Villa - The verdict

Not sure how billing didn't get 2 yellows in the first half. I think the first was for dissent, and apart from about 3 or 4 fouls for which anyone could have been a yellow, he also had another go at the ref. Not so clever!

I’m not sure how he managed it either, especially with the VAR check on the last challenge before half Time. Sensible to take him off

Ramsdale-brilliant, so refreshing to have a keeper that commands his area. Good kicking and great shot stopping.
Smith-very good. Got up and down and solid.
Daniels-did okay. The odd error and lapse in concentration that we’ve come accustomed to. But steady enough.
Cook and Ake-threw themselves in front of absolutely everything. Nothing to pick between them, both brilliant.
H Wilson-very positive performance, comfortable coming in off the right and receiving the ball in central positions. Good passing and use of ball, looks creative. Exactly what we need from this position.
Fraser-thought he was below par again tbh. Didn’t really get involved that much, often lost the ball when he did. One electric break away late on but fluffed a relatively easy chance, just needed to hit it anywhere bar where he did. Set pieces poor too.
Lerma-what a beast. Tracked every blade of grass, looked to be building a great partnership with Billing. A huge reason we were able to see the game out.
Billing-actually thought he had a brilliant first half in the main, just a shame he completely lost his head but hopefully will learn from this. Lucky not to be sent off in the end, let the emotion of the occasion get the better of him. However before this great display of tackling, intercepting and passing. Huge huge potential.
King-did okay in the early stages of the game but became more and more frustrating as the game wore on. Attempting stupid flicks, not holding onto the ball and poor weight of pass on several occasions. Love the guy but still maintain he can’t play with Wilson effectively and is never a number 10.
Wilson-a threat in the first half, won penalty and set up H Wilson for a great chance. Did nothing in the second half until Solanke came on then he looked more threatening, early signs are that DS and CW could form an exciting partnership.
Surman-did his best, put in a shift. Let’s be honest he’s been a great servant but don’t want to be relying on him to often. Doesn’t have the legs to play in a 2.
Solanke-thought he was brilliant when he came on. Created 2 big chances for teammates, his ball to set up Fraser in particular was very intelligent link up play. Also held the ball up and took the pressure off the defence. Most importantly linked well with CW and looked far more of a threat with him on the pitch imo.

Just my thoughts for anyone that could be bothered to read through haha

So much better than last week

This is what happens when you go at teams from the off.A lesson learned maybe

Comfy at 0-2 a nervy 10 minutes after they scored but saw the game out well

A good day out a few beers an away win what's not too like.Away days are back.

Just watching the highlights

Wow, I’d have been livid if an opposition player had got away with what Billing did without getting a red

Just watching the highlights

Wow, I’d have been livid if an opposition player had got away with what Billing did without getting a red
I agree with the foul the ref missed, but not the niggly ones after that, I barely thought he deserved a booking for the actual yellow he got.

I agree with the foul the ref missed, but not the niggly ones after that, I barely thought he deserved a booking for the actual yellow he got.

It was his 4th bad challenge preventing build up play, the ref clearly pointed around the pitch at where the others were and why he booked him. It definitely didn't help that he reacted so badly to the (blatant) free kick.

Good performance,, great result but....a decent team would have put 4 past us yesterday. Villa's finishing showed the difficulty newly promoted teams face. Having someone who can score 15 goals in the PL is imperative. Good to see EH giving Wilson his debut and putting some faith in him. Ibe dropped further down the pecking order after yesterday. Good to see Charlie back but EH resorting to 'the old guard' shows how he's struggled to find a suitable replacement at LB. Maybe Kelly when he's fit. Still lots for us to improve on but games under the belt will do that. Our central midfield makes us so much more solid, no longer an easy touch for the opposition to play through. It was mentioned that Billing was the new Arter, no, Billing is a different level ! Still no denying that was a good result away from home. Villa looked at us as one of the team's they have to beat and we taught them a lesson. Well done lads !!

Not sure how billing didn't get 2 yellows in the first half. I think the first was for dissent, and apart from about 3 or 4 fouls for which anyone could have been a yellow, he also had another go at the ref. Not so clever!

Also thought their bloke slyly stamping on Fraser could have been a red.

Hopefully EH will have a quiet chat with Billing and get him to calm down a bit. I suspect something similar was done with Lerma as he's seemed to have become more controlled with his tackling, but still showing the commitment needed.

a decent team would have put 4 past us yesterday

I didn't see too many absolute howlers missed by them though? We just defended well. And you could also say, we could also have scored four, when you think of the late couple of chances and the penalty missed for the foul on Josh.

Always makes me squirm when people say.....'but a decent team would have done this or that'..... all PL teams are decent if given the chance....Villa are a decent team....they had possession but not too many clear chances due to us defending well.

;