No more 4-4-2

The key is getting the wing backs a lot further up the field. They were pretty deep in the first half and we didn't look good.

NWCherries98 - 20/12/2017 17:19

If Howe plays 4-4-2 against City then he will have well and truly lost the f***ing plot.

Would it surprise you though lol???
If we play 3 in the middle vs city and get spanked I hope he keeps it vs west ham and Everton as city spank prettty much everyone

We’ve always played a back 3 as a containment exercise. It was good to see we can use it in an attacking sense in the 2nd half tonight. Whatever happens at City, let’s give it a run for a few home games too.

Tinpot Club - 20/12/2017 17:35

We’ve always played a back 3 as a containment exercise. It was good to see we can use it in an attacking sense in the 2nd half tonight. Whatever happens at City, let’s give it a run for a few home games too.

Here here. City is not the game to judge a new formation

I feel with our midfield players that the thirds that a midfield three add up to is more than the half’s a mid field two add up to ... if you get what I mean!

352 can be as attacking a formation as you allow it to be. I think we currently have a squad that is suited to this as well.

Will Eddie risk Simpson against Man City?

I doubt he will, nor I fear, will Cook L start. A shame if neither player is given the opportunity.

tednphil - 21/12/2017 10:55

I doubt he will, nor I fear, will Cook L start. A shame if neither player is given the opportunity.

Arter's injured so if L Cook doesn't play that then potentially means a midfield two of Surman and Gosling. :eyes:

The way we played the 3-5-2 last night was a complete and refreshing contrast to 4-4-2. Instead of having a flat line across the middle, with Ibe in a free role behind the striker effectively you are creating a diamond.

For a side which likes to pass the ball, its much easier to move the ball through the lines with this shape as you have so many more passing options compared to a static 4-4-2. The key will be to get the wing backs high enough up the pitch to be an attacking threat.

tednphil - 21/12/2017 13:55

Based on Lewis Cook v Liverpool, he doesn't deserve to start.

Al will moan I'm not ambitious enough, but this game is just about keeping the score down, let's be honest. 3-5-2 worked well against them earlier in the season, I'd do the same again.

Silent AFCB - 21/12/2017 11:41

Al will moan I'm not ambitious enough, but this game is just about keeping the score down, let's be honest. 3-5-2 worked well against them earlier in the season, I'd do the same again.

And you don't think he deserves to start over Arter or/and Gosling with their performances so far this season? Having said that I'd save him for a game we can actually get something out of.

Silent AFCB - 21/12/2017 11:41

Well Franno and Surs had worse games than Lewis, but I bet they both start.

Jesus wept.

Howe will allow a gung ho attitude in the cup.

Not willing in the PL

Have we not witnessed this before?

;