14th January 2011

oldcherry

New Signing
I don't want to go all Al and quote too much factual history, but a little perspective on this date. As I recall there were about two hundred away supporters there to see us lose 2 -1 away to Colchester. Supa scored a great header and the players mobbed Eddie. We then let in two sloppy goals - never been able to defend. This was a difficult night and I haven't forgotten the very small group of six or so supporters shouting 'Judas' at the end of the game. We knew Eddie was leaving despite having saved us, got us promoted and high up the table. It was hard to take then. The following October the next phase started. We were in a bad position and managerially things were low. By and large, since then we've been spoilt and personally I find the sense of entitlement that has developed in part of our fan base quite alien. I don't think Eddie has betrayed me and I'm glad to have seen the full story. We have moved a long way from playing Colchester and I share the mixed feelings about whether I'd prefer to go back to those days. In many ways a lot more enjoyable but we get to see something different, too, and the quality even when we're losing is a 'different class'. One other thing was that that fixture was changed to an unusual time/day for Sky. Some things don't change.

I was there that night aswell and you're right it was strange. It was like having your last shag with your girlfriend after she'd told you she was breaking up with you. I think the bit that hurt was the few days / week before that when he turned down Charlton & Palace , said he was going nowhere and then sprung Burnley on us. I was gutted EH left but was pissed off in the manner he left. I must admit I didn't applaud Eddie at the end, looking back I wish I had .

Also there, found out Howe was leaving in the club shop before getting the coach. Didn’t make for a fun trip up.

Stadium in an industrial estate so nothing to do, dark and damp. More atmosphere at a wake, fans shouting abuse at Josh McQuoid and at full time at Howe.

More fans cheered him but those that did got abuse from those giving him grief.

All rather depressing.

...a different type of depressing to now though in terms of where we are and the current expectations (which may be too high for ourselves)

;