Are we capable of playing the Iraola way?

He looked alright before he got injured tbf but even if he isn't any good what about the rest of them? Why write them off?
I’m saying they haven’t been good yet apart from Aarons. Kerkez is good going forward and has potential but costs goals. The others might get better. Certainly hoping so. I look at Dangos in game intelligence and Kluiverts physical strength or Senesis pace though etc etc and think those things won’t change

I’m saying they haven’t been good yet apart from Aarons. Kerkez is good going forward and has potential but costs goals. The others might get better. Certainly hoping so. I look at Dangos in game intelligence and Kluiverts physical strength or Senesis pace though etc etc and think those things won’t change

I think Dango will always be one of those players who can damage teams and unlock defences but he'll always be hit and miss. He showed last season that he's not useless. Kerkez I think will be a world beater but you have to accept that young players will make mistakes. Agree on Aarons and actually really surprised he didn't move ages ago.

Senesi is a good solid player who will eventually be back up like Mepham at a similar price.

Kluivert looks good, sure he's lightweight but he's quick and tricky. Brooks is lightweight and not quick but shows how you can have an impact.

I don't think any of them have been awful. We will definitely need them all to step up but that goes for the manager too. We know Tavs is good but he's not made an impact under the new manager's system.

Today’s performance, particularly in the first half, was just appalling and yet again we gift goals and ultimately give the game away. This was a game where we should’ve secured a point as an absolute minimum, and it was a good opportunity to get all three.

It’s easy to put the blame on Iraola though. I’m not one to usually support Blake and Hughes, but I can certainly understand why they appointed Iraola based on his highly credible track record in Spain. The man is clearly no fool, on the contrary, he was an intelligent player, and he’s an intelligent manager if the notable successes he had in Spain are anything to go by.

But it was always going to take him time to settle for all the reasons that have been discussed on here hitherto. So if the owner/Blake and Hughes were not prepared to give Iraola a sensible period of time in which to settle; develop a new playing strategy and rebuild to a point (and that period of time needs to be a lot more than eight games), then they shouldn’t have appointed him in the first place.

None of us know what Iraola does in training, but on the pitch we have some players who are inexperienced at this level, and it’s showing; players who appear to lack intelligence (this could also be down to inexperience) which is also showing and, fundamentally, some players who lack passion and commitment – this was certainly the case in the first half today and for parts of the second half too.

I just don’t understand this, what is going through the minds of the players? They know we need points. Is it because they’re not fully onside with, or understanding of the system, or is it that they simply don’t care that much or that they can’t be bothered or collectively they’re just out of their depth… I’m not convinced it’s the latter.

I think we’re also suffering because of the naivety of our owner who has allowed Blake and Hughes a seemingly free rein in the transfer market. The owners commitment to invest is genuinely impressive, resulting in Blake and Hughes broadly going all out for attacking players because that’s the way Iraola wants to play. But this is at the expense of building an experienced defence – which has to be the foundation of any team. I’m not knocking Aarons, Zabarnyi or Kerkez who I think have huge potential, but their inexperience of PL football is showing. So there’s been a lack of balance I think when it comes to player recruitment.

And then, finally, our inability to sign another striker (which was obviously the intention during the transfer window) is also costing us in games.

I think parting with Iraola would be a mistake and appointing someone else now would simply be a knee jerk reaction. And then a new manager would likely be lumbered with players who do not align with the way in which they would want to play. The successful clubs seem to be those who have belief and particularly patience. My concern is that our owner, as obviously committed as he is, doesn’t have the latter.

Seems like we are very unbalanced as a team.

Where are the back up centre backs?.......there aren't any.

The back up defensive midfielders......that's now Billings role, with Cook as a poor starter.

The wide players, are all rank average apart from Tavernier.

There is no quality, just average ability.

We signed Klievert, Sinsterra, Outtara, and Traore to improve the centre of the team and not one of those signings has shown consistent ability.

Brooks needs to start, Billing played further forward and Mepham in the back line.

Thinking Aaron's must have been ill or injured for Smith to start ahead of him.

If we are to build from the back we need to cut out the ridiculous errors. Zabarnyi, Cook and Senesi, all guilty of errors in the last couple of games.

Smith trying to buy free kicks also cost us a goal today.

Neto should attempt to catch half of the balls he punches.

Tavernier comes out of the game with credit.

The squad is really badly unbalanced.

Seems like we are very unbalanced as a team.

Where are the back up centre backs?.......there aren't any.

The back up defensive midfielders......that's now Billings role, with Cook as a poor starter.

The wide players, are all rank average apart from Tavernier.

There is no quality, just average ability.

We signed Klievert, Sinsterra, Outtara, and Traore to improve the centre of the team and not one of those signings has shown consistent ability.

Brooks needs to start, Billing played further forward and Mepham in the back line.

Thinking Aaron's must have been ill or injured for Smith to start ahead of him.

If we are to build from the back we need to cut out the ridiculous errors. Zabarnyi, Cook and Senesi, all quilty of errors in the last couple of games.

Smith trying to buy free kicks also cost us a goal today.

Neto should attempt to catch half of the balls he punches.

Tavernier comes out of the game with credit.

The squad is really badly unbalanced.
You’re back!!!

Today’s performance, particularly in the first half, was just appalling and yet again we gift goals and ultimately give the game away. This was a game where we should’ve secured a point as an absolute minimum, and it was a good opportunity to get all three.

It’s easy to put the blame on Iraola though. I’m not one to usually support Blake and Hughes, but I can certainly understand why they appointed Iraola based on his highly credible track record in Spain. The man is clearly no fool, on the contrary, he was an intelligent player, and he’s an intelligent manager if the notable successes he had in Spain are anything to go by.

But it was always going to take him time to settle for all the reasons that have been discussed on here hitherto. So if the owner/Blake and Hughes were not prepared to give Iraola a sensible period of time in which to settle; develop a new playing strategy and rebuild to a point (and that period of time needs to be a lot more than eight games), then they shouldn’t have appointed him in the first place.

None of us know what Iraola does in training, but on the pitch we have some players who are inexperienced at this level, and it’s showing; players who appear to lack intelligence (this could also be down to inexperience) which is also showing and, fundamentally, some players who lack passion and commitment – this was certainly the case in the first half today and for parts of the second half too.

I just don’t understand this, what is going through the minds of the players? They know we need points. Is it because they’re not fully onside with, or understanding of the system, or is it that they simply don’t care that much or that they can’t be bothered or collectively they’re just out of their depth… I’m not convinced it’s the latter.

I think we’re also suffering because of the naivety of our owner who has allowed Blake and Hughes a seemingly free rein in the transfer market. The owners commitment to invest is genuinely impressive, resulting in Blake and Hughes broadly going all out for attacking players because that’s the way Iraola wants to play. But this is at the expense of building an experienced defence – which has to be the foundation of any team. I’m not knocking Aarons, Zabarnyi or Kerkez who I think have huge potential, but their inexperience of PL football is showing. So there’s been a lack of balance I think when it comes to player recruitment.

And then, finally, our inability to sign another striker (which was obviously the intention during the transfer window) is also costing us in games.

I think parting with Iraola would be a mistake and appointing someone else now would simply be a knee jerk reaction. And then a new manager would likely be lumbered with players who do not align with the way in which they would want to play. The successful clubs seem to be those who have belief and particularly patience. My concern is that our owner, as obviously committed as he is, doesn’t have the latter.
You've pretty much nailed it tbf....and getting rid now might be as much a mistake as with O'Neil at the time it was done..keeping O'Neil at least up until Xmas would have had some continuity and probably a lower mid-table or mid - table position.

I am at a loss to understand the system. we are supposed to be playing
Yes we are running about but mostly head less chickens comes to mind
We have a group of good players who we blame for the SYSTEM but at the moment I defy anyone to tell me what our systems is
As it is not working that is Iraolas job so fix or. change is needed
Is he the man that can do it

Time is not on his side

UTCIAD

Jack Stephens.

Would have him back in an instant.

He had some shortfalls, but was more than capable of organising a defence.

He also seemed to play with passion and guile.

Haven't seen that from Senesi or Zabarnyi lately.

Kerkez and Aaron's are good signings, but the centre back area is a mess.

We've all got our own options and we are entitled to them. This time last season we made the decision to remove Scott parker, ok so not necessarily for the results , but it didn't work out too badly for us. Seeing and admitting a mistake early on isnt embarrassing or knee jerk. I don't think guy is right for the players. His fault ? Probably not as I doubt he had very much input into the players we signed and has to play with the cards he's been dealt. Sometimes it just doesn't work. AI has had the summer and now two months and 8 games to implement his style of play on his squad yet here we are today seeing more changes in the starting 11 because he doesn't know what's best. I'm afraid he is the one who takes the training. He is the one who chooses the tactics. He is the one who picks the team. He is the one who gives the pre match instructions and he is the one who decides how to change during play. It isn't working and sometimes that's just how it is. The shoe doesn't always fit. Lots are saying they like the guy and because of that they hope it works out. It's not my sentiment. The guy is isolated from the fans infact makes no attempt to endear himself to the fans so how do we know how he treats the players? Does he have that attitude with them aswell? If so, it's easy to see why there seems to a lack of intensity on the pitch. Player power turning against him already? There'll only be one winner if that's the case. The decision to leave Brooks out? The decision to constantly persist with Solanke whilst options sit on the bench . I think he's on a slippery slope and what I'm seeing is not good. I have no issue with AI being sacked. He's not my mate, he's the manager of my football team and at the moment it seems like he's dragging the team down. But, if he is to go the selection for the next manager has to be correct so until then we shouldn't be hasty on our decision. The bottom line for the Yanks is this, poor results make the club less attractive for potential investors and those wanting to pay top dollar for hospitality. Their incentive is money and if it seems like they will start losing it AI will be gone.

Last edited:
Gary Cahill was a great CB for us before he got injured because he had experience, physical presence, aggression, aerial prowess, and he was a great leader on (and probably off) the field. His replacement, Nat Phillips, while a bit clumsy, also had many of those attributes, as did Jack Stephens. Our current squad is lacking this kind of experienced, no nonsense CB. We looked really naive at the back today.

We've all got our own options and we are entitled to them. This time last season we made the decision to remove Scott parker, ok so not necessarily for the results , but it didn't work out too badly for us. Seeing and admitting a mistake early on is embarrassing or knee jerk. I don't think guy is right for the players. His fault ? Probably not as I doubt he had very much input into the players we signed and has to play with the cards he's been dealt. Sometimes it just doesn't work. AI has had the summer and now two months and 8 games to implement his style of play on his squad yet here we are today seeing more changes in the starting 11 because he doesn't know what's best. I'm afraid he is the one who takes the training. He is the one who chooses the tactics. He is the one who picks the team. He is the one who gives the pre match instructions and he is the one who decides how to change during play. It isn't working and sometimes that's just how it is. The shoe doesn't always fit. Lots are saying they like the guy and because of that they hope it works out. It's not my sentiment. The guy is isolated from the fans infact makes no attempt to endear himself to the fans so how do we know how he treats the players? Does he have that attitude with them aswell? If so, it's easy to see why there seems to a lack of intensity on the pitch. Player power turning against him already? There'll only be one winner if that's the case. The decision to leave Brooks out? The decision to constantly persist with Solanke whilst options sit on the bench . I think he's on a slippery slope and what I'm seeing is not good. I have no issue with AI being sacked. He's not my mate, he's the manager of my football team and at the moment it seems like he's dragging the team down. But, if he is to go the selection for the next manager has to be correct so until then we shouldn't be hasty on our decision. The bottom line for the Yanks is this, poor results make the club less attractive for potential investors and those wanting to pay top dollar for hospitality. Their incentive is money and if it seems like they will start losing it AI will be gone.
I agree with most of this completely.

However, who is the option on the bench to challenge Solanke? Moore has shown that he simply isn’t a premier league player. Semenyo is more of a winger and Kluivert hasn’t exactly shone either. We simply have no one to challenge Dom’s position in the team and so he has less pressure to perform because he will still start every game because there is no alternative

The guy should be able to have the team at least looking like there is a plan. Even if the players are all shite they should be organised shite. I'm not seeing it.

The buck will stop with the decision makers though.
That's Hughes for overseeing a pile of crap signings.

You can polish a turd, but it's still a turd.

Good post.

Who do you think as a manager could get a tune out of this lot.

Dyche is already at Everton.
It the million dollar question. Dyche wouldn't be my choice ever but there's no denying he can get a tune out of the most broken violin , even if that tune sounds like a wailing cat. People have mentioned Potter and he is someone who would fit the bill. Chelsea was the wrong club for him and he probably regrets going there although anyone would be crazy to turn down the opportunity at a top 6 club. This won't go down well , but , Hassenhutl is someone I'd consider. Treated poorly by the Saints but someone I rate higher they obviously did.

;