Back to basics

93e3246feb8c7e8f4c311b9ad9f7d99a.png

For our Club and its Resources...Back to Basics...can only mean re-developing the Arrogance and Swagger we played with in the Championship and Most of the time in the PL. That entailed an Outragious amount of Possession...because without the ball we just dont know what to do once we go behind...fear increases and we play like Jelly...whatever the formation and whoever is in. Leadership is a Basic too....so you need at least 3 in the team capable of that..minimum, 1 at the back and 1 in the middle. A Feisty but Calm goalkeeper helps !
The Possession Basic includes not giving the ball away by careless passes! Our worst fault this season since October!
People bang on about possession Not being Important...it is for Afcb in this League!

Before each game...you can guarantee someone will mention the name of the Referee....it doesnt matter.....if the opposition has the Ball ..Any Ref is On Their Side ! You cant get more Basic than that!
These are Basics that Clough would ' bully' into his players! Ferguson too I guess!
Clough even allowed the Press to film their training and his ranting...he wasnt bothered as long as his players obeyed the Basics on the Saturday!

Last edited:
For our Club and its Resources...Back to Basics...can only mean re-developing the Arrogance and Swagger we played with in the Championship and Most of the time in the PL. That entailed an Outragious amount of Possession...because without the ball we just dont know what to do once we go behind...fear increases and we play like Jelly...whatever the formation and whoever is in. Leadership is a Basic too....so you need at least 3 in the team capable of that..minimum, 1 at the back and 1 in the middle. A Feisty but Calm goalkeeper helps !
The Possession Basic includes not giving the ball away by careless passes! Our worst fault this season since October!
People bang on about possession Not being Important...it is for Afcb in this League!

Before each game...you can guarantee someone will mention the name of the Referee....it doesnt matter.....if the opposition has the Ball ..Any Ref is On Their Side ! You cant get more Basic than that!
These are Basics that Clough would ' bully' into his players! Ferguson too I guess!
Clough even allowed the Press to film their training and his ranting...he wasnt bothered as long as his players obeyed the Basics on the Saturday!

Bang on Bill... Well said

We seem to have abandoned the posession game this season, for a counter-attack style... It is the one noticable difference in our play from the other PL seasons, and the Champ season...

I'd love to turn up at the AMEX on Saturday and boss posession, like we used to... I just wonder though if Eddie plays the way we do now, because our midfield isn't good enough to carry the posession game anymore (Lerma is already working for 2 in there), instead utilising the sheer pace of Wilson, King, Fraser et al to do all our damage on the counter...

Last edited:
For me....these next few games...basics means working their blooming 'nads off for the full duration of the game, give absolutely everything they've got for the shirt and from there, I'll back them. Its all us fans ever want, give the maximum for the fans and win, lose or draw, I'll knock nobody.

Great post Bill, it would be good to see us play the way we did in the Championship. Unfortunately the players/the team collectively then were better than most in that division. As we we have already experienced, many of the players in the PL are experienced, quality players who are often technically far better than those we have, and so I’m not sure that the Championship style of play would have the same effect...much as I would love to see it.

;