Wilson in the England Squad.

Just over 6 years ago he was on loan at Tamworth and before that Kettering from his club Coventry.

In 2014-15 he joined our club from Coventry. His goals that season helped fire us up into the Premier League.

First season in the Premier League was the start of Callum’s injury problems and he missed most of that season, coming back just before the end of it.

He started the 2016-17 up until the end of January, when again injuries forced him out.

Back again in October 2017 and fast forward to November 15th at Wembley, where he started for England and scored on his debut.

So in those 6 years he has come from playing in the non league to representing his country, having two bad injuries on the way.

Well done Callum.

Now, really. One hastily written, one line comment on his first half performance, that was OTT because of how nervous I was FOR HIM to make his England debut, versus THAT WHOLE thread? That hurts, man.

I didn't say the whole thread....I said the initial post ;-)

Still don't think he looked out of his depth at any moment though. He was bound to start quietly, it would always take him or any new player some moments to adjust. I thought he was 6/10 in the first half, 7/10 in the second.

I didn't say the whole thread....I said the initial post ;-)

Still don't think he looked out of his depth at any moment though. He was bound to start quietly, it would always take him or any new player some moments to adjust. I thought he was 6/10 in the first half, 7/10 in the second.

He wasn’t out of his depth, I’m just stupid.

I’d give him 5/10 for the first half and 8/10 second half. He made so many good runs in the second half that were completely ignored until Rooney came on.

People just gave an honest opinion.
1st half he struggled a bit. FACT! IMO
2nd half he was excellent. FACT!

Who said he was out of his depth?
He'll be Plan B on Sunday with that showing.

Now Al...you're confusing FACT! with OPINION....not for the first time i might add....FACT!!!!

I personally thought that Callum led the line superbly in the first half....there you see how it's done Al....;)

People just gave an honest opinion.
1st half he struggled a bit. FACT!
2nd half he was excellent. FACT!

Who said he was out of his depth?
He'll be Plan B on Sunday with that showing.

I don’t think he struggled in the first half. He made a number of decent runs that weren’t picked up. Unfortunately when you play Burnley and Brighton centre halves then slow passing around the back is what can happen and this doesn’t suit Callum who is trying to play on the front front. Could have got a penalty, his challenge helped set up winks to pass for the second goal and created a shot on the turn. Should have done with the first chance he had admittedly.

I don’t think he struggled in the first half. He made a number of decent runs that weren’t picked up. Unfortunately when you play Burnley and Brighton centre halves then slow passing around the back is what can happen and this doesn’t suit Callum who is trying to play on the front front. Could have got a penalty, his challenge helped set up winks to pass for the second goal and created a shot on the turn. Should have done with the first chance he had admittedly.
Agree. I thought Sancho was a bloody nightmare for Callum to link up with in any way shape or form. So frustrating for a forward looking to run into space. When we were breaking forward and Sancho got the ball, after about three steps forward he would invariably stop dead, take on two or three opposition players, show some of his tricks and then pass the ball backwards or sideways. He never looked to play the quick ball forwards which somebody like Callum was positioning himself for. The guy took all the pace out of our counter attacks. He seemed more intent on showing what he could do than actually helping the team to win the game. He infuriated me every time he got the ball. Yes, you have skills, we get it, now look for an incisive pass you muppet ! Urgh !

Callum is always likely to score late on even when he seems off form and missing earlier easy ones....he doesn't allow himself to let his head drop any time in the 90 minutes...that could be an ' Eddie thing' drummed into him! Quite an unusual player in that respect...always looks happy!
Some debut ! ..not having played with any of the others before as far as I know.

Could hardly have been a better debut. I guess if he'd scored with his first chance, yes, but as a debutant he had a lot to get acclimatised to during that phase of the game, so hardly surprising he wasn't quite at the races when the chance came. As others have mentioned, he improved in the second half as he got used to his teammates and they got used to looking for him in the right positions. Hard for the interplay forward/rest of team to click in one game of football but the improvement was there to see as the game went on. I'm sure Gareth won't be disappointed with what he saw of Callum and Callum did all that could reasonably be asked of him in that situation.

Agree. I thought Sancho was a bloody nightmare for Callum to link up with in any way shape or form. So frustrating for a forward looking to run into space. When we were breaking forward and Sancho got the ball, after about three steps forward he would invariably stop dead, take on two or three opposition players, show some of his tricks and then pass the ball backwards or sideways. He never looked to play the quick ball forwards which somebody like Callum was positioning himself for. The guy took all the pace out of our counter attacks. He seemed more intent on showing what he could do than actually helping the team to win the game. He infuriated me every time he got the ball. Yes, you have skills, we get it, now look for an incisive pass you muppet ! Urgh !

I thought Sancho looked like a superstar

Sounds a bit like Jordan Ibe !!!!!!!!!!!............................

Sounds a bit like Jordan Ibe !!!!!!!!!!!............................

Absolutely. As Gazzyb states, Callum likes the early ball whereas both sancho and Ibe both like to control the ball and beat a man. I think sancho has the potential to become a real star for England though on the limited amount I have seen.

The Vardy plan B squad spot is up for grabs, why not Wilson? He is playing at the top level and is more rounded than players like Rashford or Welbeck who could “do a job” at #9 but not long term. I don’t expect him to oust Kane but as an option? Sure. And let’s also point out that he met up with the squad about 48 hours before the match. He will need a little more time to fully integrate with the guys who’ve been around the squad for years

And to add: unlike rashford and welbeck and others he is playing every week

The Vardy plan B squad spot is up for grabs, why not Wilson? He is playing at the top level and is more rounded than players like Rashford or Welbeck who could “do a job” at #9 but not long term. I don’t expect him to oust Kane but as an option? Sure. And let’s also point out that he met up with the squad about 48 hours before the match. He will need a little more time to fully integrate with the guys who’ve been around the squad for years

And to add: unlike rashford and welbeck and others he is playing every week
Callum certainly has attributes which some of the other forwards do not have. Apart from Kane we tend to have technically gifted but rather "lightweight" forwards in the squad. Callum being strong, holding the ball up and then releasing it for Kane to smash home could be a useful option if we have to start playing some longer balls up front. Several times last night Callum chested down some tricky long balls, got the ball under his control and shielded it before playing a pass. If Kane is playing and running into areas where Callum can put the pass, they could prove to be a very good partnership. We also know that Callum has the energy to run for 90 minutes, which is another thing in his favour.

Last edited:
A fact based story. Unusual for the British tabloids but I seem to recall there was cctv footage or something of him going in to the knocking shop where said granny was working.

I thought it had been proved that the granny was actually the madam, and not actually "servicing the clients"?

I'm going to rain on the party! Anyone even slightly worried about the success of AFCB lately? Definitely above the radar now...

I'm just nervous thats all...
It's definitely a new situation for us in the Premier League. The vultures will be circling, looking to cherry pick the ripest Cherries :eek!: We haven't really had to be this worried since the bad old days when any decent player we had was sold for five quid and a packet of Frazzles because we needed the money. Let's hope the board continues to back Eddie and we don't get forced into selling any players we'd prefer to keep. The January and Summer windows will give us an indication of what the club's medium term intentions are I guess.

I also preferred the last couple of seasons, where we were successful enough to be quite satisfied in ourselves but not successful enough to be on any big club's radar.

But hey, we can't change what happens either way, so best to put those worries in a drawer somewhere and enjoy our success while we can.
:utc:

;