West Ham's midfield

northstandmark

UTC Legend
As we saw today, Liverpool took West Ham apart. We'll have to see what that means for us in terms of sparking a backlash in what'll be West Ham's first home game of this season.

What struck me was the speed of which Liverpool stormed through midfield. West Ham's side may have been technically competent when allowed possession, but every time a Liverpool player showed a turn of pace, West Ham could not hack it. Particularly the central due Mark Noble, and of course Jack Wilshere.

They also had Rice sat in front of the back 4 as a defensive midfielder, they may not employ that shield at home to us, but Noble and Wilshere as a pair is a fair bet I'd say. Even if they do start with Rice as a holding man again, he also isn't known for pace.

This makes me think about our own potential lineup. Whilst obviously we do not have quite the same class of player as Liverpool, we do have some pace.

4-5-1 / 4-3-3 - a midfield central 3 to try and snuff out the passing range of Wilshere and Noble, get on the top of them and get in their face, could really help us next week. I wasn't happy with the exclusion of Lewis Cook yesterday but he makes a lot of sense for next week, because he loves a turn and run, he can beat a man in midfield happily. For gods sake play him next week Eddie. Gosling will run and run and was one of our best players yesterday.

The choice in my head is whether Surman starts, leaving Gosling and Cook further forward. Then we bring Brooks into the middle 3 later (dropping Gosling back). Or whether we start Brooks with Gosling and Cook.

I think Eddie would go for the former, it would after all be a big ask for Brooks. And Surman did fine first half yesterday, although lost control of the midfield and indeed slightly lost the plot second half. So I'd hope if and when we do go with Surman and his experience in there, we don't leave it too long to bring Brook's fresh legs on. Brooks looked very comfortable and tidy as a number 10 link man yesterday when given the chance to come in from the wing into central areas.

That central area is key. Then just put a pacey counter attacking front 3 together, and we'll create chances no question. West Ham will come at us, their crowd will expect an open and attacking West Ham performance. Our speedy men like Fraser and King would enjoy that.

I like us playing the 4-3-3 with a pacy front 3 of King, Wilson and Fraser. Realistically, Eddie hasn’t played that way for a long time and we didn’t try it in pre-season either.

The most likely way of seeing a front 3 like that is also by playing a back 3. Since one of Surman or Francis will start (Captain and Vice Captain), going 3-4-3, allows Francis to start with Lewis Cook replacing Surman.

Begovic
Francis Cook Aké
Smith Cook Gosling Daniels
Fraser Wilson King

*I personally don’t necessarily think one of Francis or Surman should play BTW, but I just know that’s what will happen*

You played your get out of jail card with style as we all know where you are coming from.

What midfield? Too many new signings can disrupt the whole team.

I can't understand it when teams make so many signings. Fulham, Wolves, Brighton, West Ham etc. It can take so long to integrate players. look at Fulham, came up with an exciting team - changed everything - played a different team completely and looked dreadful at the back yesterday.

I can't understand it when teams make so many signings. Fulham, Wolves, Brighton, West Ham etc. It can take so long to integrate players. look at Fulham, came up with an exciting team - changed everything - played a different team completely and looked dreadful at the back yesterday.

Agreed. I can't understand as to why teams such as Brighton would make 16 signings during the summer break and only use five (with one starting) in the 18 man line up against Watford. It seems that they are throwing money away. They've got a decent, well built, squad but I can assure that half of them will be gone within two years' time.
Yes, the purpose of some of those signings are for developmental purposes however I don't see Andone or Montoya in the line-up!

I like us playing the 4-3-3 with a pacy front 3 of King, Wilson and Fraser. Realistically, Eddie hasn’t played that way for a long time and we didn’t try it in pre-season either.

The most likely way of seeing a front 3 like that is also by playing a back 3. Since one of Surman or Francis will start (Captain and Vice Captain), going 3-4-3, allows Francis to start with Lewis Cook replacing Surman.

Begovic
Francis Cook Aké
Smith Cook Gosling Daniels
Fraser Wilson King

*I personally don’t necessarily think one of Francis or Surman should play BTW, but I just know that’s what will happen*
...can't see how Eddie can leave out Lewis Cook? I know he wanted to keep the side that beat Marseille but we will need to show some craft and energy in the centre and Lewis has more of that than Surman...it does seem sometimes that Eddie has his favs with Franno and Drew being tthe two main ones!

Looking forward to going to this game. Last season (1-1) we could/should have grabbed 3 points. WHU have brought in some good players and will only get stronger as the season goes on, so this is a good time to be playing them IMO.

...can't see how Eddie can leave out Lewis Cook? I know he wanted to keep the side that beat Marseille but we will need to show some craft and energy in the centre and Lewis has more of that than Surman...it does seem sometimes that Eddie has his favs with Franno and Drew being tthe two main ones!
God forbid leaving out both the Captain and Vice Captain

Can you imagine Sean Dyche taking over at West Ham? The sheer bitching might hit critical mass.

Yes, Wilshere probably will get outplayed against Liverpool. Because Liverpool have 10x the talent and work ethic, and West Ham are about as far away from directly competing with them over 90 minutes as Macclesfield are.

Signing a bunch of expensive Wingers, a Championship RB and a declining former England international doesn't mean they're ready to mount a Top 6 challenge, or that the owners are showing ambition; it means they're throwing money at B-list Internationals and famous names to appease the fans, and the ones that may actually be decent, like Diop, will only see West 'Am as a stepping stone to something better. I'm expecting another disappointing season for them, and maybe another riot if things get really spicy.

Think it might of been the way Cardiff like to play, the high ball, thats why he didn't play against OM, Eddie wanted to use that game as a warm up.

Think it might of been the way Cardiff like to play, the high ball, thats why he didn't play against OM, Eddie wanted to use that game as a warm up.
..I did suspect that is why Gosling was playing on Saturday....but we do lack something with Lewis out of the side

I expected Gosling to play because of the aerial and physical battle. That doesn’t explain Surman though. Surman might have a bit of height advantage but he jumps like a man wearing diving boots and tackles like Cherry Bear.

Please to god Cook comes in. We are not in a position to play without our best players. I know I wasn’t there and I know we won but is anyone seriously going to argue Cardiff were that good if any other side had been picked we would have lost?

doesn't sound like they're bitter or anything......

"The Hammers and Cherries drew both of their encounters last season, with a 1-1 draw in Stratford in January that came after the infamous 3-3 Boxing Day blockbuster on the south coast, where Bournemouth striker Callum Wilson scored an offside goal with his arm to earn a point."

sounds like someones in for a booing - think he might like that :)

doesn't sound like they're bitter or anything......

"The Hammers and Cherries drew both of their encounters last season, with a 1-1 draw in Stratford in January that came after the infamous 3-3 Boxing Day blockbuster on the south coast, where Bournemouth striker Callum Wilson scored an offside goal with his arm to earn a point."

sounds like someones in for a booing - think he might like that :)

Perhaps, the real reason they dislike Callum may be more to do with when we took them apart at Upton Park and Bournemouth's Goal Machine scored three. West Ham will not be looking forward to facing us on Saturday.

The problem with Wilshere,and I expect this is partly why Eddie signed him....he can't run.
He is ok in a midfield 3 with two grafters so he can do his thing on the ball,but ask him to track back or press high,he can't do it.

;