I’m concerned

Ivyhouse

Star Player
for next season. Given the dross that’s been served up since October our 4 ‘stars’, Ake, Brooks, Lerma And Weeman must be on the verge of yelling ‘get me out of here’
Thank goodness the fixtures were kind at the beginning and we met those teams at a time they were really poor. Watford, West Ham, Leicester.
What about last week I hear you say. I just don’t know I’m afraid and I’m sure neither does Eddie.
Even he might be tempted to look for a new challenge. We might be lucky and find 3 worse teams, Brighton/Cardiff, Sheffield and maybe Norwich but is that any way to approach a new season ? Help me out please. Give me a reason to hope.

I will wait and see how we shape up with a fully fit squad. However the lack of leadership at times is worrying along with a lack of flexibility in our tactics and formation .
I know we had a thin squad today but to play 4 centre backs at home against Fulham was mad IMO.

Yes there has been a lot of crap since the first 10 games.

The frustrating thing is every once in awhile we look superb.

You just couldn’t imagine most other teams in the bottom half turning out results like 4-0 over Chelsea or spanking their local rivals 5-0 away.

I will wait and see how we shape up with a fully fit squad. However the lack of leadership at times is worrying along with a lack of flexibility in our tactics and formation .
I know we had a thin squad today but to play 4 centre backs at home against Fulham was mad IMO.

Completely agree. I know it’s not ideal shifting players like King outwide when he’s been so vocal about it, but at least then we could maybe have Brooks centrally have three in the middle and a central back three.

First change was like for like as well, very odd considering the four centre backs offered no over laps down the wings which made it so easy for Fulham to defend against.

We need a huge clearout of deadwood. Players who Eddie obviously doesnt rate,the old guard who are past their sell by date, the permanently injured and the just not good enough. The problem is that will leave us with maybe half the current squad and a massive overhaul rarely ends well

for next season. Given the dross that’s been served up since October our 4 ‘stars’, Ake, Brooks, Lerma And Weeman must be on the verge of yelling ‘get me out of here’
Thank goodness the fixtures were kind at the beginning and we met those teams at a time they were really poor. Watford, West Ham, Leicester.
What about last week I hear you say. I just don’t know I’m afraid and I’m sure neither does Eddie.
Even he might be tempted to look for a new challenge. We might be lucky and find 3 worse teams, Brighton/Cardiff, Sheffield and maybe Norwich but is that any way to approach a new season ? Help me out please. Give me a reason to hope.

Bit of an over reaction, so typical when we lose a game we had hoped to win. I don't believe we are any more at risk next season as about a dozen other teams will be. We have been horrible at times but I don't think we have had a fully fit squad since....?? October??? Off the top of my head anyway.

We have stayed up comfortable, yet again. I am mildly disappointed that we aren't challenging for seventh if I am honest but as I mentioned, the injuries totally messed up our flow. Losing Smithy today probably messed with much of the whole game plan too.

I don't buy that we only won games because other teams were poor at the time, that is just utter tripe. A fully fit squad means we are on a par with mid-table or just above, that is what we are actually dealing with. Being drama queens when we lose such a game doesn't really help anyone.

The problem is that we have had an injury prone season but that may carry over. There is no guarantee players like Charlie, Franno, little Cook and Stan are going to come back as they were and the first 2 at least would probably not be regular starters next year in as ideal world. But we will have them on the wage bill as no-one is going to risk buying them

Bit of an over reaction, so typical when we lose a game we had hoped to win. I don't believe we are any more at risk next season as about a dozen other teams will be. We have been horrible at times but I don't think we have had a fully fit squad since....?? October??? Off the top of my head anyway.

We have stayed up comfortable, yet again. I am mildly disappointed that we aren't challenging for seventh if I am honest but as I mentioned, the injuries totally messed up our flow. Losing Smithy today probably messed with much of the whole game plan too.

I don't buy that we only won games because other teams were poor at the time, that is just utter tripe. A fully fit squad means we are on a par with mid-table or just above, that is what we are actually dealing with. Being drama queens when we lose such a game doesn't really help anyone.

So you’d say the Watford, Leicester and West Ham that we beat are the same teams today as they were then. Rose tints is a much overused term but blimey pal.

Not an over reaction to one or two results but a reality check.

Ignoring the goalkeeper problem 2 of the old guard in defence Francis and Daniels are in all sincerity when (and when) fit not Premiership quality any more. Did their bit in history but teams move on . In hindsight contracts too generous time wise.

Midfleld Surman has done his bit, like Pugh who it is assumed will move on anyway, Stanislas (no further comment) plus an assortment of kids who won't make it. Poor old Hyman has just wasted precious time in his career.

In attack Mousset will never be the answer to any question French or English plus more assorted kids.

Those are just the obvious weak links that have to be replaced regardless of those who will be poached.

We harp on but not replacing over the past 2 years has enhanced the problem. Nice guys and history don't win matches. Our squad is too thin.

Something is very wrong.....look at Watford ...with a squad of probably less talented players apart from Deulofeu...but the application and leadership from Deeney alone or helped by one or two others is the difference ?
We have off- field problems....there is absolutley no doubt...you dont win away 5-0 one week , then lose at home to a relegation team!

I think also, perhaps the Lewis Cook coming back thing is hyped up a bit...a false dawn. We didnt win many games with him in the side! The chances are too, if Leeds come up he will be back up there like greased weasal sh#t!

It would be very easy to paper up the cracks and say we had (marginally) the better chances today.

The reality is we haven’t controlled a match at home for some time. We generally create enough at home to get results through a combination of huffing and puffing, set pieces, penalties and opposition ineptitude. I guess our luck ran out in that regard today.

I’m used to seeing a Bournemouth side looking calm, composed and controlled in possession. What has happened to that side? The philosophy right now just seems to be to run round like headless chickens and hope we can force the ball over the line through brute force and ignorance.

So you’d say the Watford, Leicester and West Ham that we beat are the same teams today as they were then. Rose tints is a much overused term but blimey pal.

Not at all, 'pal'. I have already said elsewhere that this will be the most disappointing final placing since we got to the PL. A fully fit and on form squad would be aiming for seventh, no doubts.

As to your point - not sure why it can't be accepted we were actually just very good earlier in the season? You are suggesting those sides are very good now...we were good at that time. Quite simple.

Even now...the disappointing thing is...we are a couple of wins from being above Everton. Watford eight points ahead in seventh. So the facts don't support anyone who thinks we need to rip the squad apart or else we are doomed next season.

A bit of tinkering with the squad, get the main players fully fit and a better run of luck with injuries [ for example, Wolves were able to have a settled side all season, even if they have now also hit the beach ] and we are plenty good enough for the top half.

I am somewhere between @davygravy and @Ivyhouse. I must admit that I had a similar thought to ivy about the competition next year. One of brighton/cardiff will be tagged for the drop and typically one of the new teams won't cut it. That means it will be the typical cluster of 38-55 points fighting for 7th-18th. Lots of familiar faces from this season, decent teams that will fight tooth and nail plus perhaps two new ones. Who would you pick for 18th from that gang - I'm afraid that our name will be mentioned.
That said, the injury run has been horrible and for reasons identified, certain players like Clyne and Ibe have gone south. The "rebuild" may turn out to be tinkering, but could be something more depending if anyone goes elsewhere.

Equally important, we need to get in the players that will enhance our stipulated style of play, or we need EH and team to find something different that works, at least some of the time. The bad teams find ways to shut down our free flowing style to beat us, while the big teams let us play that style knowing that they can do it better, to beat us. Either way, the outcome is "to beat us", which is kind of scary.

Not an over reaction to one or two results but a reality check.

Ignoring the goalkeeper problem 2 of the old guard in defence Francis and Daniels are in all sincerity when (and when) fit not Premiership quality any more. Did their bit in history but teams move on . In hindsight contracts too generous time wise.

Midfleld Surman has done his bit, like Pugh who it is assumed will move on anyway, Stanislas (no further comment) plus an assortment of kids who won't make it. Poor old Hyman has just wasted precious time in his career.

In attack Mousset will never be the answer to any question French or English plus more assorted kids.

Those are just the obvious weak links that have to be replaced regardless of those who will be poached.

We harp on but not replacing over the past 2 years has enhanced the problem. Nice guys and history don't win matches. Our squad is too thin.

I gave up when you said Premiership.

I am somewhere between @davygravy and @Ivyhouse. I must admit that I had a similar thought to ivy about the competition next year. One of brighton/cardiff will be tagged for the drop and typically one of the new teams won't cut it. That means it will be the typical cluster of 38-55 points fighting for 7th-18th. Lots of familiar faces from this season, decent teams that will fight tooth and nail plus perhaps two new ones. Who would you pick for 18th from that gang - I'm afraid that our name will be mentioned.
That said, the injury run has been horrible and for reasons identified, certain players like Clyne and Ibe have gone south. The "rebuild" may turn out to be tinkering, but could be something more depending if anyone goes elsewhere.

Equally important, we need to get in the players that will enhance our stipulated style of play, or we need EH and team to find something different that works, at least some of the time. The bad teams find ways to shut down our free flowing style to beat us, while the big teams let us play that style knowing that they can do it better, to beat us. Either way, the outcome is "to beat us", which is kind of scary.
More rumours flying around the club post match that Ibe has pissed Eddie off for the last time. Have to wonder if something isn't wrong as I wouldn't have thought Hyndman would suddenly appear on the subs bench after all this time. It is " rumoured " that Ibe had to wait ages for Eddie and Jason at the training building tonight. Being torn a new one was one of the quotes being flung around. Could all be bullpoo of course .

Every single game of a 38 game season should be played with the same intensity by every player....if only based on their salaries....the ' beach' question should not surface! The intensity of the fans.... and the managers it would seem, doesnt waver !
It would be sad if all this time, someone like Hyndman had been 'up for it ' and a few regulars not always in that mode! Having said that we dont 'know' the individuals as Eddie does so we have to trust his reasons for inclusion ..or not.

Last edited:
More rumours flying around the club post match that Ibe has pissed Eddie off for the last time. Have to wonder if something isn't wrong as I wouldn't have thought Hyndman would suddenly appear on the subs bench after all this time. It is " rumoured " that Ibe had to wait ages for Eddie and Jason at the training building tonight. Being torn a new one was one of the quotes being flung around. Could all be bullpoo of course .

A Scottish mate of mine told me that Ibe will be joining Rangers on a season long loan next season.
Would make sense with Gerrard being manager and Ibe in the last year of his contract.

;