Wilson and King

Neil Dawson - 21/11/2017 19:25

Interesting discussion. Love the different views which really make you think. Firstly there’s not much in it! I agree with those saying King the better player, Wilson the better finisher.

For me...pure potential...it’s King. The reason....I’ve seen him score and terrorise the very best in this division and I’ve yet to see Wilson do that. It will be interesting to see if he does when we play those teams but until that moment, King for me.

I also agree with those that say King hasn’t hit those heights this year but it doesn’t change his potential.

What Neil said and I would add that I think King has the quick footballing brain that unlocks defences with tricky footwork that sometimes has us all watching in awe. Unfortunately he does have a few 6/10 performances in him but King must be one of the first names on the team sheet along with Francis & Surman ;-)

Love this partnership though, could be immense long term. Or at least until January if it keeps going like this.

Up to the end of January and Callum Wilson's last game because of his injury he was leading scorer on 6 goals.Josh King had scored 4 in the same period.

This was when Josh seized his chance and in the next 5 games he scored 7 goals including a hat-trick against West Ham.

Neil Dawson - 22/11/2017 07:29

When playing behind Wilson or Defoe he struggles a little as he is not a natural link player imo.

I don't think Eddie sees Josh as a link man in this partnership in the way you describe as it seems to me that we are watching a team in the throes of another tactical evolution.

It looks to me as though they are operating as a two pointed fork both given the responsibility of getting forward at pace from deep either with the ball at their feet or in anticipation of a long ball from deep aimed at the corner of the penalty box - the sort of pass that Harry Arter played a lot in the Championship winning season when he hit the ball quickly from the half way line without even looking up to see if anyone was there and like the one that Franno played up for Josh in the first half on Saturday.
As one charges forward with the ball or to collect a long ball, his partner has been told to make up ground fast on the opposite side to give the player with the ball the option to shoot or square it. We saw this on Saturday early in the first half when Callum was through on the left but got caught in two minds and the ball was blocked for a corner. with Josh backing up at full pelt to his right.

They must have been working hard on this tactic, and if it is successful it will stop our opponents from pushing up high to stop us playing out from the back, which will give our midfield a bit more space to work the ball forward through the middle of the pitch as an alternative. We can also afford to defend a bit more solidly like we have been doing recently as we can sit back tighter knowing that there are two pacey outlets ahead to hit with long balls.

If the team can get this right it seems to me that we are in for a lot more excitement than we have had so far this season, and we shall soon be hopefully scaring opposition defences to death again at the prospect of those two strong and quick good finishers racing at them.

billythekid - 22/11/2017 10:00

Up to the end of January and Callum Wilson's last game because of his injury he was leading scorer on 6 goals.Josh King had scored 4 in the same period.

This was when Josh seized his chance and in the next 5 games he scored 7 goals including a hat-trick against West Ham.
Although if I remember right, most of Wilson's goals last season were from the penalty spot. He was actually pretty disappointing in open play.

AFCB Lost in Brum - 22/11/2017 03:37

Hands up - when King first played for us he didn't look good enough for the Championship.

A bit like Wee Man, a lot of work went on behind the scenes to make him the player he is now

This has been said before. Is it really only me that thought Ryan was making a decent contribution from the bench in LgOne and the Championship? Obviously wasn't ready for the Premier League, but that was as much about age and confidence. I know his diet and fitness were atrocious when he joined it's been documented but he was obviously a decent player

canadiancherry - 22/11/2017 12:09

billythekid - 22/11/2017 10:00

Although if I remember right, most of Wilson's goals last season were from the penalty spot. He was actually pretty disappointing in open play.

3 from the spot.

He does look a much faster and fitter player this season, hope that continues.

Wilson himself said how he didn't do his rehab right after the first op. Diet in particular he mentioned. Sounds like he has learnt the second time round. Looks a lot fitter than last time

The really exciting thing is that we actually have a lot of players who, on their day, can play with the best in the Prem. So far, consistency has been the biggest lack but if that ever gets figured out, look out.

Can we please break that partnership up today. We are falling for the same trap we did last season when they played together we struggled, it was only when Wilson got injured and king went up top that we improved.

King isn’t as effective in the number 10 role and they are too similar, for me I think we need Afobe to add something different and help the balance.

I think we either need a five man midfield with King wide right or a five man midfield with King up front on his own.

Dreaming of a time when we can have Stanislas, King and Wilson in a three...Stanislas and King free to roam in possession.

Neil Dawson - 3/12/2017 10:27

Agree...and that way Eddie can play Cook, Surman and Arter if he wants.

That would be my first choice XI with a flat back four.

Wouldn't work for every game admittedly. I'd go for it today though.

Just as a matter of interest, Jermain Defoe likes scoring on the South Coast.

This season he scored against Brighton.

Last season he scored against us and Saints.

Season before he scored again against Saints.

;