VAR

Savage (who is a bit of a fool at times) really gave it to Dermot G. in the post-game. Dermot bravely defended the "undefendable". It should have been both pens or neither pens. VAR "threshold" cannot be identified.

Once again screwed ... but at least no STDs this time!

I would have no problem if they just walked it back to offside calls, which are binary.

Stayed off this thread for ages ...please is there anyone on here still defending the steaming pile of turd that is VAR ?
This version of VAR? I doubt it very much.
A version where they use it properly, I think we'd be back to the same discussions as before the season started.
At the moment it's pointless but for offsides

How the King incident was not a penalty is beyond me. Even on the saintsweb thread the vast majority thought it was stonewall. I have been consistent in not wanting it, but seriously what is the point of it, apart from to rule out goals which would previously have been considered fine?

I was working during the game so only saw the penalties and the offside goal later on. First of all, theirs was a penalty, its an obvious one, Cookie left his foot in, their player that split second too quick. No complaints from me.

Josh and his 'goal' - technically correct and we all moaned last season when there was a couple of similar decisions that went against us, Salah scoring being an obvious one, where we would have loved to have VAR. I have seen a few more like this with other teams this season too.

The Josh penalty not given - this is where VAR fails. Its a penalty. Anywhere else on the pitch, we all know we'd have been given a free kick. When even Stains fans are saying it was a penalty, you know how clear it was. How a VAR panel can look and not give it, baffles me.

I didn't hear Savage with Gallagher but if Dermot was trying to say it wasn't a penalty, I give up. So this is the second time this season VAR has failed us!

I’m sorry but I’d accept the Salah goal against us twenty times over so as not to have VAR.

The point of (some people) wanting VAR was to rule out mistakes. If it can’t do that then all you are left with are its down points. My view has always been there are so many technicalities it becomes impossible. I bet you could wipe any goal from a corner if you wanted to and also give a penalty for any corner. There will have been our players holding back Southampton players in Akes goal and theirs holding ours.

I went ballistic after the King goal, pure unadulterated joy struck off on a goal that would have stood had he had size six feet. That’s the first time that has happenned to us and any Man City fans will be thinking welcome to our world. From now on every post celebration will be tainted with ‘could there have been a foul in the build up’. For me the point of football is the release of a goal....that moment where all else in your life goes out the window.

To take that away to keep some Sam Allardyce or Mark Hughes types happy was wrong. Now that we can see it wouldn’t even keep them happy it’s just either cruel or a laughing stock depending on your frame of mind.

anyone know what coverage (camera angles) is used with VAR?
the low shot from behind the goal - king's is a nailed on pen - but the higher angle from the side, its not so obvious
if VAR only uses the wider angle then I can see why it wasn't given
either way, it's a total f*****g mess.....

VAR is the sh1t that keeps on sh1tting.

Never wanted it, but even I’m amazed at how crap it, it’s implementation and it’s interpretation by the twats in “control room” is turning out to be, and it’s getting worse.

Regards the penalty that wasn't...I just can't fathom it. Would love to hear the reasoning. That's exactly what it's there to correct! And it's not the first this season that's difficult to explain. Stamp at Leicester another. Man City penalty to pick one the other way? Seemingly the obvious clear cut issues it's supposed to be used for.

Regards offsides, we've always had goals ruled out afterwards for a late offside flag, that's nothing new. As gutting as it is when it happened against you, or relieving when it went your way.

Granted it likely becomes more common, and it's a tricky area to use this for because it's not often obvious (although sometimes is). Without infinite cameras you can't ensure it's always in-line.

But yeah, my overriding feeling is a head scratch as to why it fails with the seemingly more obvious stuff. One hope was that it would help transparency in officiating but that doesn't seem to be the case so far.

We now have twice as many people to get things wrong. Whoever thought it would help can't be from the real world.
I defy anyone to come up with a believable rational explanation for the failure to award us a penalty when Josh was brought down last night.

Last edited:
But the Salah goal last year was clearly a foot offside; King was “offside” by his pinky toe. Just like Auriers goal today.

I’ve always felt that offsides should only be given when the whole of your body is offside, rather than one limb. But that’s just me.

All of these offsides calls are so incredibly marginal that not one fan of either team would have complained about them not being given.

i thought when VAR is used its to see if ref/lino have made a mistake, the lino is obvious for offside etc but for the ref i thought they were looking from his viewpoint whether he made a mistake not from 100 different views, thats what i made of var being used

Shambles. These TV pundits opened the gates and now wonder why everything is flooded.

Richard Keys had the audacity to say when they started using tech on Sky Sports it was to show the good decisions which we all know is utter tosh. Since they took over at BeIN Sports they have put up who is refereeing each game and then scrutinised every bad decision made, now moan constantly about it. They have to accept some responsibility for it.

I think it can be alight but the way it's being applied now is crap and the laws of the gameneed to change to suit it. E.g. Everyone saying offside is black and white is technically right, but it's not possible to see the exact frame a ball was kicked at 1080p or even 2160p resolutions when zooming into someones foot as the ball is too blurred to see exactly when it was kicked. These margins where they're giving it for millimetres could well be right on their screen, but wrong if they're looking at the wrong frame of when the ball was actually kicked. There has to be a margin of acceptable error to allow for that.

I just like the challenge systems in Cricket/Tennis/NFL, plus let the ref check back if they're not sure.

Richard Keys had the audacity to say when they started using tech on Sky Sports it was to show the good decisions which we all know is utter tosh. Since they took over at BeIN Sports they have put up who is refereeing each game and then scrutinised every bad decision made, now moan constantly about it. They have to accept some responsibility for it.

I think it can be alight but the way it's being applied now is crap and the laws of the gameneed to change to suit it. E.g. Everyone saying offside is black and white is technically right, but it's not possible to see the exact frame a ball was kicked at 1080p or even 2160p resolutions when zooming into someones foot as the ball is too blurred to see exactly when it was kicked. These margins where they're giving it for millimetres could well be right on their screen, but wrong if they're looking at the wrong frame of when the ball was actually kicked. There has to be a margin of acceptable error to allow for that.

I just like the challenge systems in Cricket/Tennis/NFL, plus let the ref check back if they're not sure.

It doesn’t matter how you implement it. The technology simply doesn’t exist to get the black and white answers that those that way inclined crave.

So there will still be complaints and the more accurate they try to make it, the longer the decisions take and the more delays there will be...which will create more complaints.

None of these problems are newly discovered now that it’s been put into practice. Read through the thread, the warnings were there long before “VAR” was invented.

;