What Are The Rules Re Blocking A Free-kick Being Taken?

billythekid

UTC Legend
Simon Francis was blocked by I think Son from taking the free-kick so he had to pass sideways, which led to the Son goal.

Surely that is a booking or have the rules been changed?

One of Son’s goals was offside, the freeze frame showed by of his leg/foot was in an offside position.

Francis didn’t have to pass, could have waited. Dean should have sorted it out but failed to do so.

It would be a ticking off from the ref if he stayed there which would have wasted more time if we waited for it, hence why Francis chose to get the game going instead. Happens every game. If someone continually repeats it or just doens't move they might get booked but it's rare.

Offside yes but so tight it would have taken VAR to call it. Don't mention that on here!

billythekid - 11/3/2018 18:41

Simon Francis was blocked by I think Son from taking the free-kick so he had to pass sideways, which led to the Son goal.

Surely that is a booking or have the rules been changed?

One of Son’s goals was offside, the freeze frame showed by of his leg/foot was in an offside position.

Once upon a time Francis would have kicked the ball at Son, Son would have been booked and Mike Dean would then have marched the ball, all eyes on me style ten yards for a free kick in what would then be a dangerous position.

These days it's seems to be a finger wag offence.

kirsikka - 11/3/2018 18:45

It would be a ticking off from the ref if he stayed there which would have wasted more time if we waited for it, hence why Francis chose to get the game going instead. Happens every game. If someone continually repeats it or just doens't move they might get booked but it's rare.

Offside yes but so tight it would have taken VAR to call it. Don't mention that on here!

This. Franno deciced to just get on with it.
Refs have been soft on "delaying the restart" all season long.

Agree ref. the Son offside. So tight no official can call it. I can live with that decision tbh.

The Son offside would have been chalked off with VAR, although none of us spotted it as it happened, so no blame for the linesman.

I think Franno should have waited another ten seconds and got the ref to push Son back, simple as that. But then Lewis should then have popped it straight into the box once he received the ball. His only mistake of the whole game though.

Son took the game by the scruff of the neck basically, as he did against The Old Lady but wasnt allowed to get away with it on that occasion. We are so nice, - so, so nice.

Payers seem reluctant to get a fellow pro booked by smashing the ball against someone standing on the ball to prevent a quick free kick. Franno should've smashed it against Son, got him booked and whacked it upfield.

....so many of the old rules of the game seem to have melted away...the time a GK has holding the ball, Blocking of free kicks, players kicking the ball away to waste time, throw ins that take an age when a team is in front...

all I want is some consistency for penalty awards, which at the moment is really bad in most games...Sane should have had one v Man Utd and to be honest so should Son against us...as well as Daniels last week...

;