07/01/1984 - 40 Years Ago Today

I'm surprised that no one else has beaten me to this, but I guess it shows how far we've come in the last 10 years!

Saturday 7th January 1984

FA Cup Round 3, AFC Bournemouth v Manchester United

Boscombe. fourth bottom of the Third Division, beaten 2-1 at Port Vale last time out, taking on the FA Cup holders, Manchester United. For a 19 year old me, after almost 10 years of watching the Cherries, we finally had a big FA Cup draw! There couldn't possibly be a shock in this one, could there??!

I seem to remember the first half being fairly even, but we certainly weren't under any great pressure. On the hour, Bournemouth won a corner at the Brighton Beach End. Chris Sulley swung the corner in, left footed from in front of the main stand and the ball found it's way to the far post where Milton GRAHAM hooked the ball in and Dean Court went wild! We were all still pinching ourselves when 2 minutes later the unbelievable happened. Everald La Ronde floated in a free kick from near the half way line. Trevor Morgan won a header and as England captain Bryan Robson failed to clear, Ian THOMPSON nipped in to smash home the Cherries second. Time crept on and despite a crowd overspill on to the pitch and a (correctly) disallowed United goal, Bournemouth ran out worthy winners. The Cherries earned national and international headlines and I don't think us fans came back down to earth for about a week.

AFCB 2 MU 0

AFCB: Leigh, La Ronde, Sulley, Savage, Brown, Brignull, Train, Nightingale, Morgan, Graham, Thompson

MU: Bailey, Moses, Albiston (Macari), Wilkins, Hogg, Duxbury, Robson, Muhren, Stapleton, Whiteside, Graham

Att: 14,782

To put this into perspective, it would be like Cheltenham Town beating Liverpool or Manchester City's full first team this weekend, no weakened cup teams in those days.

Whoever could have imagined that we would be playing league games against them? But it was certainly a cup game I'll never forget.

Second row of Block E in ST seats with my Dad.

Ron Atkinson from memory wasn’t a happy soul after the game.

Last edited:
Redknapp had just made a name for himself, and naturally made the most of it. “We’d been to Windsor & Eton in the previous round and got kicked to pieces,” he later recalled. “We got a draw and brought them back to ours knowing that whoever won the replay was going to play United. It was a proper old-fashioned Cup tie in the second round, a real tough game that we just scraped through. To be honest, we had less trouble with United than we did with Windsor & Eton.”

1704649135612.png

1704649738436.png
Milton Graham gives Bournemouth the lead against Manchester United. ‘When it was still scoreless at half-time we began to believe in ourselves,’ says the other goalscorer, Ian Thompson.

I'm surprised that no one else has beaten me to this, but I guess it shows how far we've come in the last 10 years!

Saturday 7th January 1984

FA Cup Round 3, AFC Bournemouth v Manchester United

Boscombe. fourth bottom of the Third Division, beaten 2-1 at Port Vale last time out, taking on the FA Cup holders, Manchester United. For a 19 year old me, after almost 10 years of watching the Cherries, we finally had a big FA Cup draw! There couldn't possibly be a shock in this one, could there??!

I seem to remember the first half being fairly even, but we certainly weren't under any great pressure. On the hour, Bournemouth won a corner at the Brighton Beach End. Chris Sulley swung the corner in, left footed from in front of the main stand and the ball found it's way to the far post where Milton GRAHAM hooked the ball in and Dean Court went wild! We were all still pinching ourselves when 2 minutes later the unbelievable happened. Everald La Ronde floated in a free kick from near the half way line. Trevor Morgan won a header and as England captain Bryan Robson failed to clear, Ian THOMPSON nipped in to smash home the Cherries second. Time crept on and despite a crowd overspill on to the pitch and a (correctly) disallowed United goal, Bournemouth ran out worthy winners. The Cherries earned national and international headlines and I don't think us fans came back down to earth for about a week.

AFCB 2 MU 0

AFCB: Leigh, La Ronde, Sulley, Savage, Brown, Brignull, Train, Nightingale, Morgan, Graham, Thompson

MU: Bailey, Moses, Albiston (Macari), Wilkins, Hogg, Duxbury, Robson, Muhren, Stapleton, Whiteside, Graham

Att: 14,782

To put this into perspective, it would be like Cheltenham Town beating Liverpool or Manchester City's full first team this weekend, no weakened cup teams in those days.

Whoever could have imagined that we would be playing league games against them? But it was certainly a cup game I'll never forget.
Yes I was there. I remember saying to my Father before kick off that I was concerned that John Beck was injured.

Not that I thought we'd win but when I heard their team news I thought they had some weak links, namely Graham, Albiston, Duxbury and Hogg.

For perhaps the only time watching the Cherries when we scored the second goal I could scarcely believe what had happened. I was incredulous.

An unsung hero for us was Ray Train, on loan from Oxford United and played seven games for us. Just 5'5" but tough, combative and skilful I wonder where, in his 558 game, nine club career, he rates that match ?

Man Utd came to Bournemouth thinking that the game would just be a stroll in the park. Their general approach and attitude to the game was deplorable.

Yes, didn't Atkinson say something in an interview along the lines of "..we're looking forward to a nice relaxing weekend by the seaside", or similar ?

Came back to haunt him all right.

;