You never win anything with kids - discuss

Sorry Roger

Fans' Favourite
Ake - 20
Mousset - 20
Ibe - 20
Lewis Cook - 19
Hyndman - 20

There is a clear strategy here. IMHO it could turn out to be utterly fantastic or a complete disaster. Hang on to your hats.

Sorry Roger - 7/7/2016 23:02

Ake - 20
Mousset - 20
Ibe - 20
Lewis Cook - 19
Hyndman - 20

There is a clear strategy here. IMHO it could turn out to be utterly fantastic or a complete disaster. Hang on to your hats.

Two of those players are yet to sign............but yes take your point

Not quite the same but Germany won the World Cup two years ago after building a young side. So with our older players they will be a good mix in the PL.

Thomas Muller, Mario Gotze, Toni Kroos, Mesut Ozil and Andre Schurrle all still under 25 and have plenty left to give on the international stage

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/worldcup2014/article-2691435/Germany-dominate-decade-World-Cup-win-just-start-golden-period-Joachim-Lows-young-guns.html#ixzz4Dlm89BQB
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

SlowDownDerek - 7/7/2016 23:07

It's a fair point. Especially when we've lost such a great captain.

We didnt have him most of the season though?

Francis, Daniels, Cook, Pugh, Arter, Surman...all been along the long road and very experienced.

billythekid - 8/7/2016 00:48

Not quite the same but Germany won the World Cup two years ago after building a young side. So with our older players they will be a good mix in the PL.

Thomas Muller, Mario Gotze, Toni Kroos, Mesut Ozil and Andre Schurrle all still under 25 and have plenty left to give on the international stage

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/worldcup2014/article-2691435/Germany-dominate-decade-World-Cup-win-just-start-golden-period-Joachim-Lows-young-guns.html#ixzz4Dlm89BQB

Ozil is 27?

Druss_the_Legend - 8/7/2016 06:41

Francis, Daniels, Cook, Pugh, Arter, Surman...all been along the long road and very experienced.

Agreed.

Though of all those mentioned, I don't regard any of them as great leaders - in terms of "picking the team up and dragging them with you to get a result type" of way.

That is what we lacked last season and still lack now.

The Alchemist - 8/7/2016 07:46

Druss_the_Legend - 8/7/2016 06:41

Agreed.

Though of all those mentioned, I don't regard any of them as great leaders - in terms of "picking the team up and dragging them with you to get a result type" of way.

That is what we lacked last season and still lack now.

I can see where you are coming from, but I think Francis was actually better at that than Elphick. I think Francis as captain showed in the results as well?

I think Harry will be a great captain too.

But we will miss Ritchies aggression on the pitch.

The young signings is a strategy that makes a lot of sense. We're at an inherent disadvantage to the clubs with massive academies due to the limitation of 25 players over 21. This gives us a lot more options if we want to use them as well as, in the case of one of the young players being a big hit, having someone that will easily go for over £30 million in today's transfer window since they would still have so many years and even more potential ahead of them.

Exciting times.

Druss_the_Legend - 8/7/2016 06:43

billythekid - 8/7/2016 00:48

Ozil is 27?

Not in 2014 which is when they won the world cup.

Good young players playing alongside experienced players is a good mix.

Remember the Great Escape with MM?

If I was a Premier League midfielder, I wouldn't be looking forward to facing Cook and Arter, both of whom try to grab games in the way described

The team I've been thinking of most as a comparison is Leeds under David O'Leary - young, exciting, ambitious, playing great football.

If we could sign a centre back with a bit of experience to hold it all together then I think we'll be in a pretty good position.

Who said we're trying to win anything...? Surely this year's target has got to be to finish above where we finished last year... If anything, staying up this year, could eclipse staying up last year as we don't have momentum, we won't have the same team, other players and imagers no know what we're about etc. etc.

I'd hate for us to enter into a cycle of just playing to avoid relegation each year, but I guess that is what 3/4 of the PL do. Survive and continue to build this year and slowly begin to push on...

I think Eddie is being quite shrewd in his (potential) signings this year as not one needs to be declared in his 25 man squad and all look like that could deliver something, it;s just how quickly they can deliver, which is the big risk.

I can't see we're done in the transfer window and maybe that 'experienced CB' is just waiting in the wings to come on down... Still exciting times...

Being realistic, if we have any chance of remaining PL long term, it's got to be as a development ground for young talent. Attracting players with large potential and large resale value, reinvesting from time to time and going again. I don't know if we'll ever have the gravitas to attract many established and proven PL players at the height of their powers. Or at least not for some years.

Eddie Howe has a good reputation in improving young players, so that might help attract them to come to our club, also they have seen how this club has improved and come through the leagues to the top league with Eddie as our manager.

Eddie has a far better chance of getting young players with their PL careers ahead of them to play football in the way that he wants them to than he does trying to change the habits of experienced players who have seen it all before and may be more resistant to adapting the way that they play to fit in with the team.

LewSwimmin - 8/7/2016 11:52

Eddie has a far better chance of getting young players with their PL careers ahead of them to play football in the way that he wants them to than he does trying to change the habits of experienced players who have seen it all before and may be more resistant to adapting the way that they play to fit in with the team.

Agree. Our crowd need to be patient though and give them time to gel

I can't remember if I mentioned it on here on not but I've definitely thought about the age of our squad before.

With key players like Francis, Daniels and (in a couple of weeks) Surman all 30+ now I was concerned we were lacking a bit of youth to come through and replace them. Although not necessarily direct replacements, I'm happy that we've been able to invest properly in some quality younger players, obviously assuming some of the mooted deals go through.

Very excited about our team of 2 or 3 years' time with players like Wilson also old enough to really be hitting their stride.

;