17 years ago today

I think Crewe or Rochdale of the long standing league teams would be those we've played least .
I have been to Rochdale a couple of times and Crewe quite a few. In the northern clubs category, I would suggest Barrow as they were in the old Div 3 North, were out of the league for an absolute age and not readmitted until we were higher up the divisions.

Interesting note (perhaps) on Barrow. They were owned for a while by Stephen Vaughan. Apart from being a convicted criminal, he also owned Chester City around the time that Baker and Savvi were extant at Bournemouth.

My memory is everything on a scale between recalling minute details and 'was I actually there that day?'
This match is somwhere right in the middle. It was a lovely day and I took the bus from Poole. I believe that they scored first and Jamie Hayter got the equaliser.

The match that you mention was the following season, was also a warm day, and I think that Darren Anderton scored our goal. Didn't their goalscorer come straight off the bench and hit the net with his first and only touch of the ball?
I have always regarded Gillyhoof as somewhat of a bogey side for us.

That one you're describing in your second paragraph was 2 seasons later. Opening game of the 08/09 season, a day or two after being deducted 17 points. Anderton scored after dribbling about 40 yards through their defence and he looked shattered afterwards.

I was looking at this the other day with us and Southampton having little “history”.

Interestingly (well to me at least) we’ve played Reading 116 times and Southampton only 34 times.

But over the past 25 years we’ve now played Southampton more often than we’ve played Reading.

Which will obviously see a shift amongst how supporters view those particularly rivalries as anyone under the age of 30 would see Reading as just a local ish side who we barely ever play.

Edit - Very similar story with Gillingham too. We’ve played them 94 times, but haven’t faced them since 2011 and over the past 25+ years we’ve faced them fewer times than Southampton.

Brentford is 117 times.
Love stats like that.

Reactions: DJ
My memory is everything on a scale between recalling minute details and 'was I actually there that day?'
This match is somwhere right in the middle. It was a lovely day and I took the bus from Poole. I believe that they scored first and Jamie Hayter got the equaliser.

The match that you mention was the following season, was also a warm day, and I think that Darren Anderton scored our goal. Didn't their goalscorer come straight off the bench and hit the net with his first and only touch of the ball?
I have always regarded Gillyhoof as somewhat of a bogey side for us.
The game I was thinking of was away, thankfully, I’ve not been there since

Saw this nice vid yesterday about an ex-Chezzer turned Palace club legend. I think he's played over 300 top flight games for them. Anyway the second guy in refers to how far back he goes with Ward and if I'm not mistaken they were both in the squad for this Gillingham game.

Very nice vid. IIRC he scored his only Cherries goal in his final game at Morecambe, the week after the safety Saturday win against Grimsby. 300, that's a lot of Premier league games! That's some achievement. He has always struck me as a decent solid professional. I bet he never imagined he'd play against us in the PL!

Saw this nice vid yesterday about an ex-Chezzer turned Palace club legend. I think he's played over 300 top flight games for them. Anyway the second guy in refers to how far back he goes with Ward and if I'm not mistaken they were both in the squad for this Gillingham game.

Interview last week with ex Reading Dave Kitson on Price of Football podcast, he and host (Kevin Day,a Palace fan), we're both throwing plaudits at Ward .

;