaming a ref is a great comfort, for example, if he gives three dodgy offside goals against Afcb during a 7-1 defeat by Colchester or Truro City ....or a dodgy pen against us v Real Madrid in the Euro Cup Final....you can bawl out a ref....then go home feeling good about yourself...have your tea, read your match programme and forget it till the next game!

and bring on Female Refs..."you Rancid Bitch.
..you' ve sent us down...hope your babies die "
Entertainment!
You are Mike Dean and I claim my £5
;)

People are going on about how it works in Cricket....it does...but thats a slow pace game that goes on all day...
Football is about pacy action ...thrills crammed into 90 minutes...it cannot work for the spectator...you want the uninterrupted spectacle you paid good money for....not waiting around for your excitement to be reversed...drained away!

It's not inconceivable that they've come up with the most intrusive and annoying implementation of VAR possible just to turn public opinion against it. Then they can say "The fans spoke, we listened. We will be abolishing VAR for next season". Then they can put all of the power back into the hands of the referees and everybody's happy ( well the PL and the top six clubs at least - maybe some betting syndicates too ).
As KC says, VAR doesn't HAVE to be like this. VAR based on 3 challenges per team per game would be a lot less intrusive and would be sufficient to eliminate the gross miscarriages of justice this whole system was supposed to address.
But no, why do it well when you can just eff it up completely and ruin the game for everybody ?

Offside has become like horse racing, two horses going head to head towards the winning post, the photo can't separate them. but wait, there is a pixel in it, a winner is declared. that's why you don't get dead heats anymore.
Everyone says it should of been a dead heat, except the winning connections of course.

Offside has become like horse racing, two horses going head to head towards the winning post, the photo can't separate them. but wait, there is a pixel in it, a winner is declared. that's why you don't get dead heats anymore.
Everyone says it should of been a dead heat, except the winning connections of course.

At least in horse racing they can stick a camera on the line and be accurate.

That’s impossible with offsides, so we now have a rule claiming something is black and white but actually isn’t which is why it can take nearly five minutes to come to a decision and even then it’s a guess.

You do get dead heats

You do get dead heats in horse racing and surprisingly often.

VAR based on 3 challenges per team per game would be a lot less intrusive and would be sufficient to eliminate the gross miscarriages of justice this whole system was supposed to address.

In my opinion this is the only way VAR could ever work. One challenge per team, per half. If you're right, you get to keep it. That way VAR would only be used when teams think there is a gross error and not for every toenail offside or accidental brush of an arm. When an error is "clear and obvious" in other words.

VAR has also well and truly done away with the “giving the attacker the benefit of the doubt” unwritten rule. I’m pretty sure the offside rule isn’t in place for matters of a few millimetres.

In my opinion this is the only way VAR could ever work. One challenge per team, per half. If you're right, you get to keep it. That way VAR would only be used when teams think there is a gross error and not for every toenail offside or accidental brush of an arm. When an error is "clear and obvious" in other words.

I know, it's so obviously the way to go that you have to wonder what agenda is behind them not doing it in this way. I can only imagine that there is a non-negotiable insistance to ALWAYS have the INSTIGATION OF VAR in the hands of the REFEREES or other appointed officials - i.e. under no circumstances shall the lunatics be allowed to take over the asylum.
But doing it in this way a) still makes it possible for corrupted officials to fix matches and b) ends up in critical situations perhaps not getting reviewed at all whereas other far more trivial incidents can be reviewed and take ages to resolve.

It's just so blindingly obvious to have a challenge system instigated by the teams themselves ( captains signalling to the manager that the players are not happy with the decision and the manager then officially instigating the challenge ) that the only reason I can see for not doing it in this way is some kind of unwritten rule that whatever they do, the instigation of the video review MUST ALWAYS be in the hands of the appointed officials.

The way it is now is an unmitigated disaster. All we really want is the chance for teams to have ludicrously unfair and unjust decisions reviewed and eventually overturned. Thinking back to our recent seasons in the PL I can't think of many games where we would have needed to challenge more than two game changing decisions in one match. There were also plenty of games where we would never have needed to use a single VAR challenge. Dodgy goals and harsh red cards are pretty much the only decisions worth getting all VAR'ed about IMO.

;