Youth set up

blandford_cherry

UTC Legend
Touched on this on another thread, when was the last time we had so many exciting prospects coming through or equally gave so many youngsters so much game time?

Whilst we don’t have a choice currently and if we had less injuries most of these wouldn’t even get a look in on the bench let alone the starting line up. Eddie never seemed to give the youngsters much of ago, he was very reluctant with Corey Jordan, Baily Cargill and Jack Simpson in previous injury crisis’s, reluctant with Kilkenny and Oforborh too.

‘Exciting’ prospects such as Sam Matthews, Josh Carmichael, Corey Jordan, Joe Partington, Jayden Stockley, Josh Mcqouid to name a few have all been moved on throughout the rise from league 2.

Anthony, Rossi, Zemura, Kilkenny, Saydee have all broken through due to the low squad numbers but none of them look out of place after pre season and a couple of games. Then there’s the likes of Moriah-Welsh, Scrimshaw, Glover, Camp etc coming through too.

Exciting times, and if it all goes wrong surely they’ll be worth a tidy sum like Surridge….

Touched on this on another thread, when was the last time we had so many exciting prospects coming through or equally gave so many youngsters so much game time?

Whilst we don’t have a choice currently and if we had less injuries most of these wouldn’t even get a look in on the bench let alone the starting line up. Eddie never seemed to give the youngsters much of ago, he was very reluctant with Corey Jordan, Baily Cargill and Jack Simpson in previous injury crisis’s, reluctant with Kilkenny and Oforborh too.

‘Exciting’ prospects such as Sam Matthews, Josh Carmichael, Corey Jordan, Joe Partington, Jayden Stockley, Josh Mcqouid to name a few have all been moved on throughout the rise from league 2.

Anthony, Rossi, Zemura, Kilkenny, Saydee have all broken through due to the low squad numbers but none of them look out of place after pre season and a couple of games. Then there’s the likes of Moriah-Welsh, Scrimshaw, Glover, Camp etc coming through too.

Exciting times, and if it all goes wrong surely they’ll be worth a tidy sum like Surridge….
Yes, it feels as though this may be a hint of a PL legacy. It would seem as though we did invest some of that income into the academy setup, which is a relief. For us to suddenly be producing multiple Championship level players is an impressive achievement given our history. Not to be sniffed at and credit due !

Yes, it feels as though this may be a hint of a PL legacy. It would seem as though we did invest some of that income into the academy setup, which is a relief. For us to suddenly be producing multiple Championship level players is an impressive achievement given our history. Not to be sniffed at and credit due !

Whilst I appreciate we can’t judge them on 2 games they were against decent opposition, on the flip side even if they didn’t get another game between them due to returning players at least we have the knowledge they are able to step in when needed throughout the season instead of them waiting for the 3rd round of the FA cup.

So refreshing to see them all competing with good sides at this level. I guarantee, if you put this many youth players in the first team of anyone in our division, they would be struggling to stay up, if they could even manage a double figure points tally. For the first time since about 2018, I feel a connection with the team. Doesn't matter where we finish, we are Bournemouth and our boys are battling!

When we were in League 2 we recruited via the Academy for League 2.

When we were in the Championship we starting recruiting from Premier League Academies and it is these lads that are now coming through.

No we didn’t invest anything. The PL money certainly didn’t make it to the academy

Eddie never seemed to give the youngsters much of ago

For all of SOD's virtues, he rarely brought through youth. Before anyone mentions Brian Stock or Carl Fletcher, Mel Machin gave them their debuts. Plus Brett was rarely utilised. So there.

Towards the end of his reign, I distinctly remember having a centre back called Aaron Brown on loan from Reading. He was previously a member of the Tamworth side who had knocked us out of the FA Cup and had subsequently got his move to a league side. Anyway, SOD decided to play him up front, presumably for a laugh. Then around 8 months later Sam Vokes was getting game time under Kevin Bond. I honestly don't think that Vokes would have gotten game time under SOD.

Anyway, my point is, maybe Eddie was just following his mentor? Or maybe we were just so far ahead of where we had been previously that the likes of Cargill, who would have been regulars if we were still a middling league 1 side, were simply not good enough for the Prem.

Hard to play youth when you have the pressure of staying up In the premier league.however to be fair to Eddie and JT they did lnvest in.it
They most certainly did and attended as many sessions and games as they could. Out on the training pitches as well along with Steve Purchase and in my opinion doing this as they felt the academy coaches needed some input as well. Afraid these club stalwarts couldn’t do it all.

;