AFC Bournemouth v Everton

Interesting observations.

3 thoughts:

1. We know Kerkez has struggled to complete 90 minutes in the first half of the season so maybe he is told to conserve energy more now or was struggling after the late challenge on him in the first half?

2. Kelly’s fantastic cross was something he used to do when he first appeared as a left back but lately he has been less attacking in the full back position. Think GON preferred that but I think AI played him like that too.

3. Generally, I have been surprised how little our full backs have bombed forward under AI except when dango and (to a lesser extent) Aarons play there. As mentioned above, Kelly is often deep while Smith hasn’t the legs to keep doing that albeit has had a really good season. I think Eddie was more effective with full backs as an attacking threat

@Matt Stevenson: have you got some heat maps that prove/reject the above?
The full backs in Iraola's system are not as high as they were under Eddie because our CBs step into midfield a lot more.

If DCL had gone down when the contact happened I think it would have been a pen, but Adams barely touched his shin (not enough to knock him over) and then withdrew his foot, there was then a split second of thought before DCL decided to do his plank impression and therefore, it looked like a dive
Exactly. Calvert-Lewin tucked both feet up under his hams after the contact. There was no way that the actual contact could cause such a bodily action; it was clearly cheating. He should have been booked.

Exactly. Calvert-Lewin tucked both feet up under his hams after the contact. There was no way that the actual contact could cause such a bodily action; it was clearly cheating. He should have been booked.

DCL actually a good replacement for Dom imo, but likely well beyond us, in reality. Apparently on 150k a week, and likely command 50/60 mill plus, despite injuries, lack of output past couple of years.

High workrate (only striker I can think of similar to Dom in that regard) and actually talented too.... goal scorer, technical, quick as well as strong.

Like I say, unrealisitic to think we could sign him imo, even if Everton went down.

Everton's play reminded me of the Cambridge Utd tactics in their successful spell under John Beck with Dion Dublin up front. Anyone else at the 4-0 away defeat in 1991 ?
Yep, I was there.

IIRC Cambridge Utd hoofed that ball up in the air every chance they got all game. Tactics we clearly couldn't cope with.

Seem to recall a few of our fans comments shouted at Dublin along the lines of what the hell are you doing playing for a shite team like that!

One of the very few games I've left before the end!

Interesting observations.

3 thoughts:

1. We know Kerkez has struggled to complete 90 minutes in the first half of the season so maybe he is told to conserve energy more now or was struggling after the late challenge on him in the first half?

2. Kelly’s fantastic cross was something he used to do when he first appeared as a left back but lately he has been less attacking in the full back position. Think GON preferred that but I think AI played him like that too.

3. Generally, I have been surprised how little our full backs have bombed forward under AI except when dango and (to a lesser extent) Aarons play there. As mentioned above, Kelly is often deep while Smith hasn’t the legs to keep doing that albeit has had a really good season. I think Eddie was more effective with full backs as an attacking threat

@Matt Stevenson: have you got some heat maps that prove/reject the above?
Interesting comment on Smith as I think he has been further forward under AI than previous season or two. Dying minutes on Saturday and who was the most forward and crossing which led to the own goal. Just saying.

Yep, I was there.

IIRC Cambridge Utd hoofed that ball up in the air every chance they got all game. Tactics we clearly couldn't cope with.

Seem to recall a few of our fans comments shouted at Dublin along the lines of what the hell are you doing playing for a shite team like that!

One of the very few games I've left before the end!
Was that the evening match where we kept chanting, "higher, higher"?

Interesting comment on Smith as I think he has been further forward under AI than previous season or two. Dying minutes on Saturday and who was the most forward and crossing which led to the own goal. Just saying.
Think Adam has a very good season and pushed up well. Of course, it was his cross that led to the winner. Long spells though he didn’t push up and we played deeper.

Also worth commenting on being the first afcb player to reach 200 prem league appearances - a brilliant achievement

Senesi is a vital cog in Iraola's system......Mepham has done well tbf but we haven't looked anywhere near our best going forward since Senesi got injured.......we really need that spine of Sensei....Christie and Dom.
Agree although against physical sides such as Luton Sheffield and Everton I think meps gives us more physicality than Senesi and has done well. I do hope though senesi is fit soon

Mephs has stepped in and done a job. He’s a quality squad player.
Agree. Hard to have an experienced player like him who is happy to be a squad player. It sounds like he would prefer a regular start now given some of his interview comments on January

The full backs in Iraola's system are not as high as they were under Eddie because our CBs step into midfield a lot more.
Exactly. Plus we get the ball forward much faster to the wingers so barely time for the full backs to catch up. Look how many times Cook and Tav smash first time passes out to Semenyo or Kluivert.

;