Wanted - an onfield leader

langham

First Team
Top priority for the new manager - a player to lead by example on the pitch. We need someone with grit and energy - and the confidence to take charge when things go wrong (as they did week after week last season). Neither Francis nor S Cook were up to it as captains and the battling Gozza sadly doesn't have the skills. Ake was the nearest we got and even he was too restrained to do the job effectively.

Ideally we need a midfielder who can hold and pass - and who's mouthy and ready to take a lead. No one in the squad at present fits the bill. Ideas anyone?? (Please not Arter...)

Gosling has probably 2 more good seasons in him at Champ level. A good Lead by Example man. Let's see...assuming he stays under the New Gaffer.

Top priority for the new manager - a player to lead by example on the pitch. We need someone with grit and energy - and the confidence to take charge when things go wrong (as they did week after week last season). Neither Francis nor S Cook were up to it as captains and the battling Gozza sadly doesn't have the skills. Ake was the nearest we got and even he was too restrained to do the job effectively.

Ideally we need a midfielder who can hold and pass - and who's mouthy and ready to take a lead. No one in the squad at present fits the bill. Ideas anyone?? (Please not Arter...)

I think if you look at our record with Franno in the side you wouldn't conclude that he wasn't up to it as captain. In fact in the later years his worth as a captain outweighed his worth as a player.

For me it has to be Lewis Cook. A young hungry player, and it may help him to show the form he had at the start of the 18/19 season. He has natural leadership and could be the captain for the next 10 years if it all goes well.

When the new man comes in...if we don’t resign Daniels, Surman and Francis I’m going to be very disappointed. To lose 3 dressing room leaders in one fell swoop, to me, is a horrible omen to set for the season ahead. And given that all three were still serviceable at the top level, I find it hard to believe they wouldn’t be effective in the championship.

A leader has to gee up players, encourage them, take responsibility on the field. Our team is pretty quiet. There are players that lead by example, but that’s not enough. If Cook says that players weren’t doing what they told to do then a true leader should ensure they do.
The last on pitch leader that really led by example AND geed everyone up was Supa.

A leader has to gee up players, encourage them, take responsibility on the field. Our team is pretty quiet. There are players that lead by example, but that’s not enough. If Cook says that players weren’t doing what they told to do then a true leader should ensure they do.
The last on pitch leader that really led by example AND geed everyone up was Supa.

I'd argue that Tommy Elphick used to do that.

;