VAR

Forza Rossoneri!

First Team
Page last updated at 12:48 GMT, Tuesday, 19 February 2013
World Cup to use goal-line system

Fifa has confirmed goal-line technology will be used at the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.

The system was successfully trialled at the Club World Cup in December, and is being used for this summer's Confederations Cup.

Fifa president Sepp Blatter had previously stated his commitment to bringing in goal-line technology for the tournament in Brazil.

Fifa has invited tenders to provide the system.

Blatter has pushed for goal-line technology ever since he watched Frank Lampard denied a legitimate goal in England's defeat by Germany in the 2010 World Cup.

He subsequently said "sorry" for the mistake caused by Uruguayan referee Jorge Larrionda failing to spot the midfielder's shot had bounced over the line.

Both Goalref and Hawkeye were used at the Club World Cup and have Fifa approval.

Goalref works by using magnetic sensors to determine whether the ball crossed the line, while Hawkeye uses a number of cameras.

Two German firms are also likely to bid, with the tender expected to be awarded by early April.

A Fifa statement said: "After a successful implementation of Goal-Line Technology (GLT) at the Club World Cup in Japan in December 2012, Fifa has decided to use GLT at the 2013 Confederations Cup in Brazil and the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.

"The aim is to use GLT in order to support the match officials and to install a system in all stadia, pending the successful installation, and pre-match referee tests."

BBC © 2013

About time, too; even Blatter and his cronies couldn't ignore the injustice of the Lampard goal against Germany being disallowed.

Let's hope that the contract goes to Hawkeye, as it's an English company.

Is there anywhere I can place a bet that the first actual use of this system in a real live game will be in a world cup game between England and Germany with Germany being awarded a goal as a result?

That's just how these things work...

RobTrent - 19/2/2013 19:19

What a pile of sh*t.

:grin:

hang on Rob i need to dig out a photo of the seats at Man City in the posh end, like armchairs they are, with arm rests but this bloody poxy site wont let me post pics any more

When they say 'all stadia', at what level will this technological innovation go down to? Hopefully no lower than the Premiershi*.

Get this in and wait to see how long it is before Martin Tyler demands camera rulings for a corner which should have been a goal-kick, offsides that were onsides and basically any disputable decision.

And dont get me started on Harlem Shakes;-)

But Rob - All of these could be done automatically inside 1 second with Hawkeye. Agreed it's part of the game, but 10 years down the line it won't be. Simple as that. The only controversies that will exist are penalty and free kick decisions, which is fine for me.

Good, long time overdue, been so many bad mistakes when camera shows ball clearly over the line and officials have missed it.

The argument that it is all part of the game and these things happen and even themselves out over time doesn't wash with me.

If technology can help say if the ball crossed the line or not in my book that is a good thing.

Anything else on the pitch should be decided by the officials.

Something as basic and simple as the ball over the line should never be in doubt, it should be black or white so this is good news.

It must be made clear though that it won't be used for every question marked decison going, just the basic ball over the line or not.

RobTrent - 19/2/2013 19:33

When they say 'all stadia', at what level will this technological innovation go down to? Hopefully no lower than the Premiershi*.

Get this in and wait to see how long it is before Martin Tyler demands camera rulings for a corner which should have been a goal-kick, offsides that were onsides and basically any disputable decision.

:clap: :110:

Football should be the same across all levels of football, unless they develop something simple and instant that is cheap and works no matter what the level I'm not interested and Hawk Eye with its 12 cameras and computer graphics does not provide this.

It also threatens the use of more technology being introduced which would not be good. Players are not immune to making errors and neither are officials, its all been part of the game for 150 years and it all seems to have worked rather well until now.

DJ - 20/2/2013 16:12

RobTrent - 19/2/2013 19:33

Players are not immune to making errors and neither are officials, its all been part of the game for 150 years and it all seems to have worked rather well until now.

But has it? Controversy on when the ball has crossed the line or not has been many a discussion over the years, but now there is a way to give the correct decision surely that is the way to go.

Should a team lose a game because of a controversial goal which could be the difference between promotion or relegation, winning a cup or major tournament?

I would only want it for the ball across the line decision for a goal or not which could be a big decision on which way a result went.

Anywhere in the field of play which would include ball crossing line for goalkick or corner should be left to the officials.

billythekid - 20/2/2013 16:25

its all been part of the game for 150 years and it all seems to have worked rather well until now.

But has it?

Well football has grown to be the biggest and most popular sport in the world so I'd say it has.

Just think of all the times that a controversial decision has been the only talking point of a game, why would you want to take that away? It's all part of the drama.

DJ - 20/2/2013 16:29

billythekid - 20/2/2013 16:25

its all been part of the game for 150 years and it all seems to have worked rather well until now.

But has it?

Well football has grown to be the biggest and most popular sport in the world so I'd say it has.

Just think of all the times that a controversial decision has been the only talking point of a game, why would you want to take that away? It's all part of the drama.

There are plenty of other talking points, to get the correct decision on if the ball had crossed the line or not for me must be this technology.

We will agree to disagree on this one. :grin:

Forza Rossoneri! - 20/2/2013 16:39

'Worked rather well,' DJ?

So presumably it was all part and parcel of the game to have the Lampard goal disallowed.

Is technology the only way to resolve mistakes?

Wouldn't better referees and linesman who keep up with play and have better positional sense also improve things? Would every single referee have missed that goal?

I'm not arguing for incompetency, I'm arguing for keeping football on a level playing field throughout every level of football from the World Cup finals right through to non league and Sunday league.

DJ - 20/2/2013 16:49

Forza Rossoneri! - 20/2/2013 16:39

'Worked rather well,' DJ?

So presumably it was all part and parcel of the game to have the Lampard goal disallowed.

Is technology the only way to resolve mistakes?

Wouldn't better referees and linesman who keep up with play and have better positional sense also improve things? Would every single referee have missed that goal?

I'm not arguing for incompetency, I'm arguing for keeping football on a level playing field throughout every level of football from the World Cup finals right through to non league and Sunday league .

How many good referees do we get at DC in one season against average and poor refs?

The officials in that World Cup game missed what was blatantly a ball well over the line.

Of course we could rely on the honesty of the keeper to say if it crossed the line or not.

billythekid - 20/2/2013 16:58

How many good referees do we get at DC in one season against average and poor refs?

The officials in that World Cup game missed what was blatantly a ball well over the line.

But how many goal line decisions that were made have been wrong at Dean Court? There was one last season maybe, think it was against Oldham (?) where most the North Stand thought we'd conceded, but the officials didn't give it, we all tune in to the Football League show to see the replay and it was at best inconclusive.

Yes that's just one angle and strapping 12 cameras around the place for Hawk-Eye would be clearer, but that's an awful lot of technology (and expense) at every single ground around the world (if you want a level playing field) for a handful of decisions which most of the time the officials get right anyway.

As you and I have a difference of views on this subject I expect this MB will be split as well.

You can provide argument for the technology and people will provide argument against it, it will probably end in stalemate.

But it seems at the end of the day it is going to happen as with a lot of updated technology we have in our lives now.

;