What a difference a year makes

Monmouthred

Star Player
A year ago, we had all the excitement of who we would bring in. The Austin thread took on Demerai Gray proportions, but none of us truly believed quite rightly, that we were in the £12-15m bracket for players.
Now we have smashed our record transfer a few times and bought 5 players in the £7m+ ish range, and are possibly on the verge of buying players at double this rate.
With the additional £40m, and the £18m or so brought in, even if we get Ibe and Cook that will still leave maybe £32m in the kitty for the two defenders that we still need, not that I am suggesting we would spend this much.
If last year was an amazing time to be a cherry, then this year has gone to another level.
I for one am even more excited about where we are as a club and my optimism for the season is growing by the day.
By the way we are 17/4 to beat Man Utd.

Ex-Joss-Man - 8/7/2016 13:25

Grumpy G - 8/7/2016 13:18

no difference to the stadium though

Yawn :wall:

Agree reference the stadium expansion, we need a legacy from our premier league days.

A legacy, the days aren't over yet, I'm enjoying our day in the sun, and thinking about the flight home impacts that enjoyment, just go with it. We'll have a new stadium soon

If we are to attract better players in the future,we need to do something about the stadium.
Would Ritchie have gone to Newcastle if we had a Bigger stadium,thus could afford more in wages?

The stadium has little impact on finances, the telly money dwarfs gate receipts, though if we do get relegated it becomes king again

That's a massive over-simplification.

If we had a stadium the size of Newcastle's what would we do with it? No way would we fill it... yet we can still afford to offer more in wages than Newcastle if we so choose.

The fact that we aren't offering players around £60k/week on 5 year contracts is a different approach than the one Newcastle are taking. They are banking they will be back in the PL inside that period whereas we are approaching it that we might not be here for all that time.

We could easily have matched Newcastle's wage offer if we had wanted to. It's the Grabban/Brighton thing all over again, only in reverse.

;