Villa Forum

I actually have more sympathy with MOTD, they have a couple of hours to come up with an edit I guess....but Goals On Sunday, they have plenty of time to get something in place that does cover ever talking point really. Its a much better show overall of course but...still puzzling when they miss something like the Josh 'penalty'.

Not sure I referenced MOTD with regards to their logistics, am sure it's a similar basis. Gary Taphouse has done Sky Sports Match Choice though. Happy to help. (y)

I've absolutely no doubt you're faithfully repeating what you've been told.

Nevertheless, I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting to see some actual evidence that MOTD or the 10.30pm Sky hightlights show - because that's what we were talking about - uses a points system to decide what gets broadcast. If they do it seems a curious method to use.

Ultimately though, there's a difference between facts and hearsay.

We get swamped with hearsay on this MB, just like other forums, so my questions are not personal. Only a few days ago one poster told us that '...the BBC have informed all their staff that the climate change debate is over...', which is bullshit.

However MOTD or Sky decide on what they show, maintaining viewing figures will trump all other factors.

I actually have more sympathy with MOTD, they have a couple of hours to come up with an edit I guess....but Goals On Sunday, they have plenty of time to get something in place that does cover ever talking point really. Its a much better show overall of course but...still puzzling when they miss something like the Josh 'penalty'.
Just imagine what it was like for The Premiership when it was on ITV at 7pm. Saturday teatime kick-offs weren't a regular fixture then like they are now, but often, when there was a late game, the programme would begin without the match having concluded.

MOTD are in a difficult situation. Some people just want to see football. Others like the analysis - especially if pundits are purring over their side after a win.

I think given the 90 mins they have for the show, they get the balance about right.

Back on topic...

The trip to Villa was a pleasure from start to finish. All of the Villa fans I chatted to were really complimentary about AFCB and very realistic about where they are for the season ahead.

Great bunch in the Wellington beforehand.

After the game our group was heading to the Bartons Arms , following my google directions. A chap asked 'where you heading?'. When I told him he said I'm going there come with me.. chatted all the way thrre about the game and season... his take is they have a lot to learn very quickly!

Back at the pub they were a proper friendly bunch. Got into a long conversation about 'that goal'. Despite the fact they have won the league and European cup they all remember those days fondly. They were genuinely interested in our history around that time.. club name change etc..Got given a guided tour of the pub, pointing out all the architectural features.

Proper footy away day, great beer, great footy match, great home fans. Cant wait to go again next season.

Dont be fooled by the rantings of a few keyboard warriors.

Just imagine what it was like for The Premiership when it was on ITV at 7pm. Saturday teatime kick-offs weren't a regular fixture then like they are now, but often, when there was a late game, the programme would begin without the match having concluded.
When were they on ITV? I really cant remember that!

When were they on ITV? I really cant remember that!
I think 2001-2004, when ITV poached Des Lynam - they made a big song and dance about putting the football highlights at a time when they'd usually show Blind Date, only to move it back to 10.30pm for the second season onwards - when the 7pm ratings tanked!

Just for my personal edification, how many channels do you have?
Depends what you want to spend

In the seventies we had three channels, with channel 4 arriving in the eighties. Channel 5 is more recent. These are the universal free channels, supplemented now by a selection of “free view” channels available via most modern tv’s. you can then pay for satellite/cable in various packages (movies, sport etc), so if you pay the maximum you end up with a few hundred channels

Reactions: OBX
I think 2001-2004, when ITV poached Des Lynam - they made a big song and dance about putting the football highlights at a time when they'd usually show Blind Date, only to move it back to 10.30pm for the second season onwards - when the 7pm ratings tanked!
Don’t remember the exact year but clearly remember Gary Lineker saying:-

“We will be back after the break”

Something which will be lost on our North American friends!

Depends what you want to spend

In the seventies we had three channels, with channel 4 arriving in the eighties. Channel 5 is more recent. These are the universal free channels, supplemented now by a selection of “free view” channels available via most modern tv’s. you can then pay for satellite/cable in various packages (movies, sport etc), so if you pay the maximum you end up with a few hundred channels

OK, that is pretty much the same. The US has a number of channels that you can pull with an antenna, but reception can be spotty. Then you have either Cable or Satellite, where you can go from 40 to hundreds of channels.

Thank you for filling me in.

OK, that is pretty much the same. The US has a number of channels that you can pull with an antenna, but reception can be spotty. Then you have either Cable or Satellite, where you can go from 40 to hundreds of channels.

Thank you for filling me in.

If you have a computer you can watch whatever you want these days.
Just hook it up to your tv and bingo.

Reactions: OBX

;