Yeovil Town v AFC Bournemouth- FA Cup Third Round

billythekid

UTC Legend
The Cherries Visit Yeovil The Home Of The Giant Killers

With the Cherries last League game against Peterborough United on Monday evening being postponed due to injuries and COVID in our camp, they are hoping their 3rd Round away tie of the FA Cup against Yeovil Town (the Glovers) of the National League on Saturday 8th January at 5.45 pm goes ahead. Yeovil Town have/had a reputation of being a Giant Killing side in the FA Cup.

Our former manager, Alec Stock was the player manager of Yeovil Town in the Southern League in the 1948-49 season when they became Giant Killers in the FA Cup by beating Division 1 side Sunderland 2-1 in the 4th round on the Huish Park pitch with the famous slope. Stock also scored the opening goal. They were drawn away to Manchester United in the 5th round at Maine Road, City’s ground. United were sharing with City due to Old Trafford being damaged by a bomb during the Blitz in the Second World War. It was a bad result for Yeovil Town losing 8-0. The win against Sunderland was Yeovil Town’s best Giant Killing performance in this competition, they have had a few scalps in the past.

The present Glovers manager is Darren Sarll, he has been their manager since June 2019, he was previously at Stevenage. On their way to this 3rd round tie Yeovil Town met Weymouth in the 4th qualifying round and after a 1-1 draw at home, they beat Weymouth in the away replay after the game ended again 1-1, on penalties. In the 1st round they were away to Yate and beat them convincingly 0-5. The second round they were home to Sarll’s old club Stevenage and won 1-0.

The last time AFCB visited Yeovil, was in April of the 2013-14 season, the game ended in a 1-1 draw. Kieffer Moore opened the scoring for Yeovil but Ryan Fraser equalised for AFCB in the second half.

AFCB have never played a FA Cup game away at Yeovil before, but the two teams have met in this cup competition twice at Dean Court. First time back in the 1960-61 season with the Cherries winning 3-1 and the second time was a 0-1 defeat in the 1970-71 season.
In all our games against Yeovil Town, AFCB have W 10, D 5, L 4.

Yeovil Town Team News
Their goalkeeper Grant Smith is suspended. Captain Luke Wilkinson is a doubt because of COVID. They have brought in Dillon Barnes a goalkeeper on a short loan from QPR.

Yeovil Town Player To Watch
Joe Quigley (who started his career at Dean Court) has just come back after a month out injured, he is the leading scorer with 6 goals.

AFCB Team News
Apart from the injuries we know about and our game against Peterborough United being postponed because of injuries and COVID cases in the Cherries camp, no further updates have been given as to who is available for our next game if it goes ahead.

AFCB Player To Watch
Difficult to say at this point as we don’t know who will be available. But there may be one or two new signings making their debut.

Obviously very difficult to predict a team as we don’t know the full COVID/injury situation but I’m going to try anyway:

Nyland
Laird
Hill
Mepham
Davis
Pearson
Kilkenny
Rogers
Brady
Marcondes
Lowe

Ibsen Rossi
Moriah-Welsh
Christie
Stacey
Cook
Saydee
Dennis

Obviously very difficult to predict a team as we don’t know the full COVID/injury situation but I’m going to try anyway:

Nyland
Laird
Hill
Mepham
Davis
Pearson
Kilkenny
Rogers
Brady
Marcondes
Lowe

Ibsen Rossi
Moriah-Welsh
Christie
Stacey
Cook
Saydee
Dennis

Why no top - scorer Solanke or top shot - stopper Travers....if they are free of Covid ?

I'm assuming we would like to progress in the Cup.. maybe get to the last stages for once !

I watched Yeovil play Notts County earlier in the season, I have to be honest, they were so poor that I’m not sure there is any team we could possibly put out that could not get the win. Their main striker Quigly can barely even move he’s so immobile.

I watched Yeovil play Notts County earlier in the season, I have to be honest, they were so poor that I’m not sure there is any team we could possibly put out that could not get the win. Their main striker Quigly can barely even move he’s so immobile.
Yeah that’s what the cup is all about being beat by a load of donkeys…so penalties then!

Why no top - scorer Solanke or top shot - stopper Travers....if they are free of Covid ?

I'm assuming we would like to progress in the Cup.. maybe get to the last stages for once !
Sad state of the FA cup now, it's just not got the importance it used to have for clubs. I know I've got very little interest once we've gone out, used to love the cup when I was younger. If resting some of our big hitters means they're ok for an important league game, that'll be the focus. Does give fringe players a chance which is a positive.

Kris Temple has already confirmed there will be wholesale changes and there is no way I would want to risk Solanke, Kelly, Cahill or Lerma in this match tbh.

This is the FA Cup ffs - The English FA Cup..the greatest sporting competition ever contested Worldwide.
I rather Win it than get promoted to the poxy PL !
How can anyone be a proper Boscombe supporter and not be interested in the FA Cup ? Jesus Christ !

The big test is whether Scott can put out an alternative 11 that don't look like a team of strangers when they play,Eddie seemed to struggle with this.
Yes, this. And whilst I do fully expect a bit of a rag-tag team of backup players and youngsters, I hope they at least look like they care and want to stake a claim for the shirt.

It always brings back to mind that Millwall game, where the side only got battered, not only looked like they'd never met each other before, but hardly even seemed bothered about playing the game.

Former AFCB youth player. They've also got Matt Worthington who played for us in the PL against Leicester.

;