The next Bournemouth?

RichGo

Star Player
If only it was that simple... get foreign investment, buy a few players and then in a couple of years (maybe three), your team is in the Premier League.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jun/27/northampton-town-league-one-chinese-takeover

This totally overlooks the "Howe effect"... it's a great manager that makes all the difference. Yes, having Max Demin and his dollars was a contributing factor but if it was down to investors and money Villa, Leeds, Norwich, Sunderland, Hull, Fulham, Middlesborough, Wolves, etc. would all be back in the PL.

Still quite an interesting read... and no doubt for a few months they'll all be living the dream.

How did he manage to surprise the staff surely the Chinese would have invested in due diligence? Or is that yet to come?

The thing with our rise was no one quite knew how much money we had at the time. I mean even when Russian investment was announced, it was very mysterious and most of the focus was on Mitchell's continuing involvement.

Our initial signings were expensive by our standards but not overly extravagant. Considering the number of players sold by Mitchell, 175k for Daniels, 200k for Elphick and £300k for Cook were just re-investments of the fees we received for Ings, Robinson, Malone etc.

Without the fanfare of a well publicised investor, its true we crept under the radar in the eyes of our rivals. By the time we completed the jigsaw with Eddie's return, we'd already quietly assembled a very capable (albeit poorly managed) squad.

The problem anyone trying to emulate us will have is they make themselves targets for everyone else. I'm not sure big expensive signings really work in the lower leagues (Sol Campbell!) but also most investors will seek attention too. Really it's an extremely unique set of circumstances which allowed our rise and something very difficult to emulate IMO.

...no one will ever match our achievements IMO...from near obscurity to The PL...and beyond!

cockbeard - 27/6/2017 16:22

Tried to rename Hull and tried making Cardiff dress like Wrexham

Hull's owner is an Egyptian and Cardiff's owner is Malaysian.

Garbo - 27/6/2017 15:58

...no one will ever match our achievements IMO...from near obscurity to The PL...and beyond!

Ummmmmmmmmmm.......................................

Wigan?

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11682/9828325/wigan-athletic-a-brief-history-of-the-relegated-club

I was rather thinking of non league to Premiership in a few decades, 8 seasons there, an FA Cup and a bit of Europe as well Harry.

All done with a tiny supporter base.

Does that make me a bad person?
Or just a closet Wigan fan? :grin:

I remember seeing this story on a BBC programme, seems their fans were due a change in fortunes.

The people of Northampton want to know what has happened to their missing millions.

The borough council loaned £10.25m to Northampton Town Football Club to redevelop the stadium and nearby land, but the funds have seemingly vanished, leaving an unfinished stand and the football club almost going under.

This story began four years ago when a decision was made to invest in the new stand. Now a police inquiry is under way into "alleged financial irregularities".

A BBC investigation has traced where most of the loan money seems to have gone, uncovering allegations millions of pounds was misappropriated by the developer appointed to oversee the project.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-36342097

;