Wilson and King

King for me I think is the better all round player. Wilson probably the stronger finisher though. Don’t forget King is playing just behind where he probably isn’t as strong. We improved last season when Wilson got injured and king went up top.

Redpost - 21/11/2017 18:00

As a matter of interest was King bought to partner Wilson?

After his signing King walked straight into the side at the expense of Kermorgant.

King did not have to wait to learn the "Bournemouth way" and partnered Wilson...

...at times early on he looked terrible, but improved and developed remarkably over the course of his first season under Howe.

billythekid - 21/11/2017 17:35

AFCB+TFC - 21/11/2017 17:19

Yea I can certainly see both sides of the argument. One things for sure though- that is one lethal strike partnership if they continue to click. infact, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better duo that isn't at a big club already in all of Europe.

They look like they could form a good partnership, like Phil Boyer and Ted MacDougall did back in the 1970's, though in a lower league.

https://gameofthepeople.com/2014/12/02/great-partnerships-macdougall-and-boyer-brothers-in-boots/

Interesting article, certainly seems llike $20 000 well spent! Must be cool to have seen the club and game in general grow so much and experience it across 4 different levels of competetion over the years Billy.

I hope I'm as sharp as you still are when I get to your age mate! Thanks for doing the pre-game write ups, always sets the scene well :beer2:

I like the idea of King feeding Wilson, using his pace and skill. I don't doubt that King will get goals but if Saturday's form is anything to go by I'd pick Wilson in the long term. Keeping them together for the rest of the season is vital.

I remember Gary Neville saying when King was in the Man Utd youth team, they felt if he had more self belief he could go on and me one of the best players in the world.

Obviously he’s not reached that level but I do think there is more to come from him, especially working with Eddie. Clearly there is more to come from Wilson, but I don’t think he overall has the same potential raw talent.

Thanks AFCB+TFC

Think it gives you a better overall view of football through the leagues than a fan of a Premier League team who have only been in the top flight.

Was at the Manchester United game in the 6th round of the FA Cup in 1957 when we had our biggest gate ever (not sure it will it be beaten).

Will never forget the Winter Gardens meeting/s and the problems our club faced. Buckets handed round in a full theatre. This was just the beginning of the problems to come later.

http://buzz.bournemouth.ac.uk/2017/01/afc-bournemouth-20-years-on-from-bournemouth-winter-gardens-collection/

http://www.bournemouth.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=105192

Interesting discussion. Love the different views which really make you think. Firstly there’s not much in it! I agree with those saying King the better player, Wilson the better finisher.

For me...pure potential...it’s King. The reason....I’ve seen him score and terrorise the very best in this division and I’ve yet to see Wilson do that. It will be interesting to see if he does when we play those teams but until that moment, King for me.

I also agree with those that say King hasn’t hit those heights this year but it doesn’t change his potential.

There are a couple of goals that stick in my mind from the two of them: Wilson's back heel at home against WBA when I thought we were never going to break them down and King's goal against Newcastle when they went down, I thought he'd left it too late but he hammered it in.

billythekid - 21/11/2017 19:15

Going wildly off topic, but a few days later this infamous quote followed...

http://www.bournemouth.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=105852

billythekid - 21/11/2017 19:15

Thanks AFCB+TFC

Think it gives you a better overall view of football through the leagues than a fan of a Premier League team who have only been in the top flight.

Was at the Manchester United game in the 6th round of the FA Cup in 1957 when we had our biggest gate ever (not sure it will it be beaten).

Will never forget the Winter Gardens meeting/s and the problems our club faced. Buckets handed round in a full theatre. This was just the beginning of the problems to come later.

http://buzz.bournemouth.ac.uk/2017/01/afc-bournemouth-20-years-on-from-bournemouth-winter-gardens-collection/

I'm sure it does Billy! I remember hearing about the bucket collecting from the NBC documentary, but it never mentioned fans were selling a AFCB labelled beer, impressive the lengths you guys went through to save the club.

Hopefully we break that attendance record in the league cup this year but the draw did us no favours!

DJ - 21/11/2017 18:09

Redpost - 21/11/2017 18:00

As a matter of interest was King bought to partner Wilson?

After his signing King walked straight into the side at the expense of Kermorgant.

King did not have to wait to learn the "Bournemouth way" and partnered Wilson...

...at times early on he looked terrible, but improved and developed remarkably over the course of his first season under Howe.

That's a very very good point .We have all had our moments of disbelieve with Eddie and his reluctance to bring players straight in (learn the Bournemouth way )Yann and Ake being two prime examples .Then you remember some of the train wreck performances from King last season and perhaps Ibe and realize he may actually be on to something .

Hands up - when King first played for us he didn't look good enough for the Championship.

A bit like Wee Man, a lot of work went on behind the scenes to make him the player he is now

His coming of age though was when everyone got injured or dropped and we played him as the furthest forward on his own. His best performances have been in that position or one of a central two...like with Afobe second half of last season.

When playing behind Wilson or Defoe he struggles a little as he is not a natural link player imo.

Neil Dawson - 21/11/2017 19:25

Interesting discussion. Love the different views which really make you think. Firstly there’s not much in it! I agree with those saying King the better player, Wilson the better finisher.

For me...pure potential...it’s King. The reason....I’ve seen him score and terrorise the very best in this division and I’ve yet to see Wilson do that. It will be interesting to see if he does when we play those teams but until that moment, King for me.

I also agree with those that say King hasn’t hit those heights this year but it doesn’t change his potential.

Think I'm with you Neil.

My lad loves Wilson because he sees him as an out and out goalscorer whose pace and strength terrifies defenders. For me it's King at the moment because of his all round game, he has by far the better first touch which is vital if you want to go on to be a great rather than a good player at the top level.

I thought it looked like just the sort of goal that King was scoring when partnered with Afobe!

It's a really good discussion but misses the way that our forwards are usually asked to,play, with one high and the second deeper. I don't have any stats but in my observation
It's the second striker arriving from deep who converts the majority of chances, with the first having taken away the defence.

In that system it's going only be meaningless fun comparing Wilson and King when playing together, as they have likely been given different tasks.

I'm actually really excited that in Wilson/King/Afobe/Defoe/mousett we have strength in depth and possibly different pairings to unlock different defences ie

Wilson/King looks fantastic prospect from last week. King playing high and Wilson deep? I can't really remember but when Josh first came here was that the other way about?

Wilson/Afobe also seemed to have a decent understanding from the cup game. What was odd with that was that Wilson was playing the higher line and Afobe was deep.
King/Afobe always seemed to play Afobe high and King sat deep.

I don't think that either Defoe or Mousett fit that system but offer something else.

At the moment Josh edges it for me as the higher potential, with ability to win the ball and also probably a better touch.

It's a real tricky one. I think the team is better with Wilson in it at the moment, though the real test will be when we play the "top" sides. It does look like he's getting back to his best, though, which is great news as I was worried the double injury was going to curtail his ability, particularly after how he looked when he came back last time. Different player this time around.

The thing is with King is that he looks at his best in Wilson's position. Luckily he's got more of an all round game so will get game time at number 10 or on the wing whereas Wilson wouldn't, but if I were King I'd probably be a tad irked at not being able to play in my best position after basically proving myself among the best in the division last season.

So what am I actually saying? I think King has to be played up top to meet his full potential but he probably won't unless Callum is injured because Callum will knock in the goals.

;