Non - Holt Wood/Forest?

billythekid

UTC Legend
Does anyone who lives in the area know of the nearest car park within easy walking distance?

Only ones I have found are for Holt Heath.

I might live near, but I genuinely don't understand the question!

I might live near, but I genuinely don't understand the question!

Looked on map but only car park showing are for Holt Heath. We want to visit the wood and forest and wondered where you can park within easy walking distance of the wood. Wife wants to see the bluebells and there are some very ancient trees in there. Not an area we have explored before.

I know Holt Heath and Whitesheet area well, not sure where you mean by Holt Wood. No bluebells on Holt Heath, saw a curlew there yesterday and heard a cuckoo though, and expect the snakes to be active soon.

I nearly bought a house once backing onto Holt wood. If you look at Queens Copse Lane Billy, I believe there is a foot path running along its East side but not sure about parking. If you like walking you could come in on the footpath from Horton Tower . There is a pull in on the side of the road (that takes about 5 vehicles) just up from Chalbury Common.

Pamphill is excellent for bluebells as well.

I know Holt Heath and Whitesheet area well, not sure where you mean by Holt Wood. No bluebells on Holt Heath, saw a curlew there yesterday and heard a cuckoo though, and expect the snakes to be active soon.

"Heard a cuckoo ... And expect the snakes to be active soon." What is this, a BBC message to the French resistance? Al - you'd better blow up that bridge outside St Malo.

old inn not very near! agree with red_houses advice, queen copse lane. as others have said, I wouldnt say it was renowned for bluebells tbh.... or anything really! nice n quiet tho.

There's a path, that has direct access to the wood, off Horton rd about 200m east of thr Drusillas pub. Could park there and make use of their hospitality? Down side is you have to walk that road stretch..

There's a path, that has direct access to the wood, off Horton rd about 200m east of thr Drusillas pub. Could park there and make use of their hospitality? Down side is you have to walk that road stretch..

There is also parking just as you enter Wigbeth when coming from 3 legged cross on the Horton rd.

Just got back from Horton Tower and walked across the field to Holt Wood, unfortunately there was no entrance at the bottom. Found the entrance further up but by then I was cream crackered. Furthest I have walked since coming out of hospital was just over a mile. There and back to the car was 2.5 miles, warm day as well. Not exactly sure where we parked, near Chalbury Common, a layby next to a house and we walked along a footpath coming out into Bakers Lane. Then turned right and next to a house was another footpath that came out onto Batchelor’s Lane, turned left and eventually came to a field of which Horton Tower was in. Spoke to a lady on our way back whose garden backs onto footpath, she said Queen’s Copse has a lovely display of bluebells. Told to park in layby opposite Wolfrida Church. Going back there hopefully next week.

You have to keep the other half happy don’t you? Especially when she drops you off for the home matches. :grinning:

Went over to Pamphill this afternoonto see the bluebells, best I have seen there so far, a real carpet of blue.

Seem to be out early this year in places.

;