Wycombe - The Verdict

4 clean sheets in a row...

December 2012 beat Colchester 1-0, Yeovil and Crawley both 3-0 and then 0-0 at Brentford on New Year’s Day. Would have been 5 but for a rainstorm vs Swindon when conditions set up a late equaliser.

March 2014... beat Doncaster 5-0 (yann!!) before 1-0 wins at Blackpool and Blackburn and a 0-0 with Middlesbrough. Then lost 1-0 to Charlton!

Well all I can say is that watching live football again is a million times better than watching on TV. It may not have been the greatest game but I was there.:utc:
And no VAR - wonderful.
Great atmosphere you all generated and your noise definitely gave the players a boost when needed. The fans really are the twelfth man ! I think maybe they had to be missing for a while before we could all really appreciate that !

Tbh that performance was a bit embarrassing. I get that every game is going to be a battle in the championship, but we were hanging on for dear life against a ten man mid table league one side. We won because of Begovic basically. Surridge was good when he came on, aside from that no outfield player had a great game. And WTF is Stanislas doing at the end? What a w****r.

that comment's a bit embarrassing, tbh....

Tbh that performance was a bit embarrassing. I get that every game is going to be a battle in the championship, but we were hanging on for dear life against a ten man mid table league one side. We won because of Begovic basically. Surridge was good when he came on, aside from that no outfield player had a great game. And WTF is Stanislas doing at the end? What a w****r.
Oh for goodness sake we weren’t hanging for dear life, get a grip man.

However your final comment beggars belief...you know nothing about the incident and yet you elect to insult one of the best players of the season so far. Quite extraordinary.

4 clean sheets in a row...

December 2012 beat Colchester 1-0, Yeovil and Crawley both 3-0 and then 0-0 at Brentford on New Year’s Day. Would have been 5 but for a rainstorm vs Swindon when conditions set up a late equaliser.

March 2014... beat Doncaster 5-0 (yann!!) before 1-0 wins at Blackpool and Blackburn and a 0-0 with Middlesbrough. Then lost 1-0 to Charlton!

Was that the Swindon game where we gave them the South end as well as the normal away end? Smaller South end back then though obviously.

Something else I appreciated was that once we got the goal we did not change our approach to the game. We kept attacking and pushing for a second goal. In the past we would have inevitably tried to just hang on to what we had which maybe 50% of the time might have ended well.
Tonight the players did not go defensive once we got ahead, they just carried on playing as if it were still 0-0. This made the last 20 minutes a lot less stressful for me tbh. But above all it was refreshing to see that the players mentality was not changed by the breakthrough goal.

Last edited:
Was that the Swindon game where we gave them the South end as well as the normal away end? Smaller South end back then though obviously.

I can’t remember tbh - I do remember thinking it was going to be called off at half time given the torrential rain but somehow it continued - recall David James sliding in the wet as the ball held up and the mistake set up an undeserved equaliser.

If we refer to Wycombe as a "League 1' side...
......then if we get promoted we can expect to be referred to, by say Wolves or Saints fans, as a ' championship' side....is that how it works ?

If only. Seem to recall being told we should go back to League Two 'where we belong'. League One if they knew their history.

Exactly, they’re in this league on merit. Some people seem very arrogant considering what we’ve been doing over the last seven years

They're in this League courtesy of an unfair promotion via PPG, and I shall be delighted if they go back to League One, 'where they belong'.

Nothing personal against Wycombe. Feel exactly the same about Coventry, Rotherham, Swindon, Plymouth Argyle, Crewe Alexandra, Northampton, Barrow, Harrogate, King’s Lynn, Altrincham, Wealdstone and Weymouth!

Not sure how to feel about this game. On the one hand these are the games that we need to win. A team comes to frustrate, we’ve seen well organized teams nullify. We got three points.
But we showed the inconsistency that has dogged the season so far. Not necessarily in results but performances. No doubt we should beat most teams in this league but too often we are relying on a slither of individual brilliance or a slick one two. Is that how it should be? The season we got promoted to the prem there was an inevitability to every game. Go behind, no problem, we would score more goals. I always felt we would win.
This team is different, not only that I’m not confident that we’ll score but also I feel we are going to concede.
All the attacking freedom with the flicks and tricks is nice to watch but more often than not it doesn’t break down a stubborn defense.

still. Can’t argue with top of the table with a by far superior goal difference at this stage of the season. I’m really hoping that we can pull far ahead of the chasing pack. Let them fight among themselves.

Really??

Hardly hanging on for dear life

Hardly a mid table league one side, don’t be so arrogant and dismissive. Wycombe set up well, they have a game plan and they are proving difficult to beat (except at Blackburn).

Have some respect for a side batting above their average, we’ve been there.....
Exactly. Its this sense of entitlement we all detested, when we first came into the championship from the bigger clubs, and then again in the PL.

Oh the irony.

Lewis Cook was magnificent last night as well, so to say no outfield player had a great game, is again his typical over reaction.

We were solid had plenty of chances, and eventually took one Seen that game 100s of times over the years,and often it has ended 0-1 or 0-0. A very good 3 points, 10 points from 4 games and no goals conceeded in that time. Hardly embarrassing!

that comment's a bit embarrassing, tbh....
Couldn't agree more.

It's a 1-0 win where we could easily have had more with some better decision-making. Defence put in a shift and I thought Cooks, Smith, Jeff and at times Brooks and Stan all played well. To call that 'embarassing' is the kind of entitled nonsense you hear from Man United or Liverpool fans when they don't win 5-0.

Not sure how to feel about this game. On the one hand these are the games that we need to win. A team comes to frustrate, we’ve seen well organized teams nullify. We got three points.
But we showed the inconsistency that has dogged the season so far. Not necessarily in results but performances. No doubt we should beat most teams in this league but too often we are relying on a slither of individual brilliance or a slick one two. Is that how it should be? The season we got promoted to the prem there was an inevitability to every game. Go behind, no problem, we would score more goals. I always felt we would win.
This team is different, not only that I’m not confident that we’ll score but also I feel we are going to concede.
All the attacking freedom with the flicks and tricks is nice to watch but more often than not it doesn’t break down a stubborn defense.

still. Can’t argue with top of the table with a by far superior goal difference at this stage of the season. I’m really hoping that we can pull far ahead of the chasing pack. Let them fight among themselves.
I get what you are saying but when you compare to the championship winning season we are currently just one point worse off than that season. Don't forget as well that in that season we were dire in February, with a run of 3 draws (all at home) and 2 away defeats. It wasn't all plain sailing. This season is like no other in how the games are coming so quick. there is hardly time for proper training and recuperation, its a survival of the fittest and I think come March and April its fittest squad wins it.

If only. Seem to recall being told we should go back to League Two 'where we belong'. League One if they knew their history.

They're in this League courtesy of an unfair promotion via PPG, and I shall be delighted if they go back to League One, 'where they belong'.

Nothing personal against Wycombe. Feel exactly the same about Coventry, Rotherham, Swindon, Plymouth Argyle, Crewe Alexandra, Northampton, Barrow, Harrogate, King’s Lynn, Altrincham, Wealdstone and Weymouth!

And I/we can't blame the Chinese Covid bug..I've already been classed as raving racist due to that !

And...Those clubs didn't Promote themselves did they...they just played their games...and people in high places decided their fate !

Coventry!! I charitably put that down to a slight oversite.

;