Summer comings and goings

kirsikka

UTC Legend
Assuming we finally put this season to bed with another win or two and so PL planning can continue, what are your hopes and expectations for this summer's comings and goings? Given the amount we spent in January I'm not sure if we can afford a lot to be incoming but with a couple of sales it might be we see a little bit of movement.

I expect:
1. Mings will be sold. My guess is £10 million to a Championship club that aren't Villa. Unless AV hit the jackpot in the play offs in which case he'll go there for £15 million.

2. Arter will be sold. My guess is £5-7 million. He's worth more but I think we'll allow him to leave for this so that he can go to the club he wants to in recognition of his contribution.

3. Pugh will leave. Boo. Yes, this time it's boo.

4. Artur will sign a new one year contract.

5. Ibe will sign a new contract so he isn't a free agent in 12 months. Party at Druss's house to celebrate?

6. Begovic to stay. I know that isn't the view of many but I think that's what will end up happening.

7. Nothing to happen at LB. Rico will be given another year to show what he can do and Daniels will carry on. I guess Brad Smith will find a permanent new home.

8. Emerson Hyndman will be sold/released (not sure on his contract?). His career is wasting away here and given some of the benches recently that he hasn't been able to make that doesn't look like it will change.

9. Sam Surridge will go out on loan to a lower half Championship club to a see if he can cut it.

I hope:
1. Fraser will sign a new contract but if he doesn't then I expect him to be sold. If sold, we'd have to reinvest the money, less Aberdeen % etc, in a direct replacement.

2. We sign a new RB. Adam Smith and Simon Francis are not enough alone, especially since Francis is more a CB these days and we won't know how well he's recovered from his injury for some time. I expect if we do it will be a young one with potential rather than a immediately displace Smith star signing. I don't expect Clyne to come back. Since his first game or two he's looked pretty ordinary when he should have the quality to shine.

3. We sign a new CM. If Arter was fully himself here and happy here it wouldn't be needed but since he'll be moving on we need another quality option there. This is where I'd expect to see most of the money available spent.

One year left according to this:

https://bournemouth-forum.vitalfootball.co.uk/threads/afcb-players-contracts.80/page-9

Although looking at that surely a question mark has to hang over Mousset. He's been third choice striker for a large tranche of the season but has seemingly made little impact and then we went out and spent big on Solanke.

I get the argument that he hasn't been given an extended run in the way some other players have but sometimes you have to grasp the opportunity when it comes or it could slip away. A bit like it has for Mings for various injury or suspension related reasons.

At a guess we'll either extend his contract, if he is willing, and send him on loan to a Championship team to try and get 46 games under his belt with Surridge then staying as fourth choice next season or he may well be off as well.

Resolve the futures of:
Begovic, Boruc, Mings, Ibe & Mousset (the latter both have one year left on their contracts and are out of favour it seems).
Arter, Hyndman, B.Smith, Pugh (definitely sold/released).
Francis (does he carry on as a player or become full time coach?)

There's potentially quite a few squad outgoings there. Squad places on the fringes can be replaced by promoting youth like Ramsdale, K.Taylor, Ofoborh, Surridge etc. Or perhaps the club would prefer to farm them out on loan again. It'll be a tricky balance to strike because we want the younger lads getting game time but we also need cover in our squad.

First team signings will be required in central midfield and full back at least, probably goalkeeper also.
How much can we afford if/when the training ground gets underway?

I can foresee us practically needing to make a sale to cover the cost of some in-comings, given the expenditure we've already seen this season and the gaps we'll need to recruit in shortly. Perhaps that's an Ake, Fraser or someone. It'll be tough to swallow whoever it is, but let's try to keep it at one outgoing. At all costs we need to avoid falling into the Southampton trap of selling all the best players in one season.

Assuming we finally put this season to bed with another win or two and so PL planning can continue, what are your hopes and expectations for this summer's comings and goings? Given the amount we spent in January I'm not sure if we can afford a lot to be incoming but with a couple of sales it might be we see a little bit of movement.

I expect:
1. Mings will be sold. My guess is £10 million to a Championship club that aren't Villa. Unless AV hit the jackpot in the play offs in which case he'll go there for £15 million.

2. Arter will be sold. My guess is £5-7 million. He's worth more but I think we'll allow him to leave for this so that he can go to the club he wants to in recognition of his contribution.

3. Pugh will leave. Boo. Yes, this time it's boo.

4. Artur will sign a new one year contract.

5. Ibe will sign a new contract so he isn't a free agent in 12 months. Party at Druss's house to celebrate?

6. Begovic to stay. I know that isn't the view of many but I think that's what will end up happening.

7. Nothing to happen at LB. Rico will be given another year to show what he can do and Daniels will carry on. I guess Brad Smith will find a permanent new home.

8. Emerson Hyndman will be sold/released (not sure on his contract?). His career is wasting away here and given some of the benches recently that he hasn't been able to make that doesn't look like it will change.

9. Sam Surridge will go out on loan to a lower half Championship club to a see if he can cut it.

I hope:
1. Fraser will sign a new contract but if he doesn't then I expect him to be sold. If sold, we'd have to reinvest the money, less Aberdeen % etc, in a direct replacement.

2. We sign a new RB. Adam Smith and Simon Francis are not enough alone, especially since Francis is more a CB these days and we won't know how well he's recovered from his injury for some time. I expect if we do it will be a young one with potential rather than a immediately displace Smith star signing. I don't expect Clyne to come back. Since his first game or two he's looked pretty ordinary when he should have the quality to shine.

3. We sign a new CM. If Arter was fully himself here and happy here it wouldn't be needed but since he'll be moving on we need another quality option there. This is where I'd expect to see most of the money available spent.
Rico needs to hit the ground running next season. It's not fair to rely on Charlie for a whole season and we should cherish the memory of him at his best. Not being tortured by young and pacey wingers.

Priorities are bolstering our midfield, buying a 1st choice goalkeeper and getting Rico fluent in Inglés for the new season.

RB and a CM for me aswell, keeper if there's a decent one available. I'd loan Simpson out for 6 months aswell. Either loan or sell Mousset too.

to our keeper problem, how about Neil Etheridge of cardiff? he's proven himself quality at times, just let down by the men infront of him, if not perhaps pope, burnley have too many keepers, i can just see dyche being a d**k dealing with us tho.

need to get clyne as RB cover if we can. is he out of our reach? im not sure

and definatly at least one more midfielder

maybe another CB??

i look at our team and compared to other premier league team we seem to lack any real depth. injuries cripple us to oftern, when we get a couple at anyone time its all about scraping through games again.

to our keeper problem, how about Neil Etheridge of cardiff? he's proven himself quality at times, just let down by the men infront of him, if not perhaps pope, burnley have too many keepers, i can just see dyche being a d**k dealing with us tho.

need to get clyne as RB cover if we can. is he out of our reach? im not sure

and definatly at least one more midfielder

maybe another CB??

i look at our team and compared to other premier league team we seem to lack any real depth. injuries cripple us to oftern, when we get a couple at anyone time its all about scraping through games again.
The injury thing is quite interesting. I think we have been pretty lucky since we have been in the premier league up until this season. In the last couple of seasons I can remember Palace and Watford being absolutely decimated by injuries so it's not just us. Any club outside of the top 6 is going to have these sort of seasons and not have a massive squad depth.

The squad limit in the PL is 25. The issue for clubs outside the top 6 isn’t quantity it’s quality.

Next season we are going to have a number of players counting as over 21 so we are going to be pretty much on the 25 limit. If we are going to strengthen in all the positions suggested, we will need to move on a few too

I would like to look for a new keeper if I'm honest....I do like Bego still but think he's losing the confidence of the fans. I would keep Artur as back up. Not too sure what we could get, thats the only thing - Etheridge is a good shout....it would be a case of finding good quality without breaking the bank though.

Right back is essential....centre midfield of course, even allowing for Lewis to come back. We need to be in a position to not have to rely on Charlie, Franno, Gosling and Surman to be first choices basically.

Mason Mount has been mentioned as a loan for the season, that would be a quality addition. Still think we need a bit of extra flair so not to rely on when Brooks has an off day.

I would like to look for a new keeper if I'm honest....I do like Bego still but think he's losing the confidence of the fans. I would keep Artur as back up. Not too sure what we could get, thats the only thing - Etheridge is a good shout....it would be a case of finding good quality without breaking the bank though.

Right back is essential....centre midfield of course, even allowing for Lewis to come back. We need to be in a position to not have to rely on Charlie, Franno, Gosling and Surman to be first choices basically.

Mason Mount has been mentioned as a loan for the season, that would be a quality addition. Still think we need a bit of extra flair so not to rely on when Brooks has an off day.
Etheridge looks a good keeper but is he comfortable playing out from the back? It's not something Warnock has his keepers doing but it's massive for Eddie.

If we're going for a keeper then the obvious candidate would be Butland but I can't see anyone stumping up £10 million for Begovic and don't think we would accept a loss on him. That's why I think he'll still be here. It will be seen as a less of a priority with other areas that need strengthening more.

RB and creative CM , one who can play further up the pitch than Lewis normally does ..
A few of the squad to be loaned or sold ....
EH to play three in the middle more often than he does now and for the players to have the right attitude to fight and battle when it’s tough away from home - no more awful runs like we’ve had this season...
The management and players to take the cups seriously and to try and go for one of them ....
The club to buy back DC and redevelop it to increase capacity...

That’ll do me .

UTCIAD.

;