What a night for AFCB

Callum Wilson scores for England - and Kris Temple announces the goal at Wembley.

Agreed Gary... Wasn't aware KT was doing the PA at Wembley last night, but I did recognise the half time antics :)

It's been a long time since I got excited by England scoring a goal in a Friendly. I was about to call it a meaningless friendly, but I doubt right now Callum thinks it was meaningless...

A slightly proud evening...

Dunks confidence for England will get a tremendous boost if he reads comments on here.....he was selected by Southgate who also judged and picked Callum. Best to concentrate on praising Callum. Leave other clubs players alone....we have to play Brighton..what can be gained by sledging him..nothing, and if he reads our comments he might bite!

For the same reasons he left Coventry to come to AFCB.
Sure, but the good news is that last night proved that playing for AFCB will not necessarily prohibit his being selected to play for England. So that is one more thing we now have in our favour, which in the past may have been an argument against staying with us. I think Callum would like to stay here, he seems very settled and gets plenty of game time which may be harder to come by elsewhere. If the big clubs come sniffing we'll probably have to give him a pay rise but I really do think we could convince him to stay.
:contract::):wahey:
Que será, será.
:utc:

Why leave. He's playing top level football every week and can do his England future no harm at all.

I put this on another thread recently, and I do tend to agree with you... It would need to be money or a desire to play CL football.

Staying here will pay him well (I'd sooner see Defoe moved on and we pay Callum what he is worth), however, he could easily double his salary at a top 6 club... But, he absolutely will not play anywhere near as much as he does here... As long as he keeps doing what he's doing, he'll play week in week out here, get paid £50-70k pw perhaps and continue to progress in the England set up...

Leave, and he'll get richer, but his **************** will have to get used to being on the bench, playing second fiddle to the likes of Kane, Lukaku, Morata et al...

Chelsea could be attractive to him but I still question if he's 'that' good, to push into the top 6 and be a 'first on the team sheet' player...??

Time will tell

Sure, but the good news is that last night proved that playing for AFCB will not necessarily prohibit his being selected to play for England. So that is one more thing we now have in our favour, which in the past may have been an argument against staying with us. I think Callum would like to stay here, he seems very settled and gets plenty of game time which may be harder to come by elsewhere. If the big clubs come sniffing we'll probably have to give him a pay rise but I really do think we could convince him to stay.
Que será, será.

It's true that it proves he can play for England whilst at AFCB but I don't agree with the rest of it. A big club comes in for him and he's off just like when we signed him - ok maybe we're not bigger than Cov but certainly better prospects when he signed for us.

This 'getting game time here so why would he move' argument is a nonsense. Nobody would ever move.

Que será, será.

Two conflicting drivers for Callum. Firstly his top-flight career could have been over following serious injuries so a decent long term deal at another club sets him up for life regardless of more injuries. However, he needs to keep playing regularly so sitting on the bench like Loftus-Cheek will not help him at all. His finishing was dreadful in the run-in last season and such spells will be tolerated at Afcb but not at a club like Chelsea as Morata has found with pretty vocal criticism directed at him.

It's true that it proves he can play for England whilst at AFCB but I don't agree with the rest of it. A big club comes in for him and he's off just like when we signed him - ok maybe we're not bigger than Cov but certainly better prospects when he signed for us.

This 'getting game time here so why would he move' argument is a nonsense. Nobody would ever move.
If Callum goes I think it is more likely that he goes because the CLUB want him to go. If we get offered crazy money for him ( not inconceivable in the current market ) then I could see a situation arise whereby the club thank him for his contribution and "encourage" him to leave. In that situation of course he would go. But I feel that if we still want him here, it would be hard to lure him away quite frankly. In his interviews you get a real sense that he appreciates the patience shown and the help given by the club when he was at his lowest ebb. In his 50 goals for AFCB interview he stated his desire to score 100 goals for the club. I think he sees his foreseeable future here, as long as he's still wanted of course. We shall see.

Steve Cook is better than Dunk but sadly I don't see him making the England squad anytime soon, not unless there's a spate of English CB injuries.

If last night was the main course then the dessert today wasn’t bad either - in the form of another excellent David brooks display. No doubting bale’s ability at key moments but it’s brooks that provides the heartbeat of the welsh side. Such balance when running with the ball and three great crosses should have led to an opening goal for Wales.

If last night was the main course then the dessert today wasn’t bad either - in the form of another excellent David brooks display. No doubting bale’s ability at key moments but it’s brooks that provides the heartbeat of the welsh side. Such balance when running with the ball and three great crosses should have led to an opening goal for Wales.

And he was man of the Match

Dunks confidence for England will get a tremendous boost if he reads comments on here.....he was selected by Southgate who also judged and picked Callum. Best to concentrate on praising Callum. Leave other clubs players alone....we have to play Brighton..what can be gained by sledging him..nothing, and if he reads our comments he might bite!

Your right !! My god , no more slagging rivals players on account they might come onto this message board and be turned into world beaters just by our comments ..how could we have been so stupid :slap:

Your right !! My god , no more slagging rivals players on account they might come onto this message board and be turned into world beaters just by our comments ..how could we have been so stupid :slap:

It was always traditional years ago to shout abuse at wingers...as they were closest to the crowd.
I remember myself and others at the age of around 25 screaming abuse at the Brighton winger O' Sullivan at DC..he scored 10 minutes later.
In the return game at the Goldstone ground we were daft enough to target him again..he scored again. Brighton pipped us for promotion.
So I was guilty of that and didn't learn until much later.
It was the same when we played Watford, Bristol(s), Plymouth etc...always seemed to have adverse effects!
Of course it's much different now with the internet...but I think it's an age thing really.

It was always traditional years ago to shout abuse at wingers...as they were closest to the crowd.
I remember myself and others at the age of around 25 screaming abuse at the Brighton winger O' Sullivan at DC..he scored 10 minutes later.
In the return game at the Goldstone ground we were daft enough to target him again..he scored again. Brighton pipped us for promotion.
So I was guilty of that and didn't learn until much later.
It was the same when we played Watford, Bristol(s), Plymouth etc...always seemed to have adverse effects!
Of course it's much different now with the internet...but I think it's an age thing really.

Good job your staying away from matches then isn’t it ....just don’t yell at the TV during MOTD.

Did it work on our own wingers ? All I remember as a 70’s kid in the New Stand was our own lot getting abuse ... rarely scored though .

;