Wembley to be sold?

or more significantly, someone with an interest in NFL
Given the abuse FA received over cost of Wembley, for £800m, who could blame them for selling up

Doesn't sound like much given the cost of the thing. Can't say it bothers me either way - it may even have positives if they free themselves from the financial burden of it they can play semi finals where they like. Also they would have to play Autumn internationals elsewhere too if they have NFL there and that's no bad thing.

I thought about the FA Cup semi finals as well, but my guess it would be tied in to the contract for a specified amount of time.

Not sure how many more NFL games they can expect, unless they're actually considering going for a London team. On top of Wembley, at least 2 per year will be played at the new White Hart Lane as well.

I thought about the FA Cup semi finals as well, but my guess it would be tied in to the contract for a specified amount of time.

Not sure how many more NFL games they can expect, unless they're actually considering going for a London team. On top of Wembley, at least 2 per year will be played at the new White Hart Lane as well.

The Fulham guy owns Jacksonville jaguars so it looks like he's planning to bring the whole franchise to London. There will still be other games at Tottenham too apparently.

Should they sell?

Home to England National Team for years (including twin towers stadium).

Lot of FA Cup history as well.

Agree they shouldn’t sell.

Fulham play by the Thames, there is another old building next to the Thames they might consider purchasing instead, needs a lot of work done, so they might consider an offer. :grinning:

Should have reused the Olympic Stadium for NFL if the powers that be really want a London based NFL franchise. That'd be a better use for it than West Ham's football ground.

Should have reused the Olympic Stadium for NFL if the powers that be really want a London based NFL franchise. That'd be a better use for it than West Ham's football ground.

Then they could move back to their more traditional stadium at Upton Park when the fans are nearer to the action.

Or maybe not!

Perhaps there could be a vote as to whether the ground should be sold. And if the result isn't what you want, hold a secret meeting after the vote and get the result the profiteers want.

I hope every penny is accountable in this deal...Or some of the cash could go missing.
Hmmmm!

Think that sounds about right Mark. Still, it's a stupendous amount of money and if even a significant portion is ploughed into grass roots footie, this is probably a decent result.

Perhaps it's the industry I'm in but it always seems to me that there is a strange sentimentality about property ownership in this country, even for commercial property.

I've seen it countless times when a firm owns their building and is making a fraction of the return that they would if they invested that cash into their main business.

Obviously football is different, as we know from DC, but this sentimentality about Wembley stadium only seems to stretch as far back as 1999 when they bought it. I can't remember one person saying that it was a national disgrace that the FA didn't own Wembley before then.

Think it goes back to the original Wembley and the FA Cup Final only being played there and the hope your side might play at Wembley.

Then the England side almost always played there.

The only time we won the World Cup was in 1966 at Wembley.

The old Twin Towers Stadium holds more football history, but the New Wembley is still on that site, like our Stadium at Dean Court.

I know it was the ‘Mickey Mouse’ Cup, but going to Wembley to see my team play was a special day, even though we lost.

As long as it will be used like in the past

..in today's commercial world probably everything has a price...after all we sold London Bridge way back too....The New Wembley is a soulless place compared to the old version that ooozed the ghosts from the past...I still recall our Auto Windsheild Final there and how it was amazing to see my club performing under the Twin Towers!

If some billionaire wants to fill the coffers of The FA then fair enough I say...maybe The FA Cup Final will end up at The Millenium Stadium again which is better IMO

....The FA could use the money to preserve grass roots football in this country, but will it be used wisely?

;