West Ham Report and MOM

Thanks, really good report. It was an impressive display all round. I was a bit worried when Wilson and Brooks both missed very good chances. A second West Ham goal would have killed us off. But they didn't. Steve Cook's pass for Wilson's goal was sublime.

Next week Everton. It shows how far we have come in this division that we will meet them as equals.

Oh, and Wilson has now scored in 3 games in a row.

Good times.

Good report well done. Whoever it was thanks for the tip to use the DLR.

I thought we were excellent. Attwell had a shocker. Let hammers get away with a lot. Although he booked six of their players most of them should have been booked before so they were lucky to finish with eleven men.

How does Anautovic get away with an agressive haka on his knees on the centre spot before kick off. Is that ungentlemanly conduct?

Very nice report! I agree with you about the criticism of Surman, I can't see where the criticism is coming from, he's a very good player. Smith was absolutely fantastic yesterday, however I'd mark down King and Daniels by one - they were very quiet imo.
Charlie was marking two players most of the time, a solid performance.
King was quite, but no one can be brilliant every game.

Excellent report from Liam!

A few random and sobered thoughts to throw out there:

Brooks is basically an assists machine. His vision and ambition for passes around the final third is something rather special. IF we can nurture that, get him and our forward players onto a wavelength, we are going to create so many chances.

Disappointed Wilson missed that first half chance from Brooks, it was gilt edged and fully firing Wilson gobbles that right up. But much like last week, I went from thinking it wasn't going to be Callum's day, to punching the air in delight at a very nice Wilson goal.

That Wilson is still missing chances you'd expect him to score, whilst also scoring more difficult chances, gives me a rather exciting thought that he can improve some yet and get even better, especially with Brooks supplying.

Also a shame Brooks himself didn't get on the score sheet, that header, as well as a couple of efforts from range, a goal for him isn't too far away you'd think. And he deserves it.

So we seem to have a front 4 working quite well, we know Fraser is on form. Kingy, put in a big shift yesterday. Didn't get a lot of end product for his efforts, but he ran and ran closing down all day long. not sure that is quite his preferred game, I think he'd rather be the centre forward getting the chances, but it's a nice problem to have.

Where we went wrong for periods in which West Ham had the ascendancy, was the midfield. When you have Fraser and Brooks wanting to play very much on the front foot, Gosling and Surman were out numbered and out fought for periods. Yes I would prefer Cook in there for a bit more bite than Surman as I always bang on about. But with whoever we have there, we would have struggled for periods, just the way that 4-4-2 goes.

The back 4 and keeper did what they had to do, West Ham didn't have loads of clear chances although did have their moments. The front 4 when we go forward, as I've said worked well. If we can just get the central midfield spot-on (particually out of possession) - we'll have something potentially quite special on our hands...Certainly gives Eddie some selection headaches.

It was nice to be able to bring Cook on later to help the midfield, although I'd argue it was (as Howe often leaves it) about 10 minutes too late! Francis also came on a bit earlier, with Smith just in front to try and sure up that flank. It worked fairly, Francis didn't look as initially poor as he did coming on last week.

I though West Ham's penalty was correct in that it was a foul, my only thought was that the buildup was offside. The MOTD footage wasn't ideal for judging offside either so I'm still none the wiser. My 'offside gut feeling' was ringing bells at the time. But I guess we cannot complain after the equaliser last season.

The ref was weak overall though. Had those periods where he gave West Ham all kinds of decisions whilst ignoring anything that went in on us. Then for the last 10 minutes he starting giving lots to us, much to the home fan's anger, although did ignore a decent late penalty shout of our own.

MOTM is very hard to choose, Wilson for the goal? Brooks for all the through balls and for earning the winning free kick? King for all his running? Fraser for causing problems throughout? Brooks I think.

Last edited:
Good report, Thanks. In Nathan Ake's interview on the club site he mentioned that previously the ball would often be played square or back. He said that Brooks was changing that and the ball was going forwards a lot more. I can't get to games any more so only see highlights. Are others also making more forward passes instead of sideways or backwards?

Half a dozen of us at a wedding yesterday relying on latest score texts and no idea of the performance- this report does the trick :utc:

There were lots of low forward passes from the defenders right into the feet of the strikers yesterday. Whether that’s a new approach from us or just a consequence of the space in West Ham’s midfield I’m not sure. It certainly played a big part in the victory

Good report, Thanks. In Nathan Ake's interview on the club site he mentioned that previously the ball would often be played square or back. He said that Brooks was changing that and the ball was going forwards a lot more. I can't get to games any more so only see highlights. Are others also making more forward passes instead of sideways or backwards?
I noticed in Marseille friendly, we seemed to have adopted a faster and more direct approach to attacking. More reminiscent of the promotion year......

I seem to be in the minority in thinking the West Ham penalty should not have been given. This is not a moan at the referee's, as I thought it was a penalty on the first viewing. However, Hernandez slips all on his own and can now not get to the ball. His leg which slips is the one which, just about, makes contact with Ake's foot. Hernandez won that penalty all in making the refs believe it was Ake who made his foot go back.
As mentioned during the WC, It is not a penalty or free kick just because there's contact.

I seem to be in the minority in thinking the West Ham penalty should not have been given. This is not a moan at the referee's, as I thought it was a penalty on the first viewing. However, Hernandez slips all on his own and can now not get to the ball. His leg which slips is the one which, just about, makes contact with Ake's foot. Hernandez won that penalty all in making the refs believe it was Ake who made his foot go back.
As mentioned during the WC, It is not a penalty or free kick just because there's contact.
The agony he was in I thought they were going to have to land the air ambulance on the pitch.

Watched the highlights on AFCB TV - such a contrast to the start last season - great to see some quality confident football from us - the pass from Brooks for Callum’s first half chance was De Bruyneesque ! The pass from Cook for the Wilson goal sublime ...
We look good , fingers crossed it continues....
Interesting interview with Cookie after the game - speaks about the excellent pre-season and togetherness as a squad , all playing for each other and for success , in comparison to last season ....
Suggests a couple of disruptive influences in the squad last year ?
UTCIAD

I took a screenshot of us in first place. 10 years ago we were -17 and close to going out of business (somethign relegation would almost certainly have brought about). Now we are one of the richest clubs in the world. just amazing.

Good report well done. Whoever it was thanks for the tip to use the DLR.

I thought we were excellent. Attwell had a shocker. Let hammers get away with a lot. Although he booked six of their players most of them should have been booked before so they were lucky to finish with eleven men.

How does Anautovic get away with an agressive haka on his knees on the centre spot before kick off. Is that ungentlemanly conduct?

Paul,

At one stage I thought that Noble was reffing the game!

My first attempt and first post!

Cherries strike hammer blow to big spending EastEnders

Bournemouth travelled to East London full of confidence following our first ever opening day win in the Premier League last week, with no new injury concerns and only some speculation as to whether Lerma would get a look in.

It was my first ever visit to the London Stadium. While the facilities are good and public transport links decent enough, I now get the criticism. Being so far from the pitch and so open, It's hard to generate atmosphere and it feels a bit like the Emirates. It's especially hard for the away support as the 2 sections (lower and upper) are divided by a massive gap so it's hard to sync up the singing.

As we all should have guessed, Eddie didn't change a winning team (or bench) and kept the same 11 who beat Cardiff. Not sure why anybody was surprised with this, it's Eddie's way and it's worked alright so far!

The pre match atmosphere was built up through the usual bubble-blowing machines, video montages of Moore, Di Canio and err Andy Carol, and the fans generated some impressive noise as we kicked off. There seemed to be an optimistic mood amongst the home fans given the money spent on new signings. 2 of these new signings, Anderson on the left wing and Wilshere in the centre started for the Hammers.

After a relatively good start from Bournemouth, West Ham started to take a hold of the game and Anderson linked well with Masuaku on their left to create a flurry of half chances and corners. Arnautovic, who was a handful all day was also causing problems but Cook and Ake, who were both immense, were like a pair of football magnets, heading everything away. Then out of the blue, Brooks found Wilson unmarked in the area with a smart pass. Wilson looked surprised to be onside and shot first time but Fabianski saved well.

Then around 30 minutes in, Hernandez turned sharply in the area, Ake slid in and down he went. The referee originally didn't give it but the lineo called him over and it was given. Looked stonewall from my angle but the contact was more marginal having seen it on MOTD (but still a pen in my view). ARNAUTIVIC slotted home the pen emphatically.

Bournemouth rallied well and Brooks had a golden opportunity to level with a free header which he fluffed from 10 yards out. 1-0 at half time.

We came out with the same 11 in the second half. Eddie and JT must have spiked the half-time oranges as we stepped it up a couple of gears and everyone looked sharper, especially Wee man, Smith, Brooks and Callum who were all linking up well.

For about 10 mins the ref lost the plot a little - waving away a clear push on Fraser in the box, not booking Wilshere for a late lunge on Surman and then booking King for one not as bad, but we looked much more comfortable and pressure was building. The equaliser came from nothing though, WILSON picked it up on half way, turned and had no support. Faced with 5 West Ham defenders he just ran and ran, they backed off and then threw themselves in, he skipped around the last challenge and slotted it through Fabianski to send the away crowd wild. It reminded me of Pitman vs Fulham a few years ago and there were similar scenes behind the goal.

We then ramped up the pressure even more, and the home crowd were starting to turn. Brooks turned Masouaku (who imploded in the 2nd half) and was hauled down just outside the box on the right. Wee man clipped it in and COOK dived in to head it home, sparking delirious scenes from the AFCB support.

West Ham brought on 2 of their new signings, Perez and Sanchez and we brought on Franno for Brooks. Franno's first touch was a Messi-esque flick over his man to set up another good break and we were looking dangerous on the counter. Wilshere was booked for a hack on guess who, I'd love to see the stats on how many times Wee Man has been fouled in the PL! We managed the game really well in this period though, restricting the Hammers to hopeful through balls, a few corners and crosses, while Ake and Cook repelled everything in sight.

More West Ham bookings arrived (6 in total I think!) and we swapped King for Cook. We continued to threaten on the counter and in truth, we saw the last 10 minutes out fairly comfortably as the West Ham fans headed for the exits in droves! Even some oles for our slick passing in midfield!

Verdict

I really, really enjoyed today as it showed how far we have come as a team. Great character to get back in it (again!), great ambition not to sit back at 1-1, and the composure and 'game management' which we lacked in our first 2 seasons in the Prem. Our defence looked class, especially Ake, Cook, Smith and Begovic (I still think Daniels looks a little sluggish defensively and that Rico will come in at some point).

Surman and Gosling were excellent 2nd half but I think Cook will come in and improve the team when we are trying to break down teams at home. Wee man is looking so confident and Brooks has slotted in like he's been here for years. Wilson needed a goal like that to spark him as he'd looked a little bit lacking in confidence earlier after his first half miss.

Our bench today (even without 50m of talent) looked so strong, probably as strong as I can remember. So with Lerma, Rico and Stan to add to the mix, it's hugely exciting times to be a Bournemouth fan. Competition for places will be so strong!

Ratings

Begovic - 7 - Solid kicking and some good low stops from distance strikes. Looking very dependable now.

Cook - 10 - was going to put 9, but he really didn't put a foot wrong plus scored the winner and assisted the equaliser so it's a perfect 10 for me!
Ake - 8 - Clumsy for the pen but flawless otherwise, his positioning is immense
Smith - 8 - Still think he is underrated for us, such a strong defender and attacking outlet
Daniels - 7 - he laboured a bit in the first half but much improved 2nd half defensively

Surman - 7 - Solid throughout and some nice interceptions and link up play. I don't really understand the criticism to be honest, but I only see away games live so maybe I'm missing something!
Gosling - 7 - Great energy particularly in 2nd half, but a little sloppy in first half
Fraser - 8 - Just such a threat constantly and a great cross for the winner. Attracts so many fouls and yellows
Brooks - 9 - incredible display for someone so young and new to the team. Looks at home and created most of our chances. Should have scored at least one though with 2 glorious chances

King - 7 - Always a menace with his pace and strength, but looks a bit short on confidence. Needs a goal
Wilson - 8 - incredible solo goal and some excellent hold up play to ease the pressure

Great Report Liam, totally agree with the scoring.

;