Everton / Remembering John Marshall

kirsikka

UTC Legend
The recent Tom Lockyer return for the Luton game and with Everton being up next brought this to my mind.

In my final year at primary school in Bournemouth, my school won the town cup. I was on the right wing but on the left wing was a tiny terror three years younger than the rest of us. The difference between an 8 year old and 11 year old is immense but he was incredible.

His name was John Marshall and even then you could see he was a bit special. I got picked for that school team when I was 8 and up against 11 year olds I was totally lost. Yet he looked like one of the best players on the pitch in the same situation.

I have one very clear memory of an interaction with his Dad. My socks kept coming down in one match and, in a thick scouse accent, he said "Come here son". He then got some tape out and taped them up just under the fold. This was revelatory to me, coming from a non- sporting family, that parents could have such genius solutions to sporting problems. Taping up socks... who knew?

Strange how a single moment of kindness can stay with you decades later.

I digress... John's talent blossomed to the point where he was playing for England schoolboys and was one of the chosen few to be at Lilleshal, if you remember that.

Loads of clubs wanted to sign him but he was set to go to Everton. I don't know but from his Dad's accent I guess that was his family club.

Tragically, seemingly from nowhere, he suffered a heart problem and on the day he was due to sign with Everton he passed away aged 16.

Hopefully it would have a different outcome today with all the facilities and screening that takes place. Still, I feel a tinge of honour that I got to play on the same team as such a special talent and sad the world never got to see him in full flight.

There's more on his story here for anyone interested: https://www.efcstatto.com/stories/the-john-marshall-story/

That's all. A melancholy memory brought back to the surface by recent events.

He was in my brother's year at St Walburga's, year above me and I played against him loads of times in kickabouts. It's not possible to describe how good he was compared to everyone else - nobody could get near him and he could just go on a run, take it round everyone and score any time he wanted. He'd go in goal and he was the best keeper by a distance. I think he was also brilliant at cricket and probably anything else he tried. He wasn't cocky at all just a lovely lad who was absolutely obsessed by football.

There was no doubt in our minds that he'd go right to the top so the only surprise when he signed for a top club is that it wasn't Liverpool who I think was his team. Devastating to hear when he died, I can't imagine how horrible that was for his family.

He was in my brother's year at St Walburga's, year above me and I played against him loads of times in kickabouts. It's not possible to describe how good he was compared to everyone else - nobody could get near him and he could just go on a run, take it round everyone and score any time he wanted. He'd go in goal and he was the best keeper by a distance. I think he was also brilliant at cricket and probably anything else he tried. He wasn't cocky at all just a lovely lad who was absolutely obsessed by football.

There was no doubt in our minds that he'd go right to the top so the only surprise when he signed for a top club is that it wasn't Liverpool who I think was his team. Devastating to hear when he died, I can't imagine how horrible that was for his family.
I lost my only granddaughter 3 years ago. She was only 16 and a talented dancer and singer. You just never get over it.

I played with him on the st walburgas team and we won some cup can’t remember what. Then we went on to St. Peter’s that never had teams in much of anything. If I remember correctly he passed right before signing for Everton and he played for England youth teams

;