11 years ago...

It was an amazing day, lovely and warm if I remember, all a bit of a daze to be honest. But the hard work was done the week before in the more crucial and nervy game up at Chester.

For Fletch though, between this volley and his cannon at the Millenium Stadium, he's got a couple of right belters to be best known for!

Funny, but for me this day was a far more emotionally intense day than 27th April 2015.

Anyone else feel like that ?

Chester was the intense nerve wracking day which surpasses Bolton but only just.

The Grimsby day for me felt more like a celebration day, apart from half time when we were losing...thankfully didn’t last long.

I was pretty relaxed about that game. The absolutely critical match was at Chester 7 days before. Lose that and we were down and out. After the Grimsby game we still had a match left anyway, away at Morecambe which we ended up winning 4-0.
We actually ended up 9 points clear of Chester with a better goal difference of + 46 !!!!! Even if we had only drawn against Grimsby we were mathematically safe. Even losing to Grimsby would have meant Chester had to win their last game 47-0.
It was a great day for celebrating though !
https://www.soccerbase.com/tournaments/tournament.sd?tourn_id=227

I still feel Mels season was the greater.

It was out with the old guard and in came new young blood and it paid off.

The night and those first three goals in a 20 minute or so spell at an overly packed Dean Court with loads left outside in the evening game against Shrewsbury was some night.

Remember when we lost games how our crowd stood and applauded the younger players as they gave their all for the team.

I still feel Mels season was the greater.

There's not a lot in it.. but I think the first Great Escape just edges it.

Eddie took over the basis of a decent side with a couple of additions in the Jan.

Mel had longer, but had to almost completely rebuild the side (that was repeatedly getting humped) as the season went on. 9 points at Christmas and five teams went down that season!
We only climbed out of the relegation zone on the penultimate Saturday by winning away at a team who were trying to win the championship as only finishing top got automatic promotion that year.
Thankfully no transfer windows back then........

;