VAR

The game carries on. It doesn't stop until they've made their decision and sent it to the ref, he books or sends the player of at the next break in play.

No disruption.
Not that I don't like your idea, I like the thinking of different ways to implement VAR. What would you do in the following situation.
Tielmans commits red card tackle on Wilson. Ref gives free kick and play carries on. VAR is looking at the foul in the background.
AFCB take quick free kick.
Leicester win the ball, counter and Tielmans scores.
VAR decide Tielmans should be sent off.
So... does the goal stand?

A Random Monday Ramble:

PL Football is in the Coffin laying in the Chapel of Rest....they aint put the lid on yet...must wait for boring Liverpool to wrap their trophy cabinet around the Silverthing!

Man Utds trophy cabinet has tramps sleeping in it during the winter...in the summer its a tropical fish tank !

Spurs and Arsenal have lent theirs to car booters to display ornaments and old coins!

Chelsea keep theirs for the odd Mickey Mouse Cup Venture.

... tinsey winsey tiny tinpot little leeds use theirs for inter-club golf tournament trophies.

Heard this t'other day from a Palace Fan. He believes it actually happened!

Tis rumoured that after a crap, uninspiring training session pre- season...Uncle Roy. ..in one of his unglorious temper rants...shouted at the players..." Any of you that doesnt think we can win the PL this season...Get the F#ck out of my sight right now and retire !

Not that I don't like your idea, I like the thinking of different ways to implement VAR. What would you do in the following situation.
Tielmans commits red card tackle on Wilson. Ref gives free kick and play carries on. VAR is looking at the foul in the background.
AFCB take quick free kick.
Leicester win the ball, counter and Tielmans scores.
VAR decide Tielmans should be sent off.
So... does the goal stand?

If the soft signal from the ref on the pitch is red the player leaves the pitch until the decision is confirmed. If the soft signal is yellow or nothing the player stats on and you live with it if he scores - in that scenario he wouldn't have been sent off at all in pre-VAR days so it's an improvement.

Same goes for off the ball incidents the ref didn't see - they review them then tell the ref to send them off. Again these players would have got away with it pre-VAR.

My resistance to VAR is that it ruins the game. If it can be done without ruining the game, like goal line technology, I'm open minded.

Saw Ref Watch this morning.

Dermot Gallagher and Sue Smith both thought Tieleman's should have had a red card...but...Dermot also said it was probably not given by the VAR team due to them not agreeing 100% that it was a red. All down to keeping this imaginary bar high or something. Which all seems a bit ridiculous when they all thought it was a red still. Work that one out.

They thought Callum's yellow for the dive was probably justified. They thought Lerma should have had a second yellow but VAR could do nothing, as they only would if they thought it was a red. Dermot and Sue both said his tackle was not as bad as Tieleman.

As for the disallowed Villa goal....they ran a clip that had the sound of the refs whistle a fraction before Lansbury shot. Many Villa fans swear blind there are alternative clips that show the red with his hands by his side running and that he couldn't have blown his whistle. The whistle sound did appear to be a little bit 'added on'....are there any visible clips of the ref blowing I wonder? Either way - Dermot seemed to go out of his way to protect Kevin Friend's decision to yellow card Grealish for a dive, when he was clearly clipped at least once, got up and didn't appeal.....but he did say he wouldn't have done the same.

As for the disallowed Villa goal....they ran a clip that had the sound of the refs whistle a fraction before Lansbury shot. Many Villa fans swear blind there are alternative clips that show the red with his hands by his side running and that he couldn't have blown his whistle. The whistle sound did appear to be a little bit 'added on'....are there any visible clips of the ref blowing I wonder?

So we now have conspiracy theories about altered video clips used for VAR?

Shambles.

Refs pre-season agreement - "I won’t overturn your decision, when I’m at Stockley Park, if you don’t overturn mine when it’s your turn in the VAR studio."

Joking aside in effect this is what has happened. We wanted to avoid the overuse of Var that people didn’t like in previous tournaments so we have a British version where we look at same time one angle replays to make sure the ref hasn’t made a massive error.

The alternative was to look at all decisions from all angles and takeaway the referee pretty much all together.

I don’t want VAR but can see this isn’t doing it any favours. People are confused as to why it isn’t picking up what is blatantly obvious. We have seen it at first hand in our last two games, one decision for, one against. Two decisions as clear as day in slomo from different angles. You either have it and use it exhaustively or don’t have it at all in my book.

Joking aside in effect this is what has happened. We wanted to avoid the overuse of Var that people didn’t like in previous tournaments so we have a British version where we look at same time one angle replays to make sure the ref hasn’t made a massive error.

The alternative was to look at all decisions from all angles and takeaway the referee pretty much all together.

I don’t want VAR but can see this isn’t doing it any favours. People are confused as to why it isn’t picking up what is blatantly obvious. We have seen it at first hand in our last two games, one decision for, one against. Two decisions as clear as day in slomo from different angles. You either have it and use it exhaustively or don’t have it at all in my book.
But they know that using it exhaustively will be its death knell.

Still, no sympathy for them.

Shocking award of a penalty for Germany against the Netherlands for what was clearly an accidental handball. God give me strength.

Has it been abandoned?

Or are UEFA VAR wallahs just happy to turn up and pocket their fee.

Whichever, it shows just what a sorry mess the PL has become.

Looks like we wont have to worry about VAR for too much longer ! Seems after the new year all the pundits (I use the term lightly) have half our squad leaving and going to the rich pr-icks in the top six, and with our penchant for injuries we might only be able to field 4 or 5 fit players for the remaining seasons games .( sarc ):throw:

Embarrassing. Even ignoring the countless times where VAR WASN'T used for no discernible reason (example off the top of my head, handball not given in Sheff Utds equaliser), they've still actually admitted to 4 clear mistakes (again, also ignoring the ones they're not talking about, like the Grealish incident).

I genuinely can't think of a single incident where VAR was used to bring about a positive in a game; it seems to exist purely to disallow goals and accommodate the ridiculous new handball rule.

"We're still learning as we go" Riley says; considering the impact this could have on many teams' seasons, maybe you should have, you know, taken a bit more time to learn wtf you're doing, before shooting your load and rolling it out when no one clearly has any idea how to use it AT ALL.

S*** refs + s*** technology = one enormous s*** sandwich.

I also don't really understand all the weird little smallprint rules they have, such as not being able to look at a yellow card decision(even if its a red) or not being able to step in and overturn a decision if it's not deemed a clear and obvious error.

It's stuck in this very strange middle ground of not wanting to undermine the referee's decision, but then also accomplishing almost nothing that it was put in place for. Other than, of course, putting goals under a microscope to find those tasty handballs for the braindead new handball laws. VAR should be there to correct incorrect decisions, not protect the referees ego.

"He didn't quite see the potentially leg breaking challenge, so VAR couldn't do anything about it"- then wtf is the point of having cameras to highlight the incidents; you might as well just ignore them!

Embarrassing. Even ignoring the countless times where VAR WASN'T used for no discernible reason (example off the top of my head, handball not given in Sheff Utds equaliser), they've still actually admitted to 4 clear mistakes (again, also ignoring the ones they're not talking about, like the Grealish incident).

I genuinely can't think of a single incident where VAR was used to bring about a positive in a game; it seems to exist purely to disallow goals and accommodate the ridiculous new handball rule.

"We're still learning as we go" Riley says; considering the impact this could have on many teams' seasons, maybe you should have, you know, taken a bit more time to learn wtf you're doing, before shooting your load and rolling it out when no one clearly has any idea how to use it AT ALL.

S*** refs + s*** technology = one enormous s*** sandwich.

Totally agree with the general gist of your post, but not with the two incidents you mention. The Sheff Utd one, from what I've seen of the replays, didn't hit the guys arm, and the Grealish one was just shite refereeing. He blows the whistle cos he thinks it's a dive. VAR can't really overrule and allow the goal as the opposition would say they heard the whistle. What the ref should have done is allow play to continue and let VAR disallow it if it'd been a dive. I guess the ref was convinced it was a dive.

Yep, hell of a lot more than 4 incidents wrong. I'm pretty sure there are more than 4 for us alone that didn't even get as far as VAR for some reason.

It's not a good system. Needs to be the challenge system, it's the only sensible way. The caveat with that will be that we'll have to accept a potentially red carded player playing on until a break in play when we can instigate the challenge. Even if he scores, to be honest I can live with that.

;