Neto

Almost felt surreal to see a keeper actually come off of his line last night, very good to see.

Travers has to play until the end of the season, don’t know if he’s the answer but one thing I’m sure of is that he is more likely to be the answer than Neto. Don’t want to see Neto start in the league for us again, he’s a decent shot stopper and a fair distributor but every other aspect of his game is lacking. It’s testament to Iraola and how well the team is set up, because normally teams with keepers who make as many howlers as Neto has will end up relegated.

Almost felt surreal to see a keeper actually come off of his line last night, very good to see.

Travers has to play until the end of the season, don’t know if he’s the answer but one thing I’m sure of is that he is more likely to be the answer than Neto. Don’t want to see Neto start in the league for us again, he’s a decent shot stopper and a fair distributor but every other aspect of his game is lacking. It’s testament to Iraola and how well the team is set up, because normally teams with keepers who make as many howlers as Neto has will end up relegated.

Nah this is rubbish. This is Neto and the goal allowed there'd be a dog pile about him being "rooted to his line" and "not claiming the cross".
1714037994403.png

Neto is a decent 'keeper it's just that even the most successful team in our history can't exist without a scapegoat.

you say that but look at PL stat page here is a few snippets
saves 111 6th in the league
high claims I assume means catching crosses 26 9th in the league
punches 26 1st in the league
errors leading to goals he has 1
those stats do not really back up your claims about him, he has been poor in patches but as the stats show he isn't all bad

Nah this is rubbish. This is Neto and the goal allowed there'd be a dog pile about him being "rooted to his line" and "not claiming the cross".
View attachment 13971

Neto is a decent 'keeper it's just even potentially our most successful team in our history apparently can't exist without a scapegoat.
There is absolutely no way in a million years any keeper could have been expected to claim that cross, behave.

Neto isn’t a decent keeper, sorry. He’s a decent shot stopper but a poor keeper by top flight standards. Being a goal keeper is about so much more than just shot stopping.

It’s interesting that after his many errors this season that AI chose the Villa game as the breaking point to replace him. Like I said after the game, his decision making for the second and third goals was inexcusable for a top flight keeper. He essentially gifted them the second and third goals by not doing his job and contesting for the ball.

I take real issue in the term scapegoat. I’m not scapegoating anyone, not am I saying that travers is the answer. I’m just stating what is blindingly obvious, Neto isn’t good enough.

View attachment 13971

Neto is a decent 'keeper it's just that even the most successful team in our history can't exist without a scapegoat.

Yeah not great from Zabarnyi either that. That's said I'm pleased he's given Travers a go. Neto maybe isn't as shite as some bang on about but he can't have any complaints about getting dropped.

Neto’s body language last night in the pre-game warm up was very, very poor. In fact, I don’t think he participated much at all before going back to the dressing room.

you say that but look at PL stat page here is a few snippets
saves 111 6th in the league
high claims I assume means catching crosses 26 9th in the league
punches 26 1st in the league
errors leading to goals he has 1
those stats do not really back up your claims about him, he has been poor in patches but as the stats show he isn't all bad
I’m sorry, but those stats do not paint a true reflection of his ability as a goal keeper.

He made severe errors of judgement for two of the goals at a Villa for a start, just because it doesn’t meet the statistical criteria that this site is using to define an error it doesn’t mean that he hasn’t made them. It’s crazy to suggest that he’s only cost us one goal this season! If that’s the case why has he been dropped?

View attachment 13971

No keeper is either claiming that cross or saving that header.
I said towards the end of last nights game that I was much more relaxed with Travers on goal....he caught the balls he should have caught... saved the shots he should have saved and looked assured with his kicking....that's all you can ask for.

I’m sorry, but those stats do not paint a true reflection of his ability as a goal keeper.

He made severe errors of judgement for two of the goals at a Villa for a start, just because it doesn’t meet the statistical criteria that this site is using to define an error it doesn’t mean that he hasn’t made them. It’s crazy to suggest that he’s only cost us one goal this season! If that’s the case why has he been dropped?

Don't be sorry just look at the data and test your bias with it.

One "dead rubber" game where he didn't start is evidence he's crap but the rest of the season is what?

I just pointed out stats available, people need a scapegoat at all times and sometimes it's easy to blame the keeper like I said he has been poor at times but nowhere near as bad as people are claiming, we need a upgrade in summer to replace both Travers and neto

I just pointed out stats available, people need a scapegoat at all times and sometimes it's easy to blame the keeper like I said he has been poor at times but nowhere near as bad as people are claiming, we need a upgrade in summer to replace both Travers and neto
I'd settle for a keeper that isn’t prone to a howler.......I'm not sure whether Travers isn’t that Keeper.....he was excellent in the Championship and he wasn't given a chance in the PL by gon......I'm absolutely certain Neto isn't that keeper however.

Yeah not great from Zabarnyi either that. That's said I'm pleased he's given Travers a go. Neto maybe isn't as shite as some bang on about but he can't have any complaints about getting dropped.

I'd sooner we play our strongest side, it's sending the wrong message otherwise.

The problem is Neto isn't a showy 'keeper but Travers is. People are easily seduced by a 'keeper flying across goal conceding corners from 40 yards out because they think from the perspective of the striker. Good 'keeping comes with the commentary "oh and he's hit it right at the 'keeper".

Neto has been asked quite a lot first under GON's defensive football and then AI's expansive football so he's going to be in positions which a 'keeper playing for Everton, West Ham, Luton etc isn't.

Last edited:
I'd settle for a keeper that isn’t prone to a howler.......I'm not sure whether Travers isn’t that Keeper.....he was excellent in the Championship and he wasn't given a chance in the PL by gon......I'm absolutely certain Neto isn't that keeper however.
there is probably a few keepers out there in our price range but will be a risk to hit the ground running, Travers is good when we are doing well he will make the pleasing on the eye saves that people remember but as soon as he concedes his form will drop (which a few keepers are like) but we need a keeper that can forget about it and then go again with same mentality, in a perfect world we would get a decent number 2 from a big club maybe a younger version of neto like the liverpool chap

there is probably a few keepers out there in our price range but will be a risk to hit the ground running, Travers is good when we are doing well he will make the pleasing on the eye saves that people remember but as soon as he concedes his form will drop (which a few keepers are like) but we need a keeper that can forget about it and then go again with same mentality, in a perfect world we would get a decent number 2 from a big club maybe a younger version of neto like the liverpool chap
As I said I don't care about the eye catching saves......I just want to be confident that our keeper isn’t going to do something stupid.....my is heart in my mouth with Neto every time a cross comes in or if he's asked to kick a ball.

For me, it’s not been direct errors that have been the problem with Neto. It’s been his general play and decision making. A keeper punching the ball instead of going for an “easy catch” is never going to be listed as an error, not closing down strikers isn’t listed as an “error”. He simply hasn’t been pulling his weight as a player like he was last year, too many question marks over his levels.

I'd sooner we play our strongest side, it's sending the wrong message otherwise.

The problem is Neto isn't a showy 'keeper but Travers is. People are easily seduced by a 'keeper flying across goal conceding corners from 40 yards out because they think from the perspective of the striker. Good 'keeping comes with the commentary "oh and he's hit it right at the 'keeper".

Neto has been asked quite a lot first under GON's defensive football and then AI's expansive football so he's going to be in positions which a 'keeper playing for Everton, West Ham, Luton etc isn't.

Tbf I don't think it's particularly about Travers' merits it's about dropping Neto for his poor form in terms of mistakes.

The Tories are likely to get voted out this year but it isn't because Keir Starmer is brilliant.

So I've watched Travers in goal twice this season and the rest of the time it's been Neto. Neto is (IMO) an average goalkeeper in the prem. He looked poor against Villa because of the comparison with an in form world champion 'keeper. Martinez might be a world class dickhead but he is probably the best 'keeper in the league or the world right now. I've rated Travers since that game against spurs and was surprised we signed Neto at all but there we are.
I have always felt more comfortable with Travers in goal when crosses are coming in. He makes it look easy, compared to Neto when he doesn't claim or even look to claim the ball. I think given the chance Travers can be another Ramsdale and properly claim the number 1.

As I said I don't care about the eye catching saves......I just want to be confident that our keeper isn’t going to do something stupid.....my is heart in my mouth with Neto every time a cross comes in or if he's asked to kick a ball.
funny as in our championship season I wasn't confident when we were defending even with Travers in good form but last season when neto was given the chance i thought the whole team looked better and were more confident and the league games he came back in for we were shakey again, i think we won 2 games out of the 12 he played in league obviously not just down to him, like I said neto hasn't been as good this season and between the 2 I'm still more confident when neto is playing he organises the defence better, if we could combine the 2 players we would end up with a keeper that would vastly improve us

funny as in our championship season I wasn't confident when we were defending even with Travers in good form but last season when neto was given the chance i thought the whole team looked better and were more confident and the league games he came back in for we were shakey again, i think we won 2 games out of the 12 he played in league obviously not just down to him, like I said neto hasn't been as good this season and between the 2 I'm still more confident when neto is playing he organises the defence better, if we could combine the 2 players we would end up with a keeper that would vastly improve us
That is strange....I thought Travers was outstanding in the Championship....won us a lot of points......we did invite a lot of pressure at the end of games thanks to Parkers shut up shop tactics and I don’t remember any howlers from Travers.

That is strange....I thought Travers was outstanding in the Championship....won us a lot of points......we did invite a lot of pressure at the end of games thanks to Parkers shut up shop tactics and I don’t remember any howlers from Travers.
he didn't have major howlers just small mistakes mainly due to not commanding his area vocally if I remember correctly and being at games I'm sat right behind the goal and you can hear the difference between the 2.
I think Travers at moment is a good lower PL/top championship keeper who can improve but whether he improves in the time frame the team needs him 2 is another thing, keeper is the recruitment you need to get right generally it's a area we have done well in we just need to make the next step with it and once again get another keeper who will gain us more points over a season then cost us, last season neto was that but this season he is sliding the other way

;