wiggins forced to retire

Always sad when a player has to pack it in due to a serious injury. He did really well for us in his early days. I wish him well in whatever he does in the future.

Played his part in the League Two days, no matter the circumstances of his departure and the stick that resulted, you wouldn't wish all that on him.

Hope that he finds a career to enable him to move forward....a footballers life can be cruel....Rhoys has gone the same way as Alan Connell, Ryan Garry and others before them...best of luck

He'll be on the "old boys" training staff before you can say "reunion"

Hope he gets sorted.
Although he has probably got enough in the coffers sitting on the sidelines to worry too much.

Thanks for your efforts Rhoys.
Good player when we saw him 1st time round.

A great shame for him. Most footballers are competitive and driven to succeed. Hope he can settle down into a new career that he can be successful in.

Brum fan here and we also seen the news about this and it's such a shame for the lad. As a suffering ST holder at Blues I was there on the game he picked up his injury and it looked a bad one from the first minute it happened, as it happened he was one of the best players on the pitch up until that injury. Was having a great game especially again that mob and we thought we finally had some competition for the LB spot. Wish him all the success in what he chooses to do next.

https://www.afcb.co.uk/news/first-team/in-my-own-words-rhoys-wiggins

This is what he had to say. Doesn't address the hate he got from AFCB fans - why bother I guess. I always rated him highly as a player and I think he would have stepped up like many others if he'd have still been here when Howe came back. Good luck to him.

"It’s not been easy since the injury. I’ve had three operations, along with countless injections and drainages of the knee.
A lot of people are also unaware that I had an accident after my first operation and sustained a fractured skull.
This was, and has been, the most challenging time of my life. I have not only had to deal with the injury, operations and the other freak accident, but I have also found out at the end of a lot of hard work from everyone involved that it was not meant to be, and I would have to give up on my dream once and for all."

He's certainly been through a lot over the past couple of years.

Wish him well in the future.

Brum fan here and we also seen the news about this and it's such a shame for the lad. As a suffering ST holder at Blues I was there on the game he picked up his injury and it looked a bad one from the first minute it happened, as it happened he was one of the best players on the pitch up until that injury. Was having a great game especially again that mob and we thought we finally had some competition for the LB spot. Wish him all the success in what he chooses to do next.

Were you, er, there on 25th October 2014? :sick:

You might pick up from the comments here that he wasn't always the most popular player with fans due to how he left us years ago. Ironically he left to further his career but AFCB overtook his level on their way up. He's been really unlucky and even those that didn't like him wouldn't have wished the injuries on him I'm sure.

Do you think he will get a benefit game or do they belong in the era when players didn’t earn much. Wonder if the turn out would be good if so.

Why are we feeling sorry that we turned a guy who played a big part in tanking a season for us by handing in a transfer request* in to a multi millionaire without him contributing in any way since he signed?

This is a 30 year old that will never work another day in his life if he doesn't want to. He wouldn't get out of bed for a benefit game because it would be lower than his weekly wage.

* and faking an injury?

Last edited:
Easy to slag him off but clearly a lot of things happened while Mitchell was at the club that we will not know about. I am not sure we really know the real facts about what was said or promised. Clearly he left on bad terms but not the first Afcb player to refuse to play. He was popular with his fellow players by what I can tell and no way Eddie would bring someone back who had an attitude problem. Genuinely sad when any player has to quit through injury.

Easy to slag him off but clearly a lot of things happened while Mitchell was at the club that we will not know about. I am not sure we really know the real facts about what was said or promised. Clearly he left on bad terms but not the first Afcb player to refuse to play. He was popular with his fellow players by what I can tell and no way Eddie would bring someone back who had an attitude problem. Genuinely sad when any player has to quit through injury.
Agree with above. Read his statement and you can tell he’s genuinely gutted. Regardless of what money he may have been on, it’s sad when it happens to ANY player. I wish him every success.

Agree with above. Read his statement and you can tell he’s genuinely gutted. Regardless of what money he may have been on, it’s sad when it happens to ANY player. I wish him every success.

Easy to slag him off because he's twice been a burden, once when he agitated a move away without playing a full season for us. The second time when he got a massive pay day without even kicking a ball.

I see we're resorting to the usual if in doubt blame Mitchel. At the time pretty sure that the club said that for the right price he would be able to go at the end of the season but he instead decided to unsettle the team. He was never going to unsettle this team because he struggled to get games in the Championship, minimal chance in our squad and wouldn't be able to agitate another move for better money. He was destined for League One when his contract ran out.

How many retirement statements have you read which say "never really liked it here but at least I've made a mint"? I can't think of a single example. What would be gained by 'printing' anything other than the "I'm forced to retire. I'm sad. Thanks to the team and fans for their support"?

Lets be honest, he won't be missed and now we've freed up a few million a year to spend on someone who might stand a chance at being better than 4th (or 5th/6th) choice left back.

Easy to slag him off because he's twice been a burden, once when he agitated a move away without playing a full season for us. The second time when he got a massive pay day without even kicking a ball.

I see we're resorting to the usual if in doubt blame Mitchel. At the time pretty sure that the club said that for the right price he would be able to go at the end of the season but he instead decided to unsettle the team. He was never going to unsettle this team because he struggled to get games in the Championship, minimal chance in our squad and wouldn't be able to agitate another move for better money. He was destined for League One when his contract ran out.

How many retirement statements have you read which say "never really liked it here but at least I've made a mint"? I can't think of a single example. What would be gained by 'printing' anything other than the "I'm forced to retire. I'm sad. Thanks to the team and fans for their support"?

Lets be honest, he won't be missed and now we've freed up a few million a year to spend on someone who might stand a chance at being better than 4th (or 5th/6th) choice left back.
Depends what the conversation actually was. Neither of us know.

Blimey! How much do you think he was on? Based on the fact he was signed in full knowledge he would be a backup player and only every used in an emergency I'm going to hazard a guess that he was on no more than £500k/year.

A ridiculous wage in the lives of normal people but in the realms of the top two tiers of English football that would be a completely 'meh' amount.

I'm sad that anyone's career is cut short, even if they've acted a bit of a **************** at times. Nothing wrong with showing a bit of compassion to someone that has seen their dream job cut short.

He was bought in on the relative cheap because of the Mings injury and, should anything have happened to Daniels then we would have had an option fit and available that season. Luckily we didn't need him but it was sound planning. Just look how limited our options were this season without proper RB cover for Adam Smith.

So he did the job he was brought in to do, even if that job was sit around in the background for emergencies and don't agitate.

Unlikely the conversation was anything other than at least see one season out before openly courting a transfer.

Maybe. Or maybe he took a lower salary to sign for Eddie and then when Eddie left he wanted to earn the higher salary he thought he was worth and he gave up to sign for Afcb. Perhaps he didn’t like the circumstances of eddie’s deoarture.

Who knows. Maybe just greedy. Either way, my point was that I feel sympathy for the guy for having his career ended prematurely in contrast to some who seem to be happy this has happened.

;