Josh Wakefield

LewSwimmin

Star Player
Josh is quoted as saying ""I've played a lot of Under 21s football, and the step-up to men`s football is a lot greater than some people think"

Josh is 22, no longer a boy, but has had little experience of playing against men, and this seems to me a major drawback of the way we bring players through these days.

Older supporters will remember when all our local League clubs played their 'A' (3rd) teams in the Hampshire League and their'B' teams in the local leagues. Before the proliferation of leagues that we see now Hants 1 was a very good standard of football, with quality teams winning it with a lot of talented players.

Boscombe, Saints and Pompey fielded players as young as 16 in their 'A' teams, and the average age was probably 18-19 which gave young players a great grounding that hardened them up in a way not possible in the age grouped teams they play in now. At times teams like Fareham and Basingstoke were not far below Football league standard.

Playing against (often ruthless) adults at this level of football was a very good way of toughening up young players and preparing them for the higher standards found in the Football League. For many it was a baptism of fire which enabled them to become better and stronger players at an early age, and it sorted out those who could cope with the greater physicality from those who couldn't or didn't want to.

It seems that nowadays only the most exceptionally talented young players can get into League sides at 18 or so.

You're quite right Lew. How many of our current U21's have played against adult men opposition at any standard, be it Bmth league or above?

Having played for the Youth team in the Bournemouth leagues back in the late '70's , I can vouch for the toughening up process playing against men's teams. I don't think we ever finished a game with 11 boys on the pitch !

Unfortunately ,a career ending injury came my way in one such game......mind you, I never would of made it anyway....probably !

:116:

There are players who, if we consolidate in the PL, we must know will likely never reach that level. Or may need to rebuild from the bottom with lots of first team experience to get there, like Ritchie did. I hope we don't hoard them for the sake of numbers and give them the best chance of building a pro career for themselves.

It's a good point. Youth development has clearly been made more difficult since the mega money has come into the game. I don't know if local leagues are a high enough standard to significantly improve players these days and playing B teams is obviously controversial once you get to the professional level. I would guess that the vast majority of us are against B teams in the league system. This is why the loan system HAS to work as I don't see an alternative.

I don't think we are different to most other clubs at this level? Quite rare to see any youth players going into PL first teams.

;