What does history tell us?

Garbo

UTC Legend
...if you look at the clubs who have built new stadiums since the start of The PL, more have struggled to stay there?

Swansea City
Bolton Wanderers
Wigan Athletic
Reading
Sunderland
Middlesbrough
Hull City
Derby County

we also have a few who may struggle to survive:

Brighton & Hove Albion
Cardiff City
Southampton

We may suffe rthe same fate...personally The Championship would satisfy me in a new stadium, but would we really require it then?

I know we didn't really sell out in the Championship until the smell of promotion was thick in the air, however given four or five seasons in the Prem we would attract more fans for at least a little while. The 8502 won't disappear over night, many will stick around

...if you look at the clubs who have built new stadiums since the start of The PL, more have struggled to stay there?

Swansea City
Bolton Wanderers
Wigan Athletic
Reading
Sunderland
Middlesbrough
Hull City
Derby County

Brighton & Hove Albion
Cardiff City
Southampton

We may suffe rthe same fate...personally The Championship would satisfy me in a new stadium, but would we really require it then?

We will suffer the same fate (that fate being relegation from the top flight) at some stage with or without a new stadium. That's just inevitable for any club that isn't in the big 6. It might be 2 years, or 5 years, or more. It will happen.

The real question is, what sort of club do we want to be, what position do we want to land in - when that inevitable happens? Those clubs that you name will fancy themselves able to compete for promotion back to the PL sooner or later.

Really not sure what the OP is trying to prove? Its obvious that a new stadium doesnt guarantee Premier League survival, but neither does a small one.

Fans of those clubs mentioned probably aren't resenting building bigger stadiums. You either have ambition to progress or you don't.

Swansea City
Bolton Wanderers
Wigan Athletic
Reading
Sunderland
Middlesbrough
Hull City
Derby County

Brighton & Hove Albion
Cardiff City
Southampton

The most meaningful comparison* here is Swansea, who went from 11k to 21k. In their promotion season the average attendance was 15,507. This season (back in the second tier), they sold 15,000 season tickets. I'm sure plenty of people in the area never dreamed they'd see Premier League football in Swansea. That might be what convinced them to go, but it's not what's making them stay.

That's discounting two factors that make us very different:

1 - we haven't been able to issue new season tickets to anyone since promotion

2 - even in the Championship, we could sell plenty more away tickets than we had room for

We stand a much better chance of getting 11k fans in the Championship if we provide a means for those who didn't show an interest before 2015 to actually watch a game. If we're relegated in 2022, that 10yr old kid who wanted a season ticket will be a 17yr old who isn't used to watching live football.

*The others already had what we might consider sizeable grounds and their development occurred largely as a result of the Taylor Report and subsequent demand of safer, seated stadia (much like the ground we're in today)

Derby: 18k to 33k
Boro: 26k to 34k
Sunderland: 22k to 49k
Hull: 15k to 25k
Reading: 15k to 25k

I know we didn't really sell out in the Championship until the smell of promotion was thick in the air, however given four or five seasons in the Prem we would attract more fans for at least a little while. The 8502 won't disappear over night, many will stick around
“ If we go down make sure you are true - don’t become one of the 8502 “
:utc::utc:

Swansea City
Bolton Wanderers
Wigan Athletic
Reading
Sunderland
Middlesbrough
Hull City
Derby County

Brighton & Hove Albion
Cardiff City
Southampton

You mention Brighton. As I mentioned on the club statement thread, look how long it took them to get into the Premier League since the Amex was built.

Brighton have a new large stadium, first since the days of the Goldstone, but they didn’t have a team to take them into it.

We have our smaller stadium, but we had the team to take us into the PL.

That’s what the history books will say.

Last edited:
As fans we are seeing a team and manager that strokes the ball around like Man U , Tottenham and West Ham did back when Stadiums were Football grounds. If we don't progress, Stadium or Not the PL will be the poorer....in purely FOOTBALL terms!!!!!
The comparison with Swansea....as relevant as it might seem cuts No Ice in this Sky dominated Joke!
You can Chuck in as many Arguments as you like.....one thing controls the Big Picture.......offshore Investment and Yachts for 3rd Cousins Twice Removed!!!!!! Get it ? No? ......Regroup votre Brain Cells!!!

You mention Brighton. As I mentioned on the club statement thread, look how long it took them to get into the Premier League since the Amex was built.

Brighton had a new stadium since the days of the Goldstone, but they didn’t have a team to take them into it.

We have our smaller stadium, but we had the team to take us into the PL.

That’s what the history books will say.
So, instead of just reiterating statements, what are you actually saying? Are you solely obsessed by what the history books will tell us?

So, instead of just reiterating statements, what are you actually saying? Are you solely obsessed by what the history books will tell us?

Brighton spent money on a new stadium but didn’t have the team to take them up to the PL, because they didn’t invest in the team.

Remember the jealous comments from their fans when we signed players and they didn’t.

We spent money on a team that got us into the PL in quicker time than anyone really expected. But play in a much smaller stadium.

As for the history bit, look at the title of this thread.

Brighton spent money on a new stadium but didn’t have the team to take them up to the PL, because they didn’t invest in the team.

Remember the jealous comments from their fans when we signed players and they didn’t.

We spent money on a team that got us into the PL in quicker time than anyone really expected. But play in a much smaller stadium.

As for the history bit, look at the title of this thread.
CBA...

Only people shouting are one with no season tickets .
And did not go much anyway.
Any one can go to away games spare tickets most games.
We do not need new stadium just for floating fans.

I'm alright Jack

Yeah, well bully for you, but I don't think you really recognise what a little history can actually do. Derby had the worst ever top flight season ten years ago and haven't been back since, still pull almost 30k, Leeds over 30k and it's been 15 years

We can keep these kids, we can make them ours if they can see more games. We also get their parents, most football fans (who actually attend the odd game) aren't fickle, we all got bitten at some point and have been here for life since

Ridiculously short sighted to ignore that

We may suffer the same fate...personally The Championship would satisfy me in a new stadium, but would we really require it then?

As it stands, no. We'll be back to 5k.

If plans were acted upon when we were promoted and it was built and ready for this or next season, we would have built our supporter base to at least give us more than what we had before and grown as a club.

If we go down as things are currently - the club is going nowhere but league 1/2 at best, if we survive as a club at all. They'll be literally nothing to show for it.

We need extra capacity and a stadium is a long term investment - theres no other way of logically thinking about it. Theorising about other clubs and what ifs are pointless. You commit to this or you don't.

We either grow or we effectively create the mentality around the club that we'll not do anything just in case we'll be relegated in the next 10-15 years.

Swansea City
Bolton Wanderers
Wigan Athletic
Reading
Sunderland
Middlesbrough
Hull City
Derby County

Brighton & Hove Albion
Cardiff City
Southampton

This post is bordering on retarded!

49 teams have been in the top flight, 43 have been relegated since it's formation.

8 clubs have got new grounds and been relegated, 35 didn't and got relegated anyway!

6 clubs have always been in the top flight, all of which have increased ground capacity and 4 of which have changed ground or are in the process of changing ground.

;